PDA

View Full Version : One more BBB mojo/good thoughts request

JTsMom
02-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Compared to some of the ones we've had lately, this one is a little silly, but this issue has been such an enormous source of stress for my little family lately, that I thought I'd ask anyway...

A year ago last November (so Nov. 06), my MIL passed away after a long battle with some health issues. The bulk of her estate was the house DH lived his whole life in. It is in Long Beach, so even though it's an older, small-ish house, it's worth quite a bit of $ (by our standars anyway). The house was to be divided equally by DH and BIL.

This is such a long story, I'm going to try to give the shortest version possible. Basically, BIL (a convicted felon and big drug user, who is quite unbalanced mentally) wanted to buy us out, and started making plans to do so before MIL even passed. We were fine with that. BIL started painting, doing some repairs etc, and moved his gf in (did I mention he is married?) Meanwhile, time kept passing, and we kept taking more and more steps to try to close this deal. He's done everything from not returning calls, to outright lying to us, to threatening us with bodily harm/burning the house to the ground. We could not force a sale of the house for 1 yr b/c of a clause in MIL's trust.

We've now to hire/pay for 2 seperate lawyers, and used the bulk of the other $ that was in the estate trying to settle this matter. (DH is the executor, for obvious reasons.)

Yesterday marked the latest "get your stuff and get out" deadline set by our current lawyer. B/c BIL made some threats while he was on the phone with the lawyer a few weeks back, the lawyer suggested getting an emergency restraining order and 3 day eviction. He was supposed to get back to us last week, but hasn't returned any of our phone calls.

DH and I are just so emotionally drained, and so tired of feeling powerless. We aren't starving here or anything, but we've really been counting on that money for over a year now. When we made the move here to GA, DH took a paycut, and our health insurance costs skyrocketed- we pay close to 1K/month, and part of the reason we felt we could afford to do that was b/c of this money.

Please, send some good thoughts that this situation will take a turn for the positive today. We've already lost at least 80K in equity b/c of the real-estate market in CA, and I hate to see even more go down the tubes. MIL was a single mom back in the 70's, who worked her fingers to the bone to pay for this house, and it breaks my heart to see that work going to wasted b/c of this UA violation.

mama2g03
02-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Hugs. That situation sounds exhausting. How sad that your DH's own brother is being such a jerk. I hope things get resolved for you quickly so you won't have to deal with such a toxic personality anymore.

mommyoftwo
02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
What a horrible situation! I truly hope that things are resolved quickly and you can get on with your life. Your BIL sounds like a real piece of work.

elektra
02-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Hang in there!
It's so true how when you mix money and family things can get ugly. Your BIL sounds like a piece of work, BTW!
Try to keep thinking positive. :)

JTsMom
02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the support all.

Now he's saying he's living there! :32: :banghead: :hopmad:

Next step is an unlawful detainer I guess.

KBecks
02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I hope it gets better soon. Good luck!

gatorsmom
02-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Big hugs and lots of positive-resolution thoughts. I hope this turns around for you quickly. Sounds exhausting.

anamika
02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
I feel tired just after reading about it - I can't imagine how hard it is going through it.
Sending lots of positive thoughts.