PDA

View Full Version : Noisey Newborn

ChefGirl
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi,
My two weeks old DC is quiet noisey when he sleeps. First of all, he will only sleep in his car seat right now. Then, he grunts a lot. His face will turn flush red as if he's pushing puppy out. The he will also have loud high pitch sound as if he's trying to get comfortable. I don't know. I have experienced with my other two kids.

Just wondering if any of you mamas out there have similar experience.

thanks,
Mama to 3 kiddos

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Both of my boys were noisy sleepers. I couldn't sleep in the same room with them (dh would and I would sleep in the guest room).

At least till ds was 3 weeks old (I forgot to write it down, I know it ended before 6 weeks!) it sounded like he was constipated. As a bf baby the odds of that were really low. Dh did some research and found that it is just normal to act like that. I guess they spend so long keeping the anal sphincter closed that they have to learn to use it right and loosen up. It just comes with practice.

I don't know about the high pitched noise.

Beth

daniele_ut
02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Everything you describe sounds totally normal to me. DS was a very noisy sleeper and now DD is as well. She often makes high pitched squeaking noises as she's sleeping or rousing from sleep. I don't think I'll last long with her in our room - probably until we get a second monitor and then I'll move her next door into her own room at night so we can all get some sleep!

elephantmeg
02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
yeah DS was and I think I woke him up to feed him a ton when he wasn't really awake yet-he'd make some waking up hungry noises and I'd pick him up half asleep and realize he wasn't really awake. Argh! He started sleeping much better when I moved him to the nursery (around 6 weeks I think). Since DS and DD will be sharing a room I'm half thinking about DD sleeping in the 1/2 bath attached to our room (with the door open of course!)

Joshuasmommy
02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
My son did the same thing and was diagnosed with tracheomalacia which is basically a floppy windpipe. He grew out of it and it caused him no problems. I just had to keep a closer eye on him when he got a cold in case he had breathing issues but he never did.

Tondi G
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Both my boys were pretty noisy newborns.... my 2nd was loud for a long time. We moved him to another room when he was 8 weeks and it made a huge difference in everyone's sleep! He would grunt and groan and squeak and keep DH and I from getting any decent sleep! Even now as a 2 year old he can be a noisy sleeper... groaning and talking and laughing in his sleep!

Good luck... hope your little one outgrows it quick!

~Tondi

shilo
02-12-2008, 07:27 PM
He would grunt and groan and squeak and keep DH and I from getting any decent sleep! Even now as a 2 year old he can be a noisy sleeper... groaning and talking and laughing in his sleep!

that was sam, exactly (still is). grunt, groan, squeak, whistle, hum, sigh, moan, puff, even little raspberry sounding noises. pedi listened and said it was completely normal at the time. if it weren't for the complete and utter lack of sleep for me, it would have been comical. now, at 2.8, he's only really bad when he has a cold, but if we are in the same room (like at a hotel), he definitely still has some little sighs, hums and moans thru out the night.

hang in there, lori

alleyoop
02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Our first was so quiet that when #2 came along and kept us up all night we really thought that something was wrong. OMG, she was so loud with the grunting and moaning and sputtering. CONSTANTLY!! Our Ped pretty much looked at us like we were crazy. Well, I wasn't ready to move her into her own room so we moved the cradle into the walk in closet. I know, it is ridiculous, but it was still close enough to hear her very well, but just enough separation so that we could block out the grunting. Yep, she spent her first 12 weeks sleeping under DH's pants. You do what you have to!

nfowife
02-14-2008, 12:13 AM
yeah DS was and I think I woke him up to feed him a ton when he wasn't really awake yet-he'd make some waking up hungry noises and I'd pick him up half asleep and realize he wasn't really awake. Argh! He started sleeping much better when I moved him to the nursery (around 6 weeks I think). Since DS and DD will be sharing a room I'm half thinking about DD sleeping in the 1/2 bath attached to our room (with the door open of course!)

My kid's rooms are adjacent to each other with a door in between and I was worried about them waking each other up. So until DS was about 8 months old, he slept in our master bedroom walk-in closet! I even had to move his real crib in there because he outgrew the mini cosleeper we have (it's a pretty big closet). It worked great, though!
:)

bubbaray
02-14-2008, 12:16 AM
My son did the same thing and was diagnosed with tracheomalacia which is basically a floppy windpipe. He grew out of it and it caused him no problems. I just had to keep a closer eye on him when he got a cold in case he had breathing issues but he never did.

Same here, except the dr's called it laryngomalacia. They said DD#2 would grow out of it by ~6m and she did.