PDA

View Full Version : Need two seats for Grandma's car--long, need advice

HIU8
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM
We will be going to visit grandma this summer for 2 weeks without DH. We will be in FL and will be driving every day to do things (parks, water, sea world etc...). DS will be 3.5 and he has a Marathon that we have traveled with before. He is now RF. We have one of those backpack carry cases that you put the carseat in, so I can wear it on my back through the airport. DD is currently in a Safeseat. When we go to FL she will be 14 months and I don't know if she will still be in that seat though.

Stats: DD is currently 8 months, 21 lbs and roughly 30 inches
DS is 3 yrs and 3 months, 29 lbs and 37ish inches

My mother has a 2000 Nissan Altima with Latch

Here are my questions:

1.I would prefer to have DS in a carseat on the plane. However, if I choose to have him fly without the carseat (don't flame me, I have not made this decision yet), what is the easiest seat to have my mother get for him that I will be able to install in the airport garage--don't know if it will be RF or FF at that point--depending whether he has a growth spurt.

2. If DD is still in the Safeseat, can I use it for 2 weeks without the base? If not, I will be bringing a seat for her on the plane (it will be a Marathon)that I know I can install quickly when we get there.

3. I would prefer both seats to be installed with Latch outboard in my mother's car, but that won't be an option as we have to drive a third person around. What two carseats will fit best next to each other (preferably both RF)?

mom2binsd
02-12-2008, 01:58 AM
It sounds like you have a seat purchased for your DD, and if she is still in the Safeseat, I'd pack the base in large duffle, pad it and bring it along, if you're getting in and out a lot it's such a pain esp. in the hot FL weather to be fussing with seat belts. I was able to get my base checked and not have it count as a piece of luggage when I showed them it was a carseat piece.

If she's out of the Safeseat, maybe purchase a Scenera (they have that cute pink at Walmart), it's very light and easy to install and a decent seat for about 40.00 and perfect for travel/as a backup seat and RF till 35 pounds.

If you can swing it, backpack your DS's MA and maybe put your DD's carseat on your stroller to get through the airport (I think there should be a special training regime for mom's planning to travel with kids on their own!).

I'll let others chime in as to whether you should check your DS's MA as luggage (then your only worry is if it's lost) or if what type of seat you mom could buy for use at her end.

Sorry I've only given an answer to half your questions.

Joolsplus2
02-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Hmmm... pondering...(use the following thoughts at your own discretion, lol)
I was glad I took a Scenera on the plane instead of my SS1, because I ended up putting it FF on the plane (18 mo dd)... still couldn't use the tray table, but it fit SO easily it made my life just a lot simpler.
Radian (should be available now) now goes to 35 RF and fits *beautifully* ff on a plane (can use tray table, folds to get through the airport). Very tall for continued RF benefit when you are back in your own car.
SS1 is 'easy enough' to use baseless... but try it before you decide...take the base out at home and give it a dry run for a few days and see if you can stand it?
CARES harness is good for preschoolers on the plane up to 44 pounds...then you only have one seat to deal with.
Bring Marathon, install for baby, let preschooler sit in just the seatbelt, have Grandma pick up a Scenera....

Just ideas! (I haven't traveled with kids that young since before I knew better, I had a backless booster delivered to grandma's house...ugh...)

HIU8
02-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I was thinking of investing in the Scenera (or having my mother do that and having it in FL when we get there). DS is no where near outgrowning his MA so I'm not crazy about spending $$ on another really good seat until hea needs it. I have to wait and see if DD outgrows the Safeseat over the summer and then I will know if I am taking a Marathon for her or just using the Safeseat. If I send the base through what are the chances of it being ruined by the airline personnel?

Will the Cares harness work on a super skinny 3.5yr old? DS is just 29 lbs fully clothed.

Also, how difficult is it to install the Scenera RF VS. FF? I'm going to be doing the quickest easiest install since we will be standing in an airport parking garage while I figure this out.

Thanks.

o_mom
02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I think what I would do is have you mother get a Scenera. Then take the baby in the SS1 and have the older one use a CARES harness on the plane. When you get there the older one uses the Scenera. Second option would be to have the baby use the MA, older one the CARES, then have the older one use the MA and the younger one the Scenera. Sell the CARES harness when you get home if you don't think you will need it again.

Installing the Scenera RF isn't horrible, but it takes a couple tricks. First is to have a couple sections of pool noodle. Second thing is to pull back the cover on the side you need to access the seatbelt or LATCH strap to pull. Then pull from inside the seat on the 'tail'. This gives you the proper angle to get it to tighten. If you can, get in front of the seat (toward the front of the car) and push it to the back and down while you tighten. There is a great video at http://www.carseatsite.com/videos.htm

If possible, I would install them both with LATCH at the airport and then work on the side-by-side when you get to their house. It is hard to say if those seats will install easily next to each other in that car. It's not tiny, but not huge. If you have to, I would say put your older one FF in the center in the MA to make it work.

I think the SS base will check fine. I am planning on checking mine when we fly next. I'm going to put it in our 'big' suitcase and pack clothes around it.

Canna
02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
You may want to check how your DS fits in the Scenera around the time that you plan to travel, if the Scenera ends up being part of your plan. I was alarmed recently to find that my 39 inch 36 month-old DD has shoulders above the top slots in her Scenera now! Had to run out and get her a taller seat (the new Graco Nautilus was the one we ended up with) for DH's car. Of course it depends more on your DS's torso height than overall height, but my DD is not all torso or anything - she's a pretty proportionate kid, I think.

HIU8
02-12-2008, 04:30 PM
DS just moved to the third slots in his Marathon. I don't know how the slots in the scenera compare to the Marathon though.