PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on swallowed magnets

ThreeofUs
02-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Hey, All-

I just saw this on nytimes.com and had an "aha" moment about keeping magnets away from DS. Thought you might want to see it, too.

(Mods: please move if I've posted to incorrect forum.)

Yours-
I

NYTimes.com, February 12, 2008
Toy Magnet Swallowed? No Problem. Two? Call 911.
By NICHOLAS BAKALAR

Swallowing a magnet the size of a watch battery is unlikely to cause health problems, but swallowing two can be fatal.

Braden Eberle, 4, of San Jose, Calif., told his mother that he had swallowed something, a tiny magnet attached to a toy. His mother assumed that it would pass through. The next day, his parents saw him swallow another.

Within 72 hours, Braden complained of mild pain in the left abdomen. He had no other symptoms and was not in any apparent distress, but his parents took him to the emergency room anyway. An X-ray showed what Dr. Sanjeev Dutta, in a case study published on Feb. 4 in The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, calls “an obvious opacity in the right lower quadrant area of the cecum,” a foreign object near the mouth of the large intestine.

An X-ray five hours later showed that the object was not moving properly. Dr. Dutta’s laparoscopy found the magnets stuck together, pinching bowel tissue.

They were removed when they stuck to the ends of the laparoscopic instrument. “I’m not trying to disrupt anyone’s day,” said Dr. Dutta, who is an assistant professor of pediatric surgery at Stanford. “But the message here is that these are dangerous toys. If you have little kids around, or even big kids, I would avoid them.”

MMEand1
02-12-2008, 04:38 PM
This is why some toys have been recalled...because multiple magnets were blocking the intestines. I think it was magnetix or something like that that was recalled a few years ago...The only magnets we have here are the flat ones on the fridge and we don't even have very many of those!!
MP

cmonbaby
02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for sharing this. It's incredibly important for the general public to read stories like these because as a pediatric nurse, this happens more often than we would like to see and it can truly be deadly. Thank goodness those parents knew their son swallowed the second or they might not have taken him in with his complaints.