PDA

View Full Version : Why must my mother call me every day during nap time

JTsMom
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Why? Whyyyyyyyyyy? You would think after the first- oh, I don't know- 100 times, she'd get the picture that when she calls between 11 and 1, she will wake up her grandson, and I will pay for the rest of the day. Why must she continue to do this? Usually, I try to remember to take the phone off of the hook once he's down, but I didn't get the chance today b/c he'd only been asleep for like 2 minutes, and I had to pee. Next time I will pee my pants if I have to.:32: :32: :32:

And the thing that really gets me is that I've already talked to her FOUR times this morning, and this last call was to ask me if I think she should bake a cake for my brother's gf's b-day. I don't care!!! I barely even know the girl I think she needs a hobby.

hellokitty
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Lol, are you my long lost sister? My mom does the same thing. Worse yet, when she wants to visit (she live about 50 min away), she ALWAYS wants to visit after lunch when the kids are down for a nap. My oldest is 4 yrs old, it has been FOUR yrs of me telling my mom, "no, you cannot come, they will be napping" and she still doesn't get it.

We have a uniden phone that I love that lets you put the ringer on silence. I did not know bout this feature until after we had gotten the phone. I LOVE it. I suspect that one reason my mom doesn't call as often during nap time anymore is b/c I put the phone on silence (it turns all four phones' ringers off, BUT there is still a red light that comes on when it rings, so if I'm awake and want to pick up the phone, I can, and the answering machine still works). Now she has resorted to calling me at 10pm, when I am watching my favorite shows on tv and getting ready to go to bed. She's just one of those ppl who always calls at annoying times.

MontrealMum
02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
We have a uniden phone that I love that lets you put the ringer on silence.

What is a uniden phone, and where can I get one? My mother calls constantly and our only peace of mind is that we have caller ID. But to be able to turn off all the ringers and still know when someone ELSE is calling would be wonderful :)

katydid1971
02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
My MIL does this then gets upset that I won't wake up DS so she can talk with him. Its not like she even works and this is the ONLY time during the day she can call!!!!! ARRGGG!!! DS has been on the same napping schedule for like a year so this isn't news!!!!! I turn the phones off and let it go to voice mail. If it is really important (like DH) people can call my cell which is a much softer ring.

lablover
02-13-2008, 11:16 AM
My Panasonic phone system (base unit with extra handset) has a feature where you can adjust the ringer volume and also put it on silence. I got it at Costco a couple of years ago but I'm sure you can find similar phones at places like Target.

JTsMom
02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Well, at least I'm not alone! I think she felt pretty badly about it, b/c she brought it up today, and asked if he'd gone back to sleep. I just flat out told her that it's usually impossible to get him back to sleep if he wakes up like that, and that naptime is between 11 and 1 every day. I felt a little bitchy saying it the way I did, but I can't take it any more!

Our phones do have the ringer volume/off feature, but you have to do it to every single handset individually, and I hate having to hunt them all down, so I usually just take it off the hook. We have voicemail, so if anyone calls, they can still leave a message.

kboyle
02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
hugs mama, my mom does the same thing too :(