PDA

View Full Version : Is a video monitor helpful for dc#2?

tmarie
02-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I must admit, I thought video monitors were ridiculous when I was preparing for dd#1. We purchased a cheap sound and lights monitor and it is still working great, 2.5 yrs later. Now that I have a toddler to keep an eye on, and a bigger house, I'm thinking it would be helpful. (It might save me from running up to check on the nursery, only to find baby is still sleeping, if that makes sense).

Any thoughts? And if so, which monitor we should buy? (We have cordless phones and wireless internet, so that may play into what we can consider). I know my dh is going to protest the big ticket item, so I'm trying to do my homework! :)

tmarie
mom to ellie 5/05
baby #2 7/08

danagee
02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
We are HUGE fans of the video monitors. We have the Summer Infant video monitors for both kids, 3 1/2 and 2.
I know 3 1/2 is pretty old for a monitor but we still love to be able to see him to make sure he's okay or to see if we need to go in to adjust his blankets or to see if he's just faking when he's calling us :) .

We've got wireless internet, phones, etc. but have never had any problems using these 2 monitors. We've even taken them outside and next door and they work fine.

Not only have the monitors been essential but we've truly enjoyed watching how our kids pu themselves to sleep, wake themselves up and play in bed or in their rooms.
Dana

o_mom
02-13-2008, 09:50 AM
We had a video monitor with DS1 that was a hand-me-down. When it died we bought this one:
http://www.saveateagle.com/bm-242a-n-v04.html?code=BM-242A-N-V04

It has worked well for us. We have wireless network and cordless phones. The only interference we get is the microwave. The screen was kind of small, but that was only compared to the old one (which was the size of a small TV).

I really like having a video monitor now that DS3 is past crying when he wakes up. I can also see when he is just fussing himself to sleep (still laying down, getting comfortable) vs. not going down at all (sitting or standing up).

tylersmama
02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
As an alternative to a video monitor, we use a webcam. It's set up so we can see into DS's crib and runs through our wireless network that we already had set up. There are a few really nice things about it as opposed to a video monitor...we can move the camera around to follow DS in his crib; we have it on our website (password protected, of course) so that the grandparents can look in whenever they want (they're all out of state); and we can move it around the house and use it even when we're done using it as a monitor. I LOVE having the webcam. I usually use DS's nap time as my internet time, so I just keep an extra tab open in my browser so I can check in on him. I love that I can check what position he's in and see if he's going to go back to sleep, or if he's tossed his bunny out of the crib (which of course means there will be no more sleeping until bunny returns :p).

Just wanted to throw that option out there. There is absolutely NO interference with anything because it's on our already set up wireless network. We do also have a plain old audio monitor as well, but I rarely use it these days (our house is small enough and DS loud enough that I can hear him as soon as he starts making any kind of noise, even without the monitor).