PDA

View Full Version : Twins and multiples (continuation of discussion started in suggestion box)

gatorsmom
02-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I have 2 month old twins as well as a 4.5 yr old and a 2.5 yr old. The twins pregnancy was very different and thankfully someone recommended the Barbara Luke book about twins. It was excellent.

Once the twins arrived, however, I've just muddled through as best I could with no twins support group. The ladies on this board were as helpful as they could be. I tried the multiples support groups on Mothering.com (they were a little too "crunchy" for me) and someothers but I found that I just didn't fit.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the pregnancy or the first 2 months postpartum because we've all survived thus far!!;) No guarantees for the future though....

jacobsmommy
02-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I have 2 month old twins as well as a 4.5 yr old and a 2.5 yr old. The twins pregnancy was very different and thankfully someone recommended the Barbara Luke book about twins. It was excellent.

Once the twins arrived, however, I've just muddled through as best I could with no twins support group. The ladies on this board were as helpful as they could be. I tried the multiples support groups on Mothering.com (they were a little too "crunchy" for me) and someothers but I found that I just didn't fit.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the pregnancy or the first 2 months postpartum because we've all survived thus far!!;) No guarantees for the future though....

Thank you for offering your support. Are you a SAHM? If so, did you find it difficult to take care of your other kids and keep up with the house while pregnant? I am finding it a bit challenging. I am also concerned because my OB said that I should not be surprised if I am on bedrest as early as 24-26 weeks. We have no family nearby so I am trying to figure out our options regarding someone to look after our son. There are so many new challenges and new things to consider this time around.

Stephanie

gatorsmom
02-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Thank you for offering your support. Are you a SAHM? If so, did you find it difficult to take care of your other kids and keep up with the house while pregnant? I am finding it a bit challenging. I am also concerned because my OB said that I should not be surprised if I am on bedrest as early as 24-26 weeks. We have no family nearby so I am trying to figure out our options regarding someone to look after our son. There are so many new challenges and new things to consider this time around.

Stephanie

Yes, i"m a SAHM and yes, I found it extremely difficult to keep up with anything. I used to have a strict policy of very little TV during the day for the boys and I found myself letting them watch anything that would keep their attention so that I could sleep. Especially the first trimester. When the second trimester came along I kept waiting for that energy boost that I had I had always felt in my second trimester. Hardysmom from the Lounge gave me an eye opener when she said, "how you feel now is probably going to be the best you feel for the rest of the pregnancy." and she was right. I had so many things I wanted to get done before I gave birth so I really used wisely the little energy I had during the day.

My OB told me the same thing yours did- that many twins pregnancies end up on bedrest. I think the reason I did not is because I drank an obscene amount of water and napped every afternoon. I tried to get things done in the morning but every afternoon I napped. I put our 2 yr old down to nap in his crib while I let our 4 yr old watch TV in my bed with me while I slept. Also, i really took it easy the rest of the day. I'd throw a frozen meal in the oven or do a frozen skillet meal and let DH do the dishes. At about my 7th month, he took over giving baths to our boys, too. That helped alot. Also, I found a housekeeper who cleans our house for us every other week. That is a life saver. I'd give up everything else- heck I'd get a smaller house if it meant being able to afford a housekeeper. You should NOT be scrubbing floors with a twins pregnancy.

I will say this- we decided early on that we did NOT want me to go into labor early. I'd heard that something like 50% of twins pregnancies will go into labor early. Many as early as 24 weeks. Babies born before 28 weeks have a much higher risk of having neurological problems. If you can get to 32 weeks, the babies will be small and will likely spend time in the NICU, but will probably be free from the most common premature problems (I think I'm remembering these stats right). So, we made it our goal to not have our twins spend any time in the NICU. We don't have family around here either and knew that since I'd be having a c/section, we'd need someone to help with the boys while I was in the hospital having the c/section. My 4 yr old goes to preschool so we needed someone to help him get to his bus and pick him up. We decided make some sacrifices and get a nanny, but we decided to get her early on so that 1) she could occupy the boys so I could rest more and 2) the boys and I could get to know her before they were alone with her while I was in the hospital. The decision to get a nanny was the best thing we did. My doctor feels that it is the reason I didn't have to go on bedrest. She kept them busy all day doing arts, crafts, playing outside, riding their bicycles, working on their numbers and letters, etc. And she is still with us because I am occupied all day long with the twins.

If I had only had a 2 yr old, it would have been much easier. Don't feel too much mommy guilt- I'd take your 2 yr old out of any activities and insist on her/him taking naps every afternoon. YOU and the twins need your rest. The health of your babies depends on you getting sufficient rest. And if you don't already have one, see if you can hire someone to do your housekeeping, at LEAST once a month to do the big jobs of scrubbing floors and dusting everything.

Gosh, this is turning into a book! sorry so long. hope you are feeling ok and again, feel free to pm me if you like.

onjbj
02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
My b/g twins are now 3yrs old! I'd be happy to answer any pregnancy questions you have or after they're born questions. I think everyone's goal is to not have their babies spend anytime in the NICU, but sometimes it is unaviodable. Mine were born at 35 1/2 wks and spent 36 hours in the NICU which I was pleased with. My pregnancy was pretty easy, aside from being tired. I stopped working at 7 months (I'm a teacher) and spent the month on modified bedrest. I delivered early b/c I was developing preeclampsia and the drs didn't want to take a chance. Best of luck to all of you! It is an amazing journey!!

Karin

jacksmom0902
02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi ladies,

I'm so glad to see the new forum as I'm expecting twins in August and have so many questions. I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Karla

jacobsmommy
02-14-2008, 08:40 PM
It is great to have a multiples forum. I look forward to everyone's advice and support.

Stephanie

wzly
02-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Hey everyone,
I just saw the multiples board, too. My twin girls just turned 3 at the end of January...My oldest will be 8 in April...And I'd love to have one more! (If I can survive the potty training thing this time around...)

I'm so glad this is here! This group has been so awesome!

Does everyone know about all of the freebies for new moms of multiples? Everything from a free diaper genie from Playtex, great coupons from Johnson & Johnson's, free case of Enfamil from your Enfamil rep at your ped's office, a "welcome" kit with Sassy baby bottles & toys, 10% off on top of any item (even sale stuff) at Osh Kosh stores...and more...

With a lot of these places you just have to call/e-mail to register...Some want copies of the birth certificates...

It's been a while, but I can pull together a list if anyone wants more info...

And my girls were born at 36 weeks 6 lbs. 12 oz. and 7 lbs. 2 oz...We all went home right away...Thanks to a great husband, good diet, lots of rest, a great big sister-in-waiting, and great docs, too!

Good luck to all!
:) Jen
(mom to emily - 4-00 and twins Sarah & Abigail - 1-05)

sarahbrown29
02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I am so glad this is here now! My g/g fraternal twins are 10 months old and DD is 2 1/2.

I delivered both twins vaginally at 34w5d. I was not on bed rest, but I wasn't allowed to lift anything (including DD) and was instructed to "take it easy" for the last 7 weeks I was pregnant. My DDs were in the NICU for 16 days and came home at what would have been 37 weeks (considered "full term" for twins.) They were born at 5#1oz and 5#2oz, so decent size, just needed some help eating and maintaining their body temperature.

That being said, I second the napping from the PP!!! I napped a ton the last 3 months or so before the twins were born. I was so lucky that my DD started taking a marathon afternoon nap (3+ hours) and my parents were able to come over to help me out as well.

After the twins were born, either my mom or dad came over EVERY DAY to help me with them and DD. My husband is an asst. principal and has the month of July off, but my parents were there M-F from April 5th through the end of June. I got to nap during the day while DD was taken care of and also got to spend some time with DD while someone watched the twins. It was a blessing.

I would recommend getting a cleaning service for the last 2-3 months pre-twins and the first 3-4 months post twins. I would also recommend hiring a nanny or setting up other help from relatives/close friends for at least 3 months post-partum. I found it easier to have people at my house because then I could choose whom they would watch (the twins or DD). My neighbor has twins who just turned 1 and a 3 1/2 DD and she still has a nanny that is there M-F from 9-3pm. She shares the nanny with another family whose kiddos are in school. She didn't even BF her twins and STILL had the nanny!

Also, know that going out by yourself will be quite difficult if you have older kids. It is difficult carrying two bucket seats and keeping track of a toddler! Now that my girls are out of their buckets, it is even more difficult because shopping carts aren't made for two infants! It is rather nice to go places by myself while someone else watches the kids, though :-)

I think we should make a list somewhere about what is useful to have for twins and what is a scam.

Can I say again how excited I am that this multiples thread is here now!?!?