PDA

View Full Version : Booster/Convertible options?

athompson
02-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Ladies!

I usually just read the bargain board, but I've been reading this one a bit now and while I feel much more educated, I do have some questions!:-)

I currently drive a Honda Civic (we're planning to buy a minivan when I have a third) and have my one year old daughter in a Britax Marathon and my 3 1/2 year old daughter in a Graco TurboBooster. I do not like the fact that the older one is not in a five point harness. My 3 1/2 year old is 42 pounds and 42 inches. What are my options as far as Booster/Convertible options go that might fit in the back seat of a Civic. Thank you so much in advance. I look forward to your insights!

Amy
DD 06/23/04
DD 01/30/07

KrisM
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I bet she'd fit a long time in a Radian 65. Someone once posted a picture of three of them in the back of a Civic! It has high harness straps, and goes to 65lbs. It has a low profile so will look more like a booster too. She'll be able to get in and out herself.

You can order from Target.com and return to the store if you don't like it.

Or, what about another Marathon? I keep reading about Britax sales coming up, so that might be a good deal.

My son is almost 4, and is about 38lbs and 42 inches and has a long way to grow in his Boulevard (same harness height as Marathon). We just got a Radian and he's not at the top slots even on that. It's been too cold to get it in the car, so we haven't used it yet though.

Good for you for reading up and deciding to put her back in a 5-pt.!

o_mom
02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
You could look at the Graco Nautilus in addition to the suggestions above. 5 pt harness to 65 lbs and very tall, then becomes a booster.

athompson
02-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check these out. Do you all know much about the Safety 1st Apex 65?

Thanks,

Amy

DD 6/04
DD 1/07

o_mom
02-13-2008, 10:29 AM
The Apex is a decent seat for the price. The biggest drawback is that it requires a vehicle seatback ir headrest behind the child's head. It would probably be OK in your Civic, but you may not always have that if you move it around. Also, it is not Britax-like at all. The arm covers tend to fall off and the cover wears quickly. Somewhat flimsy feeling. The Nautilus seems to be in the middle - better than Cosco (Safety 1st), but not quite up to Britax. The Radian is closer to Britax.

athompson
02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm leaning toward waiting on the Britax sale in a couple of weeks. I thought I was set on the Marathon (my younger daughter is in a Roundabout, I misspoke in my 1st message) but I'm wondering how long it will last for the 3 1/2 year old. She is 3 1/2 and 42 inches, 42 pounds. Do you think she'd feel cramped in a Marathon? Do you think a Regent would fit in a 2001 4 door Civic behind the passenger seat? There are so many choices as far as Britax is concerned and I just want to make the right one:-) For what it's worth, we live in an urban environment and we don't spend a ton of time in the car.

Amy
DD 6/04
DD 1/07

new_mommy25
02-14-2008, 03:36 AM
This is just my opinion but if it were me I would probably go with something like a Radian or Regent. The Marathon is a great seat and I love it but it is so high up. My DS is 4.5 and I have a hard time seeing over his head sometimes. I actually prefer his other seat where he sits much lower.

801kelle
02-14-2008, 03:16 PM
This is just my opinion but if it were me I would probably go with something like a Radian or Regent. The Marathon is a great seat and I love it but it is so high up. My DS is 4.5 and I have a hard time seeing over his head sometimes. I actually prefer his other seat where he sits much lower.

Great suggestion but I don't know if a Regent would fit in the back of a civic?

I know the Radian65 and Radian80 are basically the same seat.. personally I would go with the Radian80 because it has the potential to hold a 80lb kid or up to a 53inch tall kid.. vs Radian 65 only goes to 65lbs and 53 inches... You never know how children will go.. Radian would probably be a good fit in a civic... !!

TaChapm
02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm leaning toward waiting on the Britax sale in a couple of weeks. I thought I was set on the Marathon (my younger daughter is in a Roundabout, I misspoke in my 1st message) but I'm wondering how long it will last for the 3 1/2 year old. She is 3 1/2 and 42 inches, 42 pounds. Do you think she'd feel cramped in a Marathon? Do you think a Regent would fit in a 2001 4 door Civic behind the passenger seat? There are so many choices as far as Britax is concerned and I just want to make the right one:-) For what it's worth, we live in an urban environment and we don't spend a ton of time in the car.

Amy
DD 6/04
DD 1/07

We have a regent for Jackson and love it. I managed to fit it into my friend's 2006 Honda Civic. Not sure if a 2001 would be smaller than a 2006 but it fit just fine in her 06. (FWIW we also had a Marathon in there RF)

For someone your daughter's age I would probably go with the Regent since you will get more use out of it. Jackson still fit in his marathon when he turned 5 by height and weight but his shoulders looked a bit cramped in it so we upgraded to the regent. He has so much more room in his regent and looks more comfortable!

athompson
02-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Okay, I saw a Marathon today IRL and I definitely don't think a Regent (even bigger) will fit very well in my tiny car. I think I'm off to buy a Radian 80. Best I've found so far is $250; I'm assuming that's about as good as it gets (price). Am I right?
Thanks so much, this has been a huge help.

Amy

o_mom
02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
The Regent is about the same overall height as the MA, because it doesn't sit up on a base.

Unless you are in love with one of the covers on the Radian80, save some money and get the 65. They both have the same height limits and the same harness height (actually, the 80 is slightly shorter). Most kids outgrow them by height around 50-60 lbs, making the extra weight limit on the 80 pointless.

athompson
02-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Radian seat. I'll stick with the Radian 65 now.

Thanks,

Amy

DD1 June 2004
DD2 January 2007