PDA

View Full Version : Travel seat

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
DD currently had a BV as her main seat. We have a scenera which was an emergency backup and supposed to be for travel too. DD and I are traveling without DH in a few weeks and it will be a 2-3 week trip.

I need a lightweight seat that I can carry through the airport with DD and that I can be comfortable using for the few weeks we are visiting for. The scenera and I have never been friends. ;) For a variety of reasons I know I will not be able to use it for the length of our trip.

I am thinking of getting the Radian65 for the trip. Seems easy to transport, good seat, not bad install. DH doesn't have a car seat for his car so we could use it for that too, right?

Okay, I am just trying to convince myself to buy the Radian. It would be a good option, right? :) (Oh, and DD is 21 months, 26lbs, I have no idea how many inches, and rfing.)

o_mom
02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
If you have LATCH in the car at your destination, then the Radian should be great. It can be tricky with the seatbelt, but not horrible. Unless the car is very small, it should fit OK RF.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
The car is a good size so that won't be a problem. I am kinda bummed that the seat belt install won't be easy. Any ideas why? I prefer DD in the middle but my parents' cars only have latch outboard. Though, if I remember their car is annoying to put a seat in the middle anyway. Maybe I will just LATCH it outboard...

So many decision! ;)

801kelle
02-13-2008, 01:09 PM
We have Marathon that we travel with easy to install with seatbelt.. with lock off and to use with latch........... goes to 49 inches tall and 65 lbs...

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
We have Marathon that we travel with easy to install with seatbelt.. with lock off and to use with latch........... goes to 49 inches tall and 65 lbs...

We had a MA before the BV but it was still a lot for me to carry through the airport with DD by myself. I was thinking about a gogo kidz but I know their don't fit down the aisle of a plane.

JBaxter
02-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I want to let you know the radian is HEAVY. I am fortunate to have a 16yr old man child to tote mine. Its a great seat to have on the plane and you can use the tray table ... I think its the only one you can do that with.

I will be traveling myself this summer and Im going to pick up a luggage cart and strap it fast with a couple bunjy cords.

Its the only seat we travel with and I will keep using it on the plane till I cant squeeze my guy into it LOL.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I want to let you know the radian is HEAVY. I am fortunate to have a 16yr old man child to tote mine. Its a great seat to have on the plane and you can use the tray table ... I think its the only one you can do that with.

I will be traveling myself this summer and Im going to pick up a luggage cart and strap it fast with a couple bunjy cords.

Its the only seat we travel with and I will keep using it on the plane till I cant squeeze my guy into it LOL.

Would you say it is too heavy to wear on your back? Last time I carried our MA through the airport with a shoulder strap bag and broke blood vessels. Not fun. I love the "on the plane" aspects of it. I wish I had a strapping young man for some help! ;)

I wish any store around here carried it. I am stuck in crappy baby store central so I have to order everything online!

niccig
02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
The scenera and I have never been friends. ;) For a variety of reasons I know I will not be able to use it for the length of our trip.

Can you explain the problems with the Scenera? - it does have a few quirks for installation and use - but all seats have quirks. We might be able to help you with the Scenera, so it is usable. Bonus - you don't have to buy a new seat, and the scenera is about as light as you can get for travel.

I have the Safety First Uptown, it's a good lightweight seat, a step-up from the Scenera in comfort and side impact foam, but it too has some quirks. Once you know the quirks and install it a few times, it's easy to do. But as I said, I think this applies to all car seats. Even with my BV, I have a few things I do to get a good install.

Nicci

801kelle
02-13-2008, 03:03 PM
We had a MA before the BV but it was still a lot for me to carry through the airport with DD by myself. I was thinking about a gogo kidz but I know their don't fit down the aisle of a plane.

I use my stroller when traveling too.. I put Marathon on top of stroller in seat part and base sits on tray of stroller and put my DD in it and put bags in basket and away we go.. check stroller and gate and take seat on plane!!!!!

I travel alot with my DD without my DH and always manage okay.. when I get on the plane if I need help I ask a flight attendent.

I don't know about the GOGO kidz but here is a quote about it... not sure if you can get down aisle or not? It says you can....I always just carry mine down the aisle of the plane.

QUOTE ON GOGO KIDZ:

The Go-Go Babyz gogo Kidz Travelmate is an innovative device that basically turns your car seat into a wheeled tote, like any heavy piece of luggage with a wheeled base. It completely eliminates the need to carry your car seat while you travel, and, if you like, you can leave your child strapped in and bring them along for the ride. One hand will always remain free while you negotiate the train station, bus depot, airport, or the aisles of an airplane.

JBaxter
02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Would you say it is too heavy to wear on your back? Last time I carried our MA through the airport with a shoulder strap bag and broke blood vessels. Not fun. I love the "on the plane" aspects of it. I wish I had a strapping young man for some help! ;)

I wish any store around here carried it. I am stuck in crappy baby store central so I have to order everything online!

There are to nylon loops on my seat. one near the top and one near where the seat folds. I dont know what they are for BUT if you take the shoulder strap off of a duffle bag and clip it on it makes a nice carry strap. If you have wrangled a marathon on your back the Radian shouldnt be much different.

o_mom
02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
There are to nylon loops on my seat. one near the top and one near where the seat folds. I dont know what they are for BUT if you take the shoulder strap off of a duffle bag and clip it on it makes a nice carry strap. If you have wrangled a marathon on your back the Radian shouldnt be much different.

Those are for the shoulder strap :) If you put one on each side, you can carry it like a backpack.

JBaxter
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Those are for the shoulder strap :) If you put one on each side, you can carry it like a backpack.
DUH LOL ... see I figured it out with out being able to locate the manuel ( I think the dog ate it LOL)

o_mom
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
DUH LOL ... see I figured it out with out being able to locate the manuel ( I think the dog ate it LOL)

In case you want to print another!

http://www.skjp.com/media/Radian65-manual.pdf

bubbaray
02-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Well, isn't that handy.... I had no idea. Page 9 of both the US and Canadian English manuals. Different pictures in the Canadian one (why?!).