PDA

View Full Version : Using Carseat with preemie

brianaw
02-13-2008, 02:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is anything we should do differently when using a carseat with a preemie? We have an 05 Peg Perego seat and used it to take are son home today from the hospital. He was 5 weeks early and weighs about 4 pounds 14 ounces. When we put him in the seat it looked like it was strangling him. My husband adjusted the straps as small as possible, but it seems like he's just so tiny. Is there any tips? If it would help I can try posting a pic tomorrow.

Thank you guys for all of your help...

Joolsplus2
02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Awwww...congratulations on your tiny guy! Did they do a carseat challenge in the hospital? (supposed to be standard to make sure preemies don't lose oxygen from sitting too upright, but every hospital has different policies).
I'm really not sure there's much you can do with your current seat except rolling receiving blankets up and putting them next to him (after the harness is as good as you can get it) to snug him down...the harness just is what it is. He'll probably grow into it in a week or two :)

ajb524
02-13-2008, 11:56 AM
My son was born a month early and weighed around 5lbs. when he left the hospital at 2 weeks old. His snugride swallowed him whole!!

We used a lot of rolled up washcloths to support him as much as possible and we didn't go anywhere except for the doctor the first 2 weeks he was home. By the time he was a month old (and what would have been his due date) he fit in it a lot better.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1113/1320899541_2c8d577d57.jpg?v=1188915998
This was him before the nurse helped us with the wash cloths. He was so teeny tiny in his seat.

mmsmom
02-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Check the minimum weight for your car seat. DS was 4 lbs. 11 oz. when we left hospital and luckily I had a Britax Companion which has a 4 lb. minimum so we were able to get the straps tight on him. Most seats have a 5 lb. minimum; if that's the case with yours you will probably be okay in a couple days since newborns average gain (after inital loss) can be 1 oz. per day. We did have a car seat test in hospital to check oxygen intake while in seat so ask your ped if you didn't have one to see if they can do one.

codex57
02-15-2008, 04:11 AM
Yup, just stick rolled up towels all around him. Have someone sit next to him to make sure he doesn't flop around.

DS was 1 month early and 5 lbs 1 oz. It's kinda scary how small they are. We have a SnugRide and it does look like it was swallowing him. And the SnugRide is considered a tiny carseat.