PDA

View Full Version : Anyone give corn syrup for constipation?

SummerBaby
02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
DD#2 (6 months old) has been constipated since I started supplementing with formula (I just can't pump enough, plus she has other issues). I'm getting only minimal relief with glycerin suppositories, I believe because her poop is just too hard. Prune juice seems to upset her stomach (she is very sensitive), and she hates the taste. The ped GI recommended corn syrup, which I thought was dangerous. From what I've read, they changed the processing techinique and bacteria isn't a risk, but this is still making me nervous.

Any other constipation remedies are welcome too! Thanks

Val
DD#1 7/04
DD#2 7/07

JBaxter
02-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Have you tried pears or straight pear juice. I buy organic pear juice ( not the baby stuff regular organic) worked wonders on 2 of my ds's and my neice. I would also stop any cereal you may be giving. Im not a big juice fan but pear juice worked wonders at our house.

ETA*** organic flax seed oil will also help ( 1/2tsp a day)

infocrazy
02-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I've heard apple juice works.

HTH

Pennylane
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I used it once or twice with my youngest at the recommendation of a dr.

Here is what I did:

For years, doctors have recommended adding Karo syrup to water for the relief of constipation; and there have been many sighs of relief from anxious parents. Here’s how to prepare “a Karo syrup constipation relief” mix:

Boil a small pot of purified water (preferably in a glass pot to reduce impurities).
Once the water has cooled, add 1 teaspoon of Karo syrup to 4 ounces of the water.
Give about 1 ounce of the Karo syrup drink to the child before regular feeding.
Give another serving later in the day, and twice a day thereafter until the child passes a soft stool.
Most babies will respond promptly to this method.

Hope it helps!

Ann

JBaxter
02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I've heard apple juice works.

HTH

apple juice can be more constipating with some children.

luvmypeanut
02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I never used it when dd was as young as yours but when all else failed (apple and prune juice, flax seed) I tried it and it worked. The ped just had us put it directly in her bottle. I was really really skeptical and worried but all turned out ok in the end.

niccig
02-13-2008, 02:14 PM
DS was about as old as yours when he got constipated from baby cereal - I should have stuck to avocado etc for first foods. The Dr. had us use miralax to get DS regular again, so he wouldn't fear pooping. Then it was pureed pears and pear juice for us too. Now that DS is much older, 3yo, oatmeal with flax seed works for him - but it's the steel cut oatmeal. I think you just have to find the right food that works for your child.

As the others said, cut out all cereal until you find what works, then slowly introduce cereal again.

khm
02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
We've always used white grape juice. I thought I remember apple juice may upset their tummies?

My kids weren't fans of prune juice, but it did work very well. Yuck.

ThreeofUs
02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Having just gone through this, here is the wisdom I gathered from an array of folks, including the ped. This is mostly for a 2-3 year old, so cut down quantities for babies.

First line of defense
Daily 6 oz dose of straight fruit juices, no water, so DC gets enough sugar in bowels to collect water. Could be grape, apple, pear, whatever (as long as it's sweet)

When constipated, in order of trial:
- prune juice, 1T per day straight or in water OR corn syrup recipe as Ann posted
- 1 t mineral oil per day
- a mild stool softener (no offense to pp's or their ped's, but I heard repeatedly that milk of magnesia was way too harsh for use in babies)

Hippoharbor
02-13-2008, 05:15 PM
My 3 yo DS has been receiving Miralax in his liquid for the past year and really has worked wonders with his chronic constipation. I would not want to use corn syrup b/c I would be worried about cavity formation.

Michelle

niccig
02-13-2008, 06:06 PM
- a mild stool softener (no offense to pp's or their ped's, but I heard repeatedly that milk of magnesia was way too harsh for use in babies)

Oops, you're right. I meant we used Miralax - got myself confused.

KCR4
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Love love love love Miralax.

it's OTC now. All three of our boys became constipated at 12 mo (not due to any change of diet; one of them was in fact nursing - and only nursing - at that point). This has persisted off and on for years.

Miralax is truly a wonder drug. Constipation and an abdomen full of hard stool is not fun.

Our pedi says Milk of Magnesia has the same effects; we have used both - they both work well. Our DS #1 was on Miralax for several years. I can't tell you how much this improved his quality of life...and ours.

Not saying you will need long term therapy, but we've been to several pediatric gastroenterolgists (for reflux) and all have patients on Miralax for as long as it takes.

catpagmo
02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
I have used Miralax also for my 2 yo DD (with Dr.'s recommendation). It works very well. I only had to give her 1/2 capful mixed with diluted juice for a few days.
To keep her 'regular', now she gets about 4oz prune juice diluted with 6oz water every morning. She loves the prune juice!
When she was about 8 months, she would eat a lot of pears, which also helped.

vludmilla
02-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I just used prune puree (not juice) and it worked within a day each time DD got constipated. At those times I also tried to cut down on the banana that she loved so much because it tends to be binding.

kboyle
02-19-2008, 12:26 AM
i tried that with charlie...it didn't work...i still have a used once bottle of karo sitting in my house...unfortunately, it survived the move, though i remember throwing it out...i think MIL fished it out of the garbage :(