PDA

View Full Version : Glider or Recliner/Easy-chair?

srhs
02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
I was originally thinking we wouldn't "need" a rocker but after reading all the raves about the Dutailiers, I am rethinking this. We don't have a recliner in our living room, so there aren't any 'rocking' options in our home. I think a glider would go directly in the living room rather than the nursery. That being said...for the comfort of nursing and just rocking the baby, would you choose a Dutailier or a regular easy chair/recliner?

aghusker
02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
If you want to stay at $250 or less, then go Dutailer.

But we decided to go for a leather recliner so we could reuse it after the baby.
We got a deal on one at Costco for $400.

My wife likes it. It is much more comfortable than any rockers. Plus leather wipes down easy.

Only disadvantage is that glider rocking mechanism is much smoother, easier.
Other than that leather recliner is nicer in all other areas.

C99
02-13-2008, 10:48 PM
I would go with a rocker/glider over an easy chair. I have used our upholstered rocker to rock 3 kids to sleep, from 2003 until now.

WatchingThemGrow
02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
We chose a Dutailier in a black finish and red microsuede so we could reuse it. It probably won't go in a living room, but I can see it being a great place to sit in a playroom one day. In all honesty, we've had nursing issues with both DC and I needed TiVo/laptop since they both took about an hour each feeding session for months and months. So,I ended up nesting in the chaise section of the couch with My Brest Friend and all the visitors around me. The glider rarely gets used for nursing. The nursing stool pull-out part of the ottoman has only been used occasionally. It is invaluable though, for those times.

Our glider is THE most comfortable chair I've ever sat in. My dad says he wants one for his house. It's that nice with the reclining/locking features and the tons of room in it. The main use for it now is to rock kids to sleep several times a day. 2 dc and I can get comfy in it while reading, then off they go to their cribs and dreamland. I'm glad we invested in it.

lwcain
02-15-2008, 05:38 PM
It depends on your style, comfort, and budget.

I'm not a rocker/glider fan. They're not my style, and I refuse to buy something that I don't love. I haven't really needed one either.

I nursed my DD for 17 months on our sectional with a Brest Friend pillow around my waist. I will most likely do the same when DS arrives in April.

For the nursery, I bought a comfy, exotic, woven armchair from Cost Plus (50% off). The look and scale are perfect for the space. I love it, and I can use it anywhere in my globally-styled house at anytime.

Don't just rely on reviews. Look at your space and see what would work. Go sit in some chairs and see what's comfortable for you. And buy what you love.

If you decide to go for a Dutalier, then I saw some really nice ones on my local Craigslist for under $200.

HTH!

hellokitty
02-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm not a glider fan either, I think they're ugly and scream baby, so there is no way to integrate it into your decor gracefully after you are past the baby phase. I got a leather recliner/rocker and adore it. We had it in my oldest son's room as his nursing chair, then moved it into my youngest son's room, where it is still used as a nursing chair. My DH and I jokingly bicker over who will get the recliner after the kids are finished with it. I think I will win, since I consider it my chair, I'll probably but it in our master as a reading chair. We got a very nice looking one that isn't your stereotypical, ugly looking lazyboy. It's so comfy AND since my kids spit up a LOT, I was so thankful for the leather, b/c it was easy to clean off. If I would have gotten an upholstered dutelier, forget it, the cushions would have been ruined by spit up. Oh, and if you are worried that a recliner/rocker will take up too much space, keep in mind they come in different sizes. I got one that I would consider a, "petite" size, it's plush and comfy, but not as big as the full sized ones, but then my DH and I are not really big ppl either, so I don't think we would have gotten one of the full sized ones anyway.

LaCostaMom
02-16-2008, 07:17 PM
We didn't buy a glider because the motion literally makes me sea-sick.

Instead, we opted to buy a micro-suede rocker-recliner by Ashley Furniture. I wanted something that didn't scream "nursery" so that it could be used in another part of the house after the BFing/bottle-feeding years.

It's the right scale for my short height and for the size of the nursery.

tyl
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
We ordered a best chair which is a recliner and glider. It is the second most comfortable one I've tried, the name is Bilana. The best was by far the Irvington, also by Best Chairs, but it is a monster and won't fit in our apartment. we went for fully uphulstored instead of the ones that showed wood too, and got a micro suede fabric which is soft and will wear well. It is super comfy and I figure I am going to be spending tons of time in it the first few months. It was a splurge yes, but we figure we'll get a lot of utility from it and it will always be a great chair. you can also get slip covers for it later on to dress it up a bit.

jvs195
05-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I got the Dutailier glider and ottoman and love the function and comfort both for BF and reading to DS later. I did get it in the dark wood and neutral upholstery, but honestly I would never have it in my "real house" it's just not my style. Now I'm trying to get someone to slipcover the whole thing so it will work for DD nursery and maybe hide itself better. If I had to do it over I would get a nice upholstered glider/rocker that I wouldn't mind having in the rest of the house.

codex57
05-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Me and the wife are total fans of gliders. That motion is just so smooth and comfy. I can sit and chill with DS for a good amount of time so the little guy likes it too.

I'm not a big fan of most recliners. Made of crappy leather usually, rocking motion isn't all that smooth, etc. The few that I like are all $1000+. We got a hand me down Dutailer that prolly only goes for about $300 now. So much better than all the rockers I've sat in at about $800 and less.