PDA

View Full Version : I can talk.

niccig
02-13-2008, 02:37 PM
I can talk :yay: Well sort off. I had a 2nd surgery yesterday that's a temporary fix for my paralyzed vocal cord. The doctor injected collagen to bulk up the vocal cord, so that it covers the trachea as it is supposed to do. Unfortunately, he didn't take me up on the offer to use left-over collagen to smooth out any wrinkles. :p

My swallowing is 100% better, no choking on food/drink. My voice is stronger, but there's still a way to go. I'll keep doing speech therapy, and hopefully the damage will heal before the collagen is reabsorbed by my body. If not, they can inject it again. But the speech therapist is very confident that my voice will return as long as I do my exercises.

So as for the list of positives about not being able to talk, the main benefit was my patience. I had to be more patient with DS, and go right up to him and say something once. And it worked. He's listening better, and I wasn't getting frustrated when he didn't listen. The morning routine was much more mellow. I never screamed at DS, but I would raise my voice like "Hurry up we have to go." Me being quieter and calmer has been a real eye opener, and I hope this will stay with me when my voice is 100%. This is how all the parenting books say to interact with your child, but I found it difficult to do, as it's totally opposite to how I was raised and my personality. Well, now I know I can do it.

We're also going to keep up the sign language to use when our friend's DS#2 with Downs Syndrome gets older. She's teaching her DS#1, so I'll keep using it my DS too.

Unfortunately, DH is already back to - well can't you make the phone call. :banghead: But I'll keep working on him.

So, as frustrating as it was for the first week or so, this whole experience hasn't been too bad.

Nicci

1. I can't yell at DS - I was brought up in a yelling house and I didn't like it.

2. DS and I are learning sign language. A good friend's DC#2 has Down's syndrome and she is teaching her DC#1 signs as they might need to use it with the baby brother. So, now DS and I will be able to talk to Baby G as well.

3. I have to go up to DS, get his attention before I sign or say something.

4. DS's listening skills should improve, I really really need him to listen well.

5. DS may become more independent, as he needs to help mama to do things

6. DH and I will find arguing difficult.

7. DH has to help more with house management, I can't make any phone calls to organize dr's appointment or call the plumber

8. I have to take small bites of food, chew them well and be careful with swallowing otherwise food goes into my trachea. Mmmm maybe if I eat more slowly (always been a fast eater), I'll eat less and lose the 10lbs I put on last year.

You know, no. 7 alone may be worth it! DH organizes nothing, and it drives me crazy as pre-me he managed everything.

Nicci

bubbaray
02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Congrats! Way to keep positive about what must have been a very frustrating experience!

ThreeofUs
02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Congratulations, Nicci! I've been watching your posts and hoping things would get better.

Hope you have a steady climb back into full and easy voice!

elizabethkott
02-13-2008, 04:47 PM
YAY Nicci!!!!!
That's wonderful! Now just wait until your voice gets good and strong so you can scream like a banshee at all those insensitive people who laughed at you.

Aishe
02-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Nicci, I just got caught up on your other posts and I wanted to say how sorry I am that you had this complication! What a stroke of bad luck. But it sounds like things are looking up. I hope the speech therapy restores your voice very quickly. And that's great that you've been able to learn from the experience.

niccig
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
YAY Nicci!!!!!
That's wonderful! Now just wait until your voice gets good and strong so you can scream like a banshee at all those insensitive people who laughed at you.

Don't worry, I found a way to tell people I wasn't impressed with their humour. A very droll "yes, it's freaking hilarious" in reply to any "it's so funny" comment, seemed to do the trick. That plus witnessing me choking when I swallowed - suddenly it wasn't so funny after all!

niccig
02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Nicci, I just got caught up on your other posts and I wanted to say how sorry I am that you had this complication! What a stroke of bad luck. But it sounds like things are looking up. I hope the speech therapy restores your voice very quickly. And that's great that you've been able to learn from the experience.

Aishe, I totally had bad luck. The nodule was wrapped around the vocal cord - so the risks sky-rocketed. The endocrinologists and speech therapists at USC who are part of the treatment plan, said I was lucky Dr Maceri did the thyroid surgery as it turned out to be very complicated - it was larger than a tennis ball and had invaded my neck up to my jaw line, the oesophagus, trachea and voice box were all pushed out of place - no wonder I was feeling pressure in my neck. I don't regret having the surgery at all. The voice problems are annoying, but it'll get better with time.

KrisM
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Great news!

clc053103
02-13-2008, 09:26 PM
that is GREAT news!!! I meant to post this before but I couldn't find your old post- I had posted before that I also had a vocal cord injury from thyroid surgery. My surgeon's wife was a nurse in his office- she told me that she read that sucking on butterscotch candies can help in the recovery- something about coating the vocal cords. Maybe it's my imagination, but it did seem to help!