PDA

View Full Version : My VBA2C!!! Dante arrives!

spu
02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

My dear babe arrived on January 30! I was thrilled to have a safe and healthy vba2c, so if anyone else is considering, here is my story:

At 36w, I went in for my mw appt, just after my sweet dog died, and I thought for sure, the intense sadness would send me into labor. So she checked my cervix, and I was fully closed, and very tight.

I started to get a little antsy since I definitely didn't want to go past my due date since I grow big babies, and if they felt the baby was too big, they wouldn't want me to keep going (which meant either possibly an induction or another c...) So I started a few capsules of eve primrose oil - nothing regular - just when I remembered to take it.

Then at 38w, I woke up with contrax that were a bit stronger than usual. Nothing long or regular, but I became aware of their strength. So I started to visualize their glory and welcomed the waves to open up my cervix. When I went for my 38w appt that afternoon, my cervix was 2-3 cm dilated and very favorable (soft, stretchy, loose). I was pretty happy that at least something was happening, since in my last 2 pregnancies, nothing happened at all, even after my cerclages were removed.

I drove home around 4:30 that afternoon, and while cooking dinner for the kids, I realized, I'm not very hungry - these contrax are kind of strong... I told DS, jokingly, to pack his stuff, and that we'd be home in time for the superbowl. I made a list of things for me to remember to take during the 'last minute' (camera, battery, towel for the car, my phone, vitamin water...)

Later that night, the contrax became pretty regular, so I thought it might have been a result of my mw appt, and things would peter out if I took a bath or 'slept it off'.

When I took a bath around 8pm in our big tub, my 5.5 yo twin girls were along my side, way past their bedtime, helping me to 'open up the balloon' in side my belly so the baby could come out. They were fascinated, and I was in heaven. Then I tried to sleep around 9pm, and DH came up shortly after... I didn't realize it was already 11 pm, and I hadn't slept a wink, but became aware that the contrax were not slowing down.

The odd part was I was completely fine and coherent between contrax. They definitely got stronger, and then I gave in and said "Oh no, not another nighttime labor.." I dreaded starting labor at the end of a long day like last time...

So I gave in to the fact that 'this is it' and DH asked about contrax timing. I thought they were still really short, and far apart. So he started timing me - they were actually 45-60 seconds long, and 2 min apart. I had him time me for another hour or two - then I realized, my grouchiness was in full force, and this was the real thing. (funny how he though if he repeats himself but louder, then I'll answer during a contraction!) When I started getting dizzy and shakey, and wanting to push on the toilet (and realized my water had broken), then I said - ok, maybe we should go. I couldn't stand the thought of driving to the hospital if I felt any worse. My mom came over an hour later, I crawled into the back seat, and in a mere 32 minutes of speeding through red lights, we were at the hospital. It was 1:35 am.

During the ride to the hospital, instead of breathing through the contrax, and relaxing, as I remembered with the Bradley classes, I lied down in the backseat, groaning, squeezing my butt cheeks, and PUSHING! I just couldn't bear it. I said WTH - if I ruined it, so be it. I couldn't stand it, and I couldn't bear going through another 12 hours of this just to get to 10cm. I said to myself, one way or another, by 9 am, this baby will be born. (I was definitely in transition but didn't realize it... doubting everything! and ready to give up!!!)

They brought me right up to my beautiful room, and examined me. I was complete and at +3!!!!! I was totally shocked!!!! My mw and amazing nurse sat me up on a birthing stool on the bed. I was determined not to let the baby 'slip back up' and end up with another c. They said it was a one way street at this point. I pushed with all my might and I could feel the urge this time!!!!!! . I watched him crown in the mirror. It hurt during the 'ring of fire' as I didn't slow down to let the numbing sensation take effect... I was still too scared that if things stopped, I'd end up with a c! 35 minutes after I arrived in my room, Dante was in my arms and latching on right away!!!!!! I ended up with a 2nd degree tear, but I didn't care as all I could think was NO C - KEEP GOING!!! HARDER!!!

It was beautiful. Quiet. Calm, just DH, MW, and Lisa, our nurse. Dim lights, no IVs (just an internal monitor during labor, which was fine with me - VERY reassuring, gave me confidence to push harder. I could hear the waves of DS's heartbeats ride in sync with my own heartbeat and contraction waves.)

After he was born, they admitted me. I then said, oh yes, would you like my birth preferences? LOL! We all laughed. They did everything I could only hope for.

Dante was born at 2:17 am, 8 lbs 10 oz, 20" long.

So that's my vba2c story.

Thanks for listening! (hope it's not confusing - I'm still a bit tired!)
susan

twin girls charlotte + else 7.20.02 nursed for 3 years! cashew arrived 10.19.06! OMG! #4 VBA2C! Dante 1.30.08 tandem nursing!

wencit
02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Wow, what an incredible story! Congratulations, Susan!

Ceepa
02-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Congratulations! I'm exhausted just reading your story. lol. Get some well-deserved rest.

-Ceepa

tylersmama
02-13-2008, 05:58 PM
GREAT story! Congratulations, Susan, and welcome to the world, little Dante! :yay:

elizabethkott
02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Congratulations!
And welcome to the world, Dante!!! Now you be a good baby and let your mama rest!

ThreeofUs
02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
What a great story! Congratulations to all of you!

jk3
02-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Congrats!!!

SnuggleBuggles
02-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Congratulations, Susan! Welcome to the world, Dante! Thank you for sharing your wonderful VBAC story!

Beth

bubbaray
02-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Congrats! :)

Drag0nflygirl
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
That was a great story. You did such a good job describing the whole thing that my gut hurts! (Really)

Nancy
DD Cara 10-25-05

lizajane
02-13-2008, 08:13 PM
beautiful!!

i have to admit i couldn't help but think of dylan's birthday- my contractions started at about the same time as yours and i just wasn't sure it was really time... but since he was born at 11pm, i am pretty glad i didn't wait as long as you did!!!

KBecks
02-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Congratulations!

JBaxter
02-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Congrats and Im glad everything went so well.

o_mom
02-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Congratulations! What a beautiful story :)

annasmom
02-13-2008, 08:54 PM
What a fantasic birth story!! Congratultions!!

KrisM
02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Congratulations!

What a fantastic birth story. I'm so glad you got the vba2c!

anamika
02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
How wonderful! Congratulations to you and your family.

Melanie
02-14-2008, 04:53 AM
WOW! What a story! Congratulations Susan. What a sweet matched set you have, too (2 boys & 2 girls!). Enjoy!!

elephantmeg
02-14-2008, 09:37 AM
congrats Susan! So glad you had such a great birth experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mommy111
02-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Congratulations!

ShanaMama
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
What a beautiful birth. I'm happy you had the experience you were aiming for. Congrats & welcome to the world Dante!

Wife_and_mommy
02-14-2008, 03:09 PM
What a great story. Congratulations on your new little guy and having had the birth you desired.

maestramommy
02-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow, how exciting! Glad you got the birth you wanted! :applause: Now get some rest with your little one!

caleymama
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Congratulations to all of you! What a beautiful story. Enjoy your newest addition! :stork-boy:

american_mama
02-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Congratulations! Sounds super satisfying, and I bet your girls will remember that time by you in the tub for their whole lives. What a gift to them when they are pregnant themselves.

daisymommy
02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Susan, I am beyond thrilled for you! I remember you from "way back when" the girls were born :) I am so happy that your dream came true with the VBA2C !!! You go girl! WE can't wait to see pictures, and hear all about what life with 4 is like :) Take Care of You!

SASM
02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi Susan,

What a great (and EXHAUSTING) birth story!! How amazing!! I'll have to remember the evening primrose thing for my girlfriends. :) Congrats on finally having your natural birth...WOW!! Cannot wait to see photos. I still cannot believe that your girls are 5.5!! Sweet dreams!! :) CONGRATULATIONS to you and your family!!!

Hugs,

oneplustwo
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your amazing birth story! Congratulations!

Anne

ErinMC
02-15-2008, 10:07 PM
COngratulations to all of you! What a beautiful story. Welcome Dante!

JTsMom
02-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Congratulations, and welcome to the world Dante!!!