PDA

View Full Version : Croup!

elizabethkott
02-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Anything else I can do for the poor little guy aside from the humidifiers and the steam in the bathroom? He's already on meds...
TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
02-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Cold air really helps. It seems to help faster than the warm steam. Keep him hydrated too.

Beth

jbrandy
02-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Keep an eye on your baby -- if he is gasping for air or really struggling to breath call your doctor back. Our DS had croup this bad at 7 months and they gave him a shot. I worked within 24 hours! In 24 hours he was literally good as new! I don't know what was in that shot but it worked.

Beth B
DS 4-4-03
DS 4-18-07

Tondi G
02-18-2008, 09:18 PM
My Ds just went through it. The meds didn't go so well with us. He threw up twice and I finally gave in when he managed to keep 1/2 tsp down! I wish I had just asked the ped to give him a shot! The barking and gasping is gone now but he has a lovely cough and a runny nose/congestion. I am praying we can avoid an Ear Infection.

If found the nighttime air to be more helpful than the steamy bathroom. The humidifier did help and is still helping at this point!

The croup is scary isn't it! I'm just glad my DS is 2.5 ... it would have been a lot scarer if he was an infant!

Good Luck, hope your little one is better soon!

smartlass
02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Cold air seemed to work the best for us (my first DS suffered for YEARS with it) I used to pack him in the car and take a drive around with a window just cracked.
The few times we made it the ER scared the wizz out of me though.