PDA

View Full Version : Egg Hunt on Easter Sunday? (opinions please)

BeachBum
02-14-2008, 07:24 AM
My options are to have our "2nd Annual Easter Egg Hunt" on Easter Sunday or the Sunday before (the 15th)--for both it would be at 3:30 pm.
I can't have it on Saturday of either week because we (and others invitees) have been invited to birthday parties. I don't want to do 2 parties in one day.

Which would you prefer and why?

kijip
02-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Maybe I am missing something, but isn't the only day for an egg hunt Easter? Are the egg partygoers busy with family dinners that day or something? Who is coming (ie immediate family, extended family, neighbors, friends)? I would prefer Easter Sunday. That is what our friends do- 1 big hunt on Easter, followed by dinner. 3:30 is perfect because it avoids hitting dinner and church.

kransden
02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
For us it wouldn't matter, we don't have extended family or have a traditional Easter Sunday affair that we go to in the afternoon. So to me it would depend on what you and your friends do that day.

klwa
02-14-2008, 11:20 AM
I'd honestly prefer the Palm Sunday one. Easter Sunday is stressful enough with Sunrise service, regular service, going to Grandma's, etc. Our church had talked about doing an egg hunt after service this year on Palm Sunday just to not interfere with the rest of Easter.

gatorsmom
02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Our neighborhood does one every year. All the neighbor kids are invited as well as any friends they want to bring. The only requirement to participate is that each child bring 12 eggs filled with candy (or other goodies) to the organizers house 2 days before. The organizer and her kids then hide them in various places around the gathering space in our neighborhood. Everyone loves it.

They usually have the event the day before Easter or on Friday with the understanding that for the little kids, the Easter Bunny mistakingly dropped some eggs while he was getting ready for Easter. :) Or we tell them that this is practice for when the Easter Bunny really does come.

I think it's just a fun event to prepare for the holiday. Plus, I prefer Easter Sunday to be about Christ's Resurrection- not the Easter Bunny. But that's just me. :)

g-mama
02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
It depends on who is participating. We go to one that a certain friend hosts every year and it's big - she invites friends from all different circles - and it's not on Easter, in fact it's usually in the late afternoon on a school day.

But then we do one with our immediate family and all the cousins participate after Mass.

If it's not just the family members you'd be having lunch/church with, then I'd do a different day. I would not be able to bring my kids to a friend's house on Easter afternoon because that is time we spend with our extended family.

rlu
02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Easter is for family get-togethers for us. Our city does one the week before but we haven't participated for various reasons in the past.

tiapam
02-15-2008, 01:32 AM
My options are to have our "2nd Annual Easter Egg Hunt" on Easter Sunday or the Sunday before (the 15th)--for both it would be at 3:30 pm.
I can't have it on Saturday of either week because we (and others invitees) have been invited to birthday parties. I don't want to do 2 parties in one day.

Which would you prefer and why?

The Sunday before is the 16th of March. Unless it is with the people you usually spend Easter with, I would do it the Sunday before.

DDowning
02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
In my neighborhood, we have after dark egghunts with flashlights the night before Easter. Just a good fun way to interact with neighbors. This will be the third one this year. It leaves the days free as well as Sunday to take are of family/church activities.

BeachBum
02-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.

It's hard because I would like to make this our family tradition, but I don't want to loose a bunch of guests that have set Easter plans. I'm still not sure what I am going to do.