PDA

View Full Version : Used baby furniture on craigslist?

tmonroe
02-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Now that we purchased the crib we are working overtime to get the rest of the nursery ready. I'm not do until April but I want everything finished. So, we found a great combo dresser and glider and ottoman on craigslist for $250
Has anyone ever purchased furniture on craigslist? What was the experience? The photos seem to match our furniture almost exactly but I could care less if the dresser is the same finish as the crib. I've just grown tired of searching for a combo dresser that's less than $400. My crib is espresso (not sure why they call it that since it's not black and theirs is cherry). Are cherry and espresso that much different?

Wife_and_mommy
02-14-2008, 09:30 AM
I've found much nicer furniture than I could afford otherwise on Craigslist. Want to kick myself for not using them for ds's nursery. I pd. full retail for his dresser--what a waste.

So, yes, I do recommend you utilize them for the rest of your furniture. Furniture is quite overpriced so buying it used when it's in great condition is my definition of a bargain shopper.

ETA: my ds's don't match exactly but they're close enough only I know that. There was a thread a few days ago about this subject. Many moms shared that their furn. doesn't match exactly.

tmonroe
02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I've found much nicer furniture than I could afford otherwise on Craigslist. Want to kick myself for not using them for ds's nursery. I pd. full retail for his dresser--what a waste.

So, yes, I do recommend you utilize them for the rest of your furniture. Furniture is quite overpriced so buying it used when it's in great condition is my definition of a bargain shopper.

ETA: my ds's don't match exactly but they're close enough only I know that. There was a thread a few days ago about this subject. Many moms shared that their furn. doesn't match exactly.

thanks. i think i am the one that started teh thread about the furniture matching but i spoke to my mother this morning and she just rolled her eyes and told me to grab the furniture as long as its in good shape. we're trying to arrange to have it picked up this weekend. i think it's criminal to charge twice as a much for a dresser than a crib. dh and i need a new bedroom set so we're cheking craigslist for that too.

lmintzer
02-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I hadn't purchased off Craigslist before, but we recently purchased a beautiful Ragazzi (the old Ragazzi--before the co. went out of business) twin bed for my older son. It was in near-new condition and was so so much less than it would cost new. I think we paid less than half of what we'd pay for an equivalent bed.

I got a good feeling about the seller (a mom whose son grew quickly and they replaced his twin with a full) and saw the piece before I decided for sure.

I'd definitely use Craigslist. Right now, I'm searching for a bed for my younger son.

C99
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I love Craigslist and buy lots of stuff on it. I bought a used IKEA bed for my DD, and sold DS1's bed to someone last week.

LaCostaMom
02-16-2008, 07:14 PM
We bought our twins' cribs (the "old" Ragazzi, too) on Craigslist - just about mint condition. The original purchase price for each crib was about $800 and we got it at a steal IMHO for $250/each.

We originally bought 2 other cribs by Bonavita on Craigslist for the same price (have since sold as they were too tall for me - I'm height-challenged :) ) along with matching dresser/changer.

Everything is solid wood frames and so well-constructed. Like a PP wrote, we've been able to buy much better quality furniture at a fraction of the cost because of Craigslist. Of course, I would go see everything before purchasing - you just never know - sometimes things look better in person than not.

tmonroe
02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Sadly the person we were purchasing from never contacted us. We were all set to pick up the items today so instead we're search walmart.com for the dresser.

longstocking
02-18-2008, 07:13 PM
We purchased our like new Pali crib from Ebay for only $200. We had to drive a few hours to pick it up, but, it was so worth it. The crib was so well taken care of, only used 7 months, still had packaging, instructions, receipt, everything. I am now in the process of also trying to find a dresser/changing table in sort of the same color scheme as the crib - Cognac - no luck yet. But, I say go for it, it's so worth it. Just don't pay for anything until you pick it up because, you really never know.

Page
03-06-2008, 12:53 PM
It may be too late to make a difference (this post has been up for two weeks as I write)...but I find a noticable difference with the cherry finish and the espresso finish. I've been out shopping for cribs the past couple days and the cherry finishes have a deep red tint to them whereas the espresso is more straight brown or chocolate. It isn't black; it's much more of a dark, dark, brown.

I'm preferring the espresso because it's more modern and matches our "pink & brown" color scheme perfectly, but it really depends on personal preference.