PDA

View Full Version : Installing RN - tips?

KrisM
02-14-2008, 10:39 AM
I also have a couple questions on the installation of the RN and figured I'd keep them seperate.

I had no luck with getting it installed with a seat belt. What are the tricks? I had 2-3 inches of movement.

I had a hard time getting the LATCH tight even. I ended up doing it, but it was hard! One of the connectors is now upside down because if I put it the other way, the button for adding slack to the LATCH strap would be between the strap and the seat and I didn't think I'd be able to push it. Is this how it's supposed to be?

I have it installed in the middle with LATCH right now, but will have to do belts when I have 3 in the car. So, I really need the tips on belt installation.

I should add that it's a Chevy Malibu Maxx. The rear seats have 3 sets of anchors, but I can only use up to 2 at a time. The is a tether point for each seat. The seats themselves recline, which seemed to help a bit in the installation.

Joolsplus2
02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Hmmm...not sure about the LATCH connector... I think *Britax* has said upside down is ok, probably based on the manufacturer IMMI saying it's fine...same connectors, same 'ok'?

Ok, have you put the Radian base into the recline mode? That often helps. And reclining the vehicle seatback but then tugging it back upright is the key to extra tightnes. The Radian is really quirky...you'll think you can't ever get it right until about your third try, then you'll wonder why it was so hard at first (at least a lot of us have had this happen, there is hope!) with the seatbelt, ge your knee in the seat and REALLY work hard at pulling up on the shoulderbelt on the buckle side to get the lapbelt twanging tight.

KrisM
02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Hmmm...not sure about the LATCH connector... I think *Britax* has said upside down is ok, probably based on the manufacturer IMMI saying it's fine...same connectors, same 'ok'?

Ok, have you put the Radian base into the recline mode? That often helps. And reclining the vehicle seatback but then tugging it back upright is the key to extra tightnes. The Radian is really quirky...you'll think you can't ever get it right until about your third try, then you'll wonder why it was so hard at first (at least a lot of us have had this happen, there is hope!) with the seatbelt, ge your knee in the seat and REALLY work hard at pulling up on the shoulderbelt on the buckle side to get the lapbelt twanging tight.

The base is in recline mode. I did get it a bit tighter doing the seatback recline like you said. With 2 people, I might be able to shove it more upright and get it a bit better, too.

When I pull on the buckle side, how do I prevent it from slacking again when I try to get the shoulder part tight. I mean, I pull the shoulder belt from the buckle, but then have to let go to get the belt through the belt-path and retracted. I always seem to lose it there.

Neatfreak
02-15-2008, 06:29 AM
When I pull on the buckle side, how do I prevent it from slacking again when I try to get the shoulder part tight. I mean, I pull the shoulder belt from the buckle, but then have to let go to get the belt through the belt-path and retracted. I always seem to lose it there.

The process works best for me when I do it super-slow. I'll keep my knee in the carseat with one had pulling up on the section of shoulder belt near the buckle insert so that the lap portion of the belt is kept snug. With my other hand, I'll pull the shoulder belt belt all the way out, and then very slowly let it retract, ***still keeping one hand near the buckle insert*** and the other higher on the shoulder belt (and my kid's seat is Britax so I guide it into a lock-off as well). Sounds a lot like what Julie posted, now that I read it again. Do you have someone who could do the retraction part for you, while you handle the lap belt tightening?

I rented a Malibu Maxx for about five months last year, and of the eleven vehicles I've had my kid's seat in, I always had my nicest installs with it ...