PDA

View Full Version : help naming DS #2

almostsane
02-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Okay, we are having the hardest time picking out a name for "Little Brother." We don't want anything too trendy, too adult, too childish. I know, we are picky. We have vetoed the following list:

Jacob
Briley
Jayden
Sam/Samuel
Conner
Thomas
Cooper
Curtis
Alex
Trent
Ethan
Trey
John
Zack
Lucas
Levi
Bruce
Zane
Blake
Jack/Jackson
Hunter
Aiden

I am open to any suggestions. The above list was vetoed for various reasons, but we can not seem to find anything that we love. DS #1 was named 2 days after we found out we were having a boy. I am looking for something that will sound good as a child's name and as an adult name. We have tossed around Barrett, but I am not loving it yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.:confused:

SnuggleBuggles
02-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Now, do you like any of those names individually? B/c mixing and matching could yield a favorite. I mean, do you just straight veto Alex or Jacob?

Beth

ha98ed14
02-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't like Barret at all, but a woman that teaches with DH named her son Garrett, and I LOVE that name for a boy. I think it works for both a little guy and a grown man.

KBecks
02-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Peter*
Paul
Luke
Matthew
Shane
Jesse
David
George
Sean*
Sawyer
Adam*
Eric*

*were on our favorite lists

KBecks
02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
If you like Barrett, how about Brett?

almostsane
02-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, unfortunately, I or DH have vetoed all of those names individually. Some are already used in our family and some just don't work with our last name. I love Aiden, but it just does not sound good with our last name.

KBecks
02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I'll also kick in Charles (Charlie), Edward, Tobias (Toby), Michael and Steven, Henry, Archer, Asher or Kent.

or.... Scott, Eli, Clark, Evan or Noam

If you don't mind sharing, what is DS#1's name?

Boys' names are hard when they are for your own boys!

Momof3Labs
02-14-2008, 04:29 PM
My nephew's name is Garren (he's now 21). It has traveled well with him, and could work for you.

Have you tried looking through the Social Security name list for 2006? That helped us a lot in naming both of our boys, especially since we didn't want names that were *too* out there.

ha98ed14
02-14-2008, 04:31 PM
My nephew's name is Garren (he's now 21). It has traveled well with him, and could work for you.

I like this too!

Happy 2B mommy
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
These were our favs

Kenton
Garrett
Ronan
Karl
Nathan
Ian
Sean

Good Luck

Kerri

ast96
02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
My three boys are Mason, Charles (Charlie), and Benjamin (Ben). I get compliments on their names all the time and I love each of them -- strong but kind, gentle names for both boys and men.

almostsane
02-14-2008, 04:41 PM
I'll also kick in Charles (Charlie), Edward, Tobias (Toby), Michael and Steven, Henry, Archer, Asher or Kent.

or.... Scott, Eli, Clark or Noam

If you don't mind sharing, what is DS#1's name?

Boys' names are hard when they are for your own boys!

DS is Royal. It was a family name.

elektra
02-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Ben
Liam
Chase

Good little boy/adult names IMO

KBecks
02-14-2008, 05:00 PM

Stanton, Rex, Zane (Zayne), Parker, Bryce, Gage, Grant, Cade, Corbin (Cory), Colman, Damon, Chase, Tyson, Brent, Archer, Ellis, Tobin.

Oops, you already vetoed Zane, sorry! Change that to James.

ha98ed14
02-14-2008, 05:04 PM

That is a difficult name to match/ pair with if you want their names to have similar sounds or feelings. It is all so subjective. Do you call DS1 by his full name or does he have a nickname? Roy, maybe?

If you call him by a nickname, I think you should pick a name for DS2 that also has boy-ish nickname, maybe also one syllable.

If you call him by his full name, then DS2's name should be something equally unusual. Having a Royal and a Jason in the same family sounds weird, IMO.

hellokitty
02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
I've always thought that, "max" would be a cute name for a little boy, yet a nice adult name too.

ha98ed14
02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Stanton, Rex, Zane (Zayne), Parker, Bryce, Gage, Grant, Cade, Corbin (Cory), Colman, Damon, Chase, Tyson, Brent, Archer, Ellis, Tobin.

Oops, you already vetoed Zane, sorry! Change that to James.

FWIW, I think Zane and Royal sound really good as brothers' names...

ha98ed14
02-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I've always thought that, "max" would be a cute name for a little boy, yet a nice adult name too.

Max and Royal go together well, especially if you name him Maxwell and call him Max. Roy and Max. Royal and Maxwell. I like it a lot!

KBecks
02-14-2008, 05:14 PM
FWIW, I think Zane and Royal sound really good as brothers' names...

Yeah, but Zane is out. I kind of like Gage and Royal for a similar sound mix.

More long A names -- Clayton, Davis, Cason, Drake, Galen,

ha98ed14
02-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah, but Zane is out. I kind of like Gage and Royal for a similar sound mix.

There is a family at our church who named their son Gauge, as in a shot gun gauge. (pronounced Gage, not Gow-ge, but spelled the same as the word associated with a shot gun. The mom actually told me that the dad was so excited to have a boy after their 3 girls that he named him after a gun. That's just beyond the pale, IMO. How could you name your baby after a gun?!? Babies and guns are like cosmic opposites.

Clarity
02-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I like "Garren" too...has a nice ring. Garren and Royal.

willow33
02-14-2008, 06:14 PM
What about Reid or Reed? DS#1 is Reed and we get lots of compliments on it. It seems to suit both a young boy and grown man and I think it sounds great with Royal. Good luck deciding...boy names are tough :)

KBecks
02-14-2008, 06:24 PM
There is a family at our church who named their son Gauge, as in a shot gun gauge. (pronounced Gage, not Gow-ge, but spelled the same as the word associated with a shot gun. The mom actually told me that the dad was so excited to have a boy after their 3 girls that he named him after a gun. That's just beyond the pale, IMO. How could you name your baby after a gun?!? Babies and guns are like cosmic opposites.

Hm.. Remington. Winchester. Colt. ;) They're not bad!

scoop22
02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
i am no help at all. i am in the same position where we veto each others names. i am need of boys names SO KEEP THEM COMING!!!!

Carter
Brooks
Carson
Caden
Hayden
Gavin
Colton
Dawson
Caleb
Cameron
Noah

these were on our list for ds#1. Good luck it is such a hard choice...
i didnt name ds till he was born.. it looks like it will be the same for this child..:love-retry:

KBecks
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I also loved Nathan (Nate) for at least a week or two before changing my mind.

wellyes
02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I think Gage was the name of the kid from Pet Semetary - the one who 'came back wrong' shudder...... for me it is now on the list of horror-genre names that can never be re-used, like Malachai and Damien.

My favorite on the list is Adam: classic, masculine. I could see it as the name of a kind man, or an athletic man, or a scholarly man - or, ideally, a man who is embodies all three qualities.

american_mama
02-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I went through your list and thought of the first names that reminded me of ones you'd rejected.

Josiah
Joshua
Riley
Peyton
Sawyer
Travis
Ezra or Esri
Alerick (a name from literature)
Evan
Zeke
Marcus
Lucca
Gideon
Bryce
Brady
Wyatt
Tanner

Other ideas: Abraham, Nathan (can't remember if that was a rejected one), William/Will or Liam, Asher, Caleb, Daniel, Benjamin, Henry, Quinn.

HIU8
02-14-2008, 11:48 PM
DS was basically named at the 20 week sono, so we never had a list of names--same actually with DD because we named after family. But, if I had a list of boys names, these are what I would have chosen:

Wyatt
Andrew
Ethan
Max
Micah
Eli
Devon
Gary
Ean
William
Nathaniel
Eddie
Oren
Asher
Justin
Jared
Jarrett
Jordan
Allen or Alan

These are just some that either DH or I liked.

newmomto1
02-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Brian!!
Means "strong"
Love this name!!!
:)

KBecks
02-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I think Gage was the name of the kid from Pet Semetary - the one who 'came back wrong' shudder...... for me it is now on the list of horror-genre names that can never be re-used, like Malachai and Damien.

My favorite on the list is Adam: classic, masculine. I could see it as the name of a kind man, or an athletic man, or a scholarly man - or, ideally, a man who is embodies all three qualities.

Oh, I don't watch scary movies, so no connection there. I love the name Adam also and when it was on our list it got a lot of positive feedback from co-workers. We didn't go with it because our last name starts with an M also, but I still like the name.

I was also thinking of William "Will".

Jen841
02-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Andrew/Drew
Evan
Jude
Noah
Nicholas
Dylan

Forgive me if I added something on your list of 'no's'

amandabea
02-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I just heard this as a boy's name (actually he was a man) and I really liked it -- Collier. I think it goes well with Royal. You could probably shorten it to Cole. It means coal miner, which I know isn't the most fantastic meaning, but anyway, I just liked the sound of it.

cvanbrunt
02-15-2008, 12:19 PM
When we were picking names, our boy list was down to Henry, Miles, and Owen. If we had a boy he probably would have been Henry Owen.