PDA

View Full Version : What will we need?

jacobsmommy
02-14-2008, 09:08 PM
I am currently 14.5 weeks pregnant with twins. We also have a 2 1/2 year old son. I am trying to figure what we are going to 2 of. In addition, I am trying to decide what is the best stroller and diaper bag for twins. Any advice would be great?

Thank you.
Stephanie

onjbj
02-15-2008, 01:32 PM
When we registered, we asked for 2 swings, 2 bouncy seats, 2 exersaucers, and 2 playmats. We registered for 2 different designs in each so that we had 2 different swings, 2 different exersaucers, etc. That way, we could rotate the babies and they wouldn't get tired of the same toys, music, etc. We also had 2 pack and plays. We kept one downstairs for naps and one in our room for bedtime. They slept together in the same pack and play for the first two months. We actually had a third swing in our bedroom, but someone gave us that one gently used. I would also get two extra infant car seat bases so that your husband can keep them in his car. Obviously, we have 2 cribs and high chairs as well. Hope that is helpful.

Karin

fivi2
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I think that a lot of depends on how much space you have! We have a teeny tiny house and could not get two of everything (though it would be nice!) In the beginning we had one playmat (they both fit for a long time), one swing, one bouncy seat, one exersaucer, one crib, and no pack n play. We never got a pack n play (with twins I thought we'd hit the weight limit too soon), but we did get a playyard that sat on the floor. Mine hated the bouncy seat, so I never got a second. We did rush out and buy a second swing because they LOVED those. We also ended up with a second crib, but didn't need it until about 6 months. We only had one exersaucer and one doorway jumper (some people are against those) and they switched between those.

Stroller - we started with the double snap n go, then moved to the baby jogger city double, but I don't know what your needs are with a toddler already. For a diaper bag, we just use a big backpack.

I guess, imo, with a lot of things you can wait and see what your kiddos are into. Ours did a lot of sleeping in the beginning!

Best wishes!

kfk
02-15-2008, 04:07 PM
We also had a small apartment. We got 4 carseats (2 infant, 2 convertible--I asked for them as gifts) and 2 bouncy seats (they loved them). Skipped the swing because they hated it at a friend's house. One playmat. One exersaucer. 2 cribs (both hand me downs). They slept together for about 3 months. One pack n play (hand me down), which was great when we decided to separate them for naps. Had the double snap n go (2d hand) and hated it. Used the valco twin from the beginning. But, there are lots of other double stroller options now. Skip Hop diaper bag.

We did a lot of stroller walks, so I found a good sturdy comfy stroller to be essential. The boys never liked the sling, and I hated the Bjorn. Wish I had had an ergo (have one now for baby #3) to wear a baby and perhaps use a single stroller some of the time.

gatorsmom
02-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Although I'm only 3 months into this (I can't believe it's been 3 months already!), we've finally figured out what works and what doesn't for us. First, I LOVE the Double Snap n Go (SNG) stroller. I use it all the time when it's just me and the twins going somewhere. It is nearly impossible to carry 2 infant seat carriers and a diaper bag without either a second person to help or the SNG stroller.

I also love the Moby Wrap. In the beginning I could fit both twins in there but now I can only get one wrapped up comfortably. But it has been a God-Send. Truly, there have been days that I would have been lost without it.

We already had a lot of hand-me-down stuff from our first 2 babies. But I"ve found that one of the twins likes bouncy seats and the other doesn't. Both of them love the taller swings, not the take-along swings. I've also found that they won't sleep in the Pack n plays AT ALL. So, I think you might consider registering for one of each of the big things and trying out both the twins in them before you decide to get a second. Also, I've found that their preferences change over time. They slept in the packnplay fine in the very beginning. Now they hate it. If you have a friend with babies or small children, maybe they'll let you try out their equipment before you buy.

Oh, and I'd DEFINITELY register for the Graco Sweetpeace swing. It is pricey but it has saved my sanity. It is truly wonderful. :)

sarahbrown29
02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
We had ...
- two exersaucers (borrowed one, had one from DD)
- two bouncers (only really used one)
- one swing
- one playmat (they both fit until they started to roll and wouldn't stay put anyway)
- one Jumparoo (like the doorway jumper, but self-contained - it is NOT space friendly)
- two pack n plays (one downstairs and one upstairs ... the 2nd one was eventually relocated to my parent's house; my twins sleep great in them, which is something DD NEVER did!)
- two cribs (we separated them at about 5 months)
- two bucket seats (one borrowed from a friend)
- two convertible seats (one from DD, one new)
- two high chairs (one borrowed from a friend)
- two booster seats
- crib spacer if you want to keep your twins together in the same crib longer
- Moby wrap (I carried both girls in it for about 2 months - now I use it if I cannot avoid taking all three to the store; it's so much more comfortable than my Bjorn)

We received a Joovy Big Caboose as a gift. While the concept was great (it can fit 2 bucket seats and has a toddler platform), it did not fit in our Honda Odyssey. I wish I had gotten a used SNG, but ended up with just a used Maclaren Rally Twin and an extremely old Graco Duoglider.

Also, I needed to get extra clothes, but not double of everything. And plan on going through a TON of diapers. I don't know why, but it seemed liked I used so many more with the twins than I ever did with DD!

I'm still looking for the perfect diaper bag for all three kids ... let me know if you find one!

HTH!

wzly
02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
We started having them sleep in a bassinet together and then shared the bassinet top of a port-a-crib...When they needed a bit more room, they shared a crib...And pretty soon after moved to their own cribs...

We had a lot of double stuff anyway from our first daughter and extra stuff I bought for my parent's house...

One thing that I didn't use for my first, but was a life saver with the twins: swings. Life savers! Life savers! Life savers!

Keep in mind that you can place them in the nice cradle type swings and don't have to turn them on...I know some little ones don't like the motion while others do...

When the girls had sniffly noses and couldn't sleep flat in their cribs, we moved the swings to our room...And one or the other (once both) could sleep with ease in the swing...(again, not on) And that meant that we could sleep a bit, too...

The double snap and go was great while they were in the infant carriers...

If there's any expectant twin mom locally (Cape Cod, SE Mass) who needs a double snap n go, just let me know...You're welcome to mine...

:) Jen

Kindra178
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
What is annoying for me. I have the safe seat - so no snap and go can take a safe seat. I will have to buy two new carseats!

LaCostaMom
02-24-2008, 06:21 PM
So far we have the following:

2 cribs
2 Graco Snugrides (+ 2 extra bases)
1 double SNG
2 Swings (papasan type)
2 Bouncies (swings & bouncers are loaners)
2 Highchairs
2 Baby Bjorns
2 Boppy play mats
1 activity mat
1 Zooper Tango
1 bassinette
1 co-sleeper
3 ring slings (gifts)

For a diaper bag, I bought a TUMI Vista Boarding Bag (walnut) - it has tons of pockets & is extremely lightweight. I also have a Swiss Army computer backpack as well as Mandarina Duck messenger tote that should all be handy (I hope!).

At some point, I'm hoping to pick up a used BOB Revolution Duallie 12".

gatorsmom
02-26-2008, 09:59 AM
What is annoying for me. I have the safe seat - so no snap and go can take a safe seat. I will have to buy two new carseats!

I could have sworn I'd replied to this but my post isn't here. YES!!! you absolutely can put Safeseat1s in the double SNG. I use a Snap and Go with my 2 Safeseats. It works great.

Kindra178
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
GatorsMom

My friend with twins returned her safeseats and bought snugrides because the safeseats couldn't fit in the double snap n go. In your experience, did the safeseats just snap right in? thanks.

o_mom
02-28-2008, 07:05 PM

Lisa already covered the double SNG, but I will add that the single SNG most certainly takes a SafeSeat. I really can't figure out why BT keeps saying on the website that it doesn't work. The only thing I can figure is that the 30 lb weight limit on the SafeSeat is more than the 25 lb limit on the SNG.

gatorsmom
02-28-2008, 11:02 PM
GatorsMom

My friend with twins returned her safeseats and bought snugrides because the safeseats couldn't fit in the double snap n go. In your experience, did the safeseats just snap right in? thanks.

Well, I'm not sure how the double SNG was assembled inside the box since FIL attempted and failed to put it together for me while I was in the hospital. But, I can tell you that when I went to put the Safeseats in the stroller myself, I had to adjust the bars on the top of the stroller to the "Graco" setting. It explained in the instruction manual how to do that. Once I did that, they snapped in no problem. Here is the link to the instruction manual page.

http://www.babytrend.com/Instruction.php?pages=8

After looking at the website, it appears that there are 2 types of double SNGs. Maybe your friend has one that doesn't take Safeseats?

ETA: I tried to find a used SNG but couldn't so I bought mine from Target.com. This is the one I bought and takes the SafeSeats:
http://www.target.com/Baby-Trend-Double-Stroller-Black/dp/B000LEI82W/qid=1204254304/ref=br_1_3/601-4403757-6548964?ie=UTF8&node=3580041&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

hth

LaCostaMom
02-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Gatorsmom - do your car seats lift out easily when you pull up on the front of the car seat? I know they lock into place from the back (onto the SNG bar) but I was kind of alarmed that you can simply jar/lift the front and the whole thing comes out! I know there are straps that I'm assuming will keep them secure but I was just surprised that the whole infant car seat doesn't snap (rather than just that back).

Thanks!

novmber
03-22-2008, 08:25 PM
I can't believe my twins are almost a year!

We have . . . .
- one exersaucer (bought at twin resale)
- two used papsan bouncers (only really used one) plus a borrowed fisher price bouncer
- two papasan nature's touch swings (one was borrowed) - these were a lifesaver!
- one tiny love gymini play mat (craig's list)
- one deluxe Jumparoo
- two pack n plays (both from craig's list - have used this as a bed a number of times as my twins are still sleeping in separate rooms - one in our bedroom)
- two cribs (Delta Luv Jenny Lind - very inexpensive but safe)
- two infant seats (Graco snug ride - handmedowns from friend with twins)
- two convertible seats (Britax roundabout bought new)
- two back-up convertible seats for the other car (Cosco Scenera from Walmart)
- two Fisher Price space saver high chairs (one borrowed from a friend)
- two Bebe pods and one borrowed Bumbo
- one Arm's Reach cosleeper
- one double snap and go
- one hand me down Combi savvy double stroller
- one Graco duoglider that we really haven't used at all (bought used)
- just bought a Baby Jogger City Double classic
- one Ergo carrier (highly recommend)
- one hip hammock

the diaper bag i ended up with (not my first purchase) and really like is the Skip Hop duo double (i think that is what it is called).

tons and tons of adorable girl clothes - way too many!

Kindra178
05-07-2008, 04:24 PM
How many bottles? I plan on nursing, but expect to supplement with formula as needed. With my first, we switched from Dr. Brown's to Avent Tempo (drop ins) and those worked well. However, I hate the environmental impact of throwing away so many liners for 11 months or so.