PDA

View Full Version : Teaching to write letters: Book & Video Recs

mommy111
02-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Posting this for a very dear friend.....Do the mamas here have any recommendations for good teaching to write books and/or even videos? Anything that they use? Friend's DS appears to be way behind his kindy class in forming letters. Part of the problem is that its really hard to get him to actually sit and concentrate. The other part of the problem, though, is that my friend just hasn't found a good practice book of the kind that they use in kindergarten. I was wondering if the mommies (and daddies) here had any suggestions re books and/or videos that would make the process more interesting for her DS.

hellokitty
02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I heard that handwriting without tears is a wonderful program. Esp for kids who are struggling with writing. We plan to use it, my oldest son gets very frustrated with writing, but I'm trying not to push writing too much. Many boys are behind when it comes to writing, so it's pretty normal for boys to struggle with writing.

katydid1971
02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I taught with Handwriting without tears for years and love it.
http://www.hwtears.com/parents/newtohwt

jenmcadams
02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Just heading out the door, but thought I'd add one more thing (I have heard awesome things about handwriting without tears). My DD loved these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Wipe-Clean-Letters-Wipe-Clean-Letter-Writing/dp/B000ESSRT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203092577&sr=8-1

They have ones for numbers and words too.

There are also some websites where you can generate practice handwriting sheets:

http://www.writingwizard.longcountdown.com/handwriting_practice_worksheet_maker.html

There are a few -- I just couldn't find the one I used before, but a bunch of worksheet wizard software is available free on the web

mommy111
02-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Thank you ladies, all, you are awesome! I have ordered the HWT for my friend's DS. Please keep the suggestions coming and I will print them out and take them over to her.

egoldber
02-15-2008, 01:40 PM
HWOT is a good program. But I would also be a bit hesitant to push handwriting on a kindergartener. K is when they should be just learning to write, and in mnay places, intensive writing practice doesn't start until 1st, and there's a reason for that. Many children are not developmentally ready to write until first grade.

Just as a reference, my 6 yo could make all her letters, but not well, at the beginning of first. Now, half way into first grade, she writes several sentences at a time easily. When it clicks it, it can just take off.

I'd be personally more concerned with making writing into a battle. Unless his teacher is concerned and is recommending extra practice, I wouldn't push writing practice at home.

Jen841
02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
We have a Spiderman book from the Dollar Store DS is loving writing with. He is four and can and does write upper and lower case letters, mixing them the right and wrong way.

I don't mean to disagree with the previous poster, but I thought writing letters and recognizing them was a Pre K skill, then making simple works and starting reading is a K skill. Maybe I am off, I purely learned from other mothers in the area. I confess to not doing research. I know the KinderCare Pre K program has them writing letters now.

To learn recognize letters a friend is singing the praise of Leap Frog's Letter Factory. The DVD was $6.99 at Costco yesterday and they apparently have a whole series of learning DVD's. A DVD is such a treat for my kids I think they would be all for one... learning and entertainment!

hellokitty
02-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't mean to disagree with the previous poster, but I thought writing letters and recognizing them was a Pre K skill, then making simple works and starting reading is a K skill. Maybe I am off, I purely learned from other mothers in the area. I confess to not doing research. I know the KinderCare Pre K program has them writing letters now.

That's one of the problems with the schools of today. Most of them have fast forwarded their curriculum, by at least one yr regarding things like reading and writing. A lot of kids are not developmentally ready to start reading and writing at pre-k or k. I think what has happened now is that there are a slew of freaked out parents thinking something is wrong with their child, when there is nothing wrong with their child. There is something very wrong with the school system, expecting children to perform skills that they are developmentally not ready for.

AngelaS
02-15-2008, 11:58 PM
I agree, that many kindergarteners are not ready to write. Little boys especially don't have the fine motor skills necessary to write. I'd encourage your friend to do lots of things that encourage his fine motor skills--small Legos, sorting little buttons, dropping beans into an empty water bottle (through the small opening), stringing pony beads, sorting coins, stand a muffin tin on it's side and sort little pompons into the different openings, etc..

lisams
02-16-2008, 01:11 AM
I love the Handwriting Without Tears program. It's more than just a workbook, though.

Another fabulous way to help children develop the fine motor and hand/eye coordination skills needed to print is with mazes! It helps the child make curves while following a path (pre-writing skill) and they enjoy it. They're great for children who aren't ready to sit and practice writing letters. DD espcially likes the Kumon maze books (I get them at Barnes and Noble in the workbook section).

spanannie
02-16-2008, 06:54 PM
They expect the kids to be writing their name at the beginning of Pre-K where my kids go. This is DS's 2nd Pre-K and the kids are at least 4.5 when they start the year. They pretty much all write sentences. I guess it varies as to where you are.

HWOT is a good program. But I would also be a bit hesitant to push handwriting on a kindergartener. K is when they should be just learning to write, and in mnay places, intensive writing practice doesn't start until 1st, and there's a reason for that. Many children are not developmentally ready to write until first grade.

Just as a reference, my 6 yo could make all her letters, but not well, at the beginning of first. Now, half way into first grade, she writes several sentences at a time easily. When it clicks it, it can just take off.

I'd be personally more concerned with making writing into a battle. Unless his teacher is concerned and is recommending extra practice, I wouldn't push writing practice at home.

mommy111
02-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow, thank you for all the suggestions! (I think my DD may love the maze books as well, what a great idea!!!!)
I know that I tend to have a very lax policy on what DD should learn or not (she loves and is way ahead in reading, can't write a straight line and hates holding pencils :) and I tend to be of the 'let kids be kids' philosophy. Beth, I always chuckle at your posts because your posts on this topic usually mirror exactly what I feel ). But my friend and her DH may be moving to Japan for DH's company for a couple of years, and have their DS go to Japanese school on the weekends to get him prepared. So apart from the K teacher (who really does expect the kids to write letters/does worksheets with them) , the kids in Japanese school his age are already writing! And she doesn't want DS to feel 'behind' when they enroll him in school there (they are deciding between a very good British school and an American school in Japan and apparently the British school also has very high expectations).
Please keep them coming and we'll keep looking and thank you again so much!

egoldber
02-16-2008, 10:58 PM
when they enroll him in school there

Part of my point was just because he isn't writing *now* doesn't mean he won't be ready and able to write *then*. But pushing him now if he isn't ready, may create long term power struggles over school and writing.