PDA

View Full Version : Help me name this (antique!) toy from my childhood

bubbaray
02-15-2008, 04:49 PM
When I was a kid growing up in the Boston area, I collected these little rubbery figurines. They were about 1" high and kinda the texture of erasers (but they didn't erase). I had pretty much every animal imaginable. I played with them constantly. I have no idea where my mother got them, but for some reason seem to think that they were a gas-station (or store) giveaway?!

I'd love to get some for DD#1, I think she'd love them. My mom used to make snowscapes using shaving foam on a cookie sheet for me to put these animals in.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?? What are these things called and where to I find them now?????

TIA!

JTsMom
02-15-2008, 07:47 PM
were they just animals? I swear I remember something like that- but I want to say they were little dwarfs or something...

Were they all one color?

bubbaray
02-15-2008, 08:37 PM
There could have been things other than just animals. I remember a Rudolf-like reindeer/deer....

MamaMolly
02-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Try a teacher supply store. They sound like pencil toppers I used to get as a kid and then give as rewards as a teacher. I remember dinosaurs. Blue dinosaurs!

bubbaray
02-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Try a teacher supply store. They sound like pencil toppers I used to get as a kid and then give as rewards as a teacher. I remember dinosaurs. Blue dinosaurs!

Hmmm, you might be right -- off to search! Thanks!! :)

kristenk
02-15-2008, 10:53 PM
What about the math counters at lakeshore learning? They seem similar to what you're describing.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CproductSubCat~~p%7C2534374302076080~~f%7C/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByAgeOrGrade/34yrpreschool/mathematics.jsp

(Don't know if the giant URL above is going to work. If not, go to www.lakeshorelearning.com (http://www.lakeshorelearning.com) and search for math counters library 2)

bubbaray
02-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Hey, that pig looks familiar, LOL!

Getting closer -- keep the links coming! :)

Alys the Cat
02-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Look up item 360023709522 on eBay. (Sorry -- I'm having a hard time clearing my cache, and I don't want to pass along a link that has my user name.) If you search for vintage rubber animals, you'll see a few more being auctioned individually. But this is a decent-size lot.

I know that doesn't help you identify where they came from, but the description seems to fit!

bubbaray
02-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes, they were just like that, only better quality (no seams, more detail on the faces).

:) Getting closer....