PDA

View Full Version : How can I postpone my period???

nicoleflynn
02-16-2008, 02:57 AM
We are going to have a beach vacation next week and I am afraid I'll have my period the whole time. I was so looking forward to it and we paid quite a bit of money for it, now I won't even enjoy it, it's just not fair. I searched the web for a way to stop menstruation but it looks as if the only alternative is to use hormonal drugs. I called my ob's office and they said they won't prescribe it as a policy since it is not medically necessary. I feel so bummed. Is there any other way you can think of? Tampons usually leak and I can't trust them to go into the pool. Do you know of something I can find over the counter? TIA.

JBaxter
02-16-2008, 07:12 AM
They only way I know if is if you are already on the pill. If you are then just start taking the new pack and skip taking the "fake" pills.

AngelaS
02-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Get pregnant?? ;)

lizajane
02-16-2008, 11:09 AM
try a diva cup. with practice, it will not leak. (not sure why tampons leak for you? i have been using them at the pool since i was 12 with no trouble.)

tarabenet
02-16-2008, 11:32 AM
The Diva Cup works great for me, but if tamapon are a problem for you, it might not be so great either. Maybe you have tried only one brand of tampons, and another might fit better? Kotex expands primarily lengthwise, which seems to be great for some women, although I can't stand it. Playtex sort of bells outward, which does a better job blocking the path for me. Maybe there is something else with even a slightly different way of catching things that might work for you? Buy a small box of 2 o 3 or 4 different products, set out glases of water, and dunk 'em in and see what looks more secure to you. Or just take them all with you and have them handy.

Good luck and have fun!

ha98ed14
02-16-2008, 02:42 PM
I use OB brand tampons (Sorry, TMI, not that you want to know that) but and they expand out (horozontal), not down (vertically). They work for me in the pool or beach.

niccig
02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
It's probably silly to suggest - but along with different brands try different absorbency. I need super for the first day or two, and then go to regular for the remainder. If you change it regularly, that should help too. If it's still not enough, have a chat with your OB at you next visit.

TahliasMom
02-16-2008, 08:09 PM
They only way I know if is if you are already on the pill. If you are then just start taking the new pack and skip taking the "fake" pills.

same here. i'm on 3 off and 1 on bcp. so for 3 months i dont get my period, then the 4th month i have it. it's awesome!!!

shilo
02-17-2008, 03:49 AM
my first choice would be a diva cup (i've seen them on the shelf at whole foods recently) and second choice would be OB tampons. i've swam and dove with both in place and haven't ever had a problem. my mom's uterus is even more retroverted than mine and i know she used to have a problem with tampons leaking until she tried/found OB. so that's what i'd always used up until i found out about the diva cup from posts here. i'll never use another tampon again! the diva cup is just so much more comfortable to wear.

hth, lori

Melanie
02-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I 4th (or 5th?) The Diva Cup but there's a learning curve to it sometimes and I'm not sure a beach vacation would be an ideal time to try it.

Oregonmother
02-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Just a FYI, if you are on a low dose pill such as ortho-tri-cyclen, it doesn't work to just skip the last 7 pills and go straight to the next pack. I tried it and it didn't work for me. I used to do it all the time when I was on a steady dose pill (orthocept) and it worked just fine.