PDA

View Full Version : Girl's name poll

sidmand
02-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Okay, I know there was recently a question about boys names. DH asked his coworkers and I don't have any coworkers, so I'm hoping you ladies might help out! No guarantees, although I don't think we'll be adding to this list, just because...well, we've finally narrowed it down!

And I think we'll have the name before the hospital because although I like the idea of "just look at the baby and you'll know," I don't think that'll work for us.

FWIW, DS's name is "Sawyer." So a bit unusual for a first name, but not too too tricky. DH vetoed any name that was a noun or a verb! Not so much a problem with a girl's name, I don't think.

ETA: Didn't want to make the poll too long, but some more details...DH's last name is three syllables, starting with "La"; I prefer Mia to Amelia (and would use that, but that's not DH's preference [yet]), DH did/does really like Hannah, but our SIL mentioned the popularity of Hannah Montana might take away from that!; I like Colby but am having problems getting past that it's a soap character's name...Phew, other than that...

JBaxter
02-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Alexa -- There are 3 in Nathan's preschool I like less common names

Chelsea -- I think Chelsea Clinton ( good or bad thats what pops in my head)

Colby/Colbie -- More commonly a boys name around here She would run into people thinking she was a boy

Hannah Madison Both really common names

Amelia -- I think of my cousin Amy ( we wont go there)

Samara...... I like. Pretty more original child or adult name almost exotic :)

mommyoftwo
02-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Obviously my favorite is Amelia. :) I like Alexa, Madison, and Hannah but all are fairly common names. I like more unsual names although Amelia is becoming much more commmon to my dismay.

kss611
02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
FYI - Colby-Sawyer is a college in New Hampshire! I am not sure if many people would make the correlation. On the other hand, you would have ready made t-shirts and sweatshirts for the little ones.

MommytoEliana
02-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I like Samara. It's beautiful and relatively unusual--both things I look for in a name.

sidmand
02-16-2008, 01:43 PM
FYI - Colby-Sawyer is a college in New Hampshire! I am not sure if many people would make the correlation. On the other hand, you would have ready made t-shirts and sweatshirts for the little ones.

That's kind of cute. We're actually in Massachusetts and as soon as I mentioned the college, DH said, "oh yeah!" I've heard the name too, but never thought about it.

I think he hit on Colbie because of the singer (Colbie Caillat?). I know Chelsea was from the UK soccer team(!), but I too think of Chelsea Clinton. I think 1/2 the names were from his last, half from mine, although a couple appeared on both. I remember that names seemed like such a fun thing until you realize they'll have the name forever. Sawyer was nearly "Jacob" until we realized it was the most popular name in the country! (And DH's cousin named her son Jacob.) Hey, there were three "Debbies" in most of my classes growing up. I don't know anyone with those names IRL except for a couple of Hannahs though. I wonder if it can be a geographical thing as well.

sidmand
02-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I like Samara. It's beautiful and relatively unusual--both things I look for in a name.

You know, I heard someone at the doctor's office yesterday with a newborn named "Eliana" and really liked that. DH wouldn't add it to the list though, but I think it's a beautiful name. I think Samara is growing on me too. At first I thought I liked it because I like "Sam." But I am leaning more toward that too.

ETA: to fix a typo

newmomto1
02-16-2008, 02:15 PM
You know, I heard someone at the doctor's office yesterday with a newborn named "Eliana" and really liked that. DH wouldn't add it to the list though, but I think it's a beautiful name. I think Samara is growing on me too. At first I thought I liked it because I like "Sam." But I am leaning more toward that too.

ETA: to fix a typo

Alexa was at the top of our list for a long time...we ended up going with Alexandra though. We figured we could always shorten it to Alexa for a nickname (but so far we call her Alexandra or Allie).
I LOOOVE the name Eliana & pushed for it, but DH didn't care for it :(

Marisa6826
02-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Amelia (for obvious reasons) :) - oh, and we call her 'Mia' most of the time.

-m

mdb78
02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I knew a Samara in middle school. She was nice, everyone liked her.. :)

wellyes
02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I like Amelia: it's old-fashioned, makes me remember the Amelia Bedelia books! Chelsea is nice as well.

Hannah and Madison are too trendy for me, as is Colby (the "make boy's name into girl's name" trend). I know two people with Samara as a *last* name, so I'm not inclined towards it, but I do like "Samara and Sawyer" as a combo.

kijip
02-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I like Hannah and I like Amelia. Along the same vein I LOVE the name Amelie.

MontrealMum
02-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I like Hannah and Amelia both - though Hannah has become hugely popular lately. They are both old-fashioned and classic which is nice. I would have said Alexa as well but that is the first name of a political figure up here which might lead to teasing.

I wouldn't want to chose a trendy name that doesn't age well as the child ages. Some of those last-name-as-first-names are nice, but I personally wouldn't go that route as I hear there are lots of confused teachers (and others) out there with male and female versions of the same name in their classes. Probably not so fun for the child. When I was a kid it was all Jennys and Lisas - not bad names either, just really common. So, I would lean towards the more classic, but not too popular. Confusing enough?

mommy2amelia
02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm a little partial to Amelia since we'll be naming our daughter that. Samara is different but it's a very popular LAST name where I live (northeast)

KrisM
02-16-2008, 09:38 PM
[QUOTE=sidmand]That's kind of cute. We're actually in Massachusetts and as soon as I mentioned the college, DH said, "oh yeah!" I've heard the name too, but never thought about it.

QUOTE]

DH is also from MA and could never do Chelsea because it's a city outside of Boston.

Gena
02-16-2008, 11:26 PM
I like Amelia and Hannah, both are timeless classic names.

Samara is a pretty name, but I had nightmares for weeks after watching "The Ring".

anamika
02-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Samara is a pretty name, but I had nightmares for weeks after watching "The Ring".

Yes, I really hesitated to mention this but now that it's out there - The Ring was the first thing I thought of too.
I love the name, BTW. So unique. Just wish that I didn't associate with the movie in my head! What a waste of a pretty name!

Melanie
02-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I really like Amelia but if that poses an issue with your last name, another pretty one I've heard lately is Amelie.

american_mama
02-17-2008, 12:52 AM
I picked Hannah, not usually a favorite of mine, because I liked the two syllables with a 3 syllable last name, especially one with an "ah" sound in it (I assume the La makes a "lah" sound).

I love the name Samara too. It's a name I've thought of for years, and I half wished we'd named DD that. It is a region of some country, and a brand of children's clothes, and maybe a city in the Middle East too. But it might be a little long and have too many "ah" sounds with your last name

KBecks
02-17-2008, 07:42 AM
I voted for Chelsea. It's unusual and will age very well.

Colby is the name of a cheese, so I think that violates the noun rule. :) Plus, I think of it is a male name.

There are so many Mias and Madisons; they are nice names, but something different would be nicer.

Best wishes,

KBecks
02-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Another great test is to imagine whether you would like this name for yourself, could you imagine living with it (or at least the first name)through your whole life to date?

Alexa La-da-da
Amelia (Mia) La-da-da
Chelsea La-da-da
Colby/Colbie La-da-da
Hannah La-da-da
Madison La-da-da
Samara La-da-da

By that test I still like Chelsea and would add Mia and Hannah. I could see Alexa if you called her Alex all the time. I also like Samara but a Samara should "look" like a Samara, and the nn Sam is cute.

I'd definitely nix Madison and Colby.

For sibling combos, I like Chelsea, Mia, and Hannah the best with Sawyer. (And Sawyer is a nice name to work with!) The book The Baby Name Wizard suggests Macy, Eden, Serena, Skye and Rylie as sister names for Sawyer, FWIW.

MontrealMum
02-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Just to add another bit of info: my husband's cousin is called Lexi - which I think is a cute nickname. I think her given name is Alexandra, but you could use that for Alexa as well.

Momof3Labs
02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
For sibling combos, I like Chelsea, Mia, and Hannah the best with Sawyer. (And Sawyer is a nice name to work with!) The book The Baby Name Wizard suggests Macy, Eden, Serena, Skye and Rylie as sister names for Sawyer, FWIW.

Oh, I really like Serena with Sawyer! Better than Samara, which was my original vote.

sidmand
02-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh, I really like Serena with Sawyer! Better than Samara, which was my original vote.

Serena was on my original list and I really like it, but I think DH vetoed it awhile ago...at least by the time we got to this list!

I think he kept Samara because (at least in our baby book), it says it's of Hebrew origin. He's not Jewish, but I am, and I know the name "Sawyer" did not thrill my family!

HIU8
02-18-2008, 12:26 AM
I love Alexa. There are no Alexa's in DS class. Actually there are no girls with any of the names you are looking at in his school. Lexi is a cute nickname also. DH and I actually considered Alexis as a name for DD at one point.