PDA

View Full Version : Stroller Questions/Infant Twins and a Toddler

Kindra178
02-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I have searched the stroller board and I come up two options for a stroller for infant twins and a 2 year old: (1) ABC and (2) Valco with toddler seat. Neither seem that great to me. What I want is the triple mountain buggy, but it can't fit through doors. Why isn't there a triple Bob Rev? The stroller is my primary transportation.

I am SO thrilled this board is up and running. Thanks Gators Mom for the input already - I think you will be a great resource here.

gatorsmom
02-18-2008, 12:02 AM
aw shucks! Thanks- that made my day. It's been a long one.

As for the stroller situation, I think you accurately summed up your options. I did a lot of research on that too because before we knew we were having twins, I though I was pregnant with a singleton. So we were looking for triple strollers.

There might be some other triple options, but they aren't Side-by-sides (SBS) like the Mountain Buggy. For example, I think there is an Inglesina that allows for 3 seats but i've heard it's difficult to steer. Actually, your options aren't all that bad. The Valco is a great stroller. And I have an ABC stroller with the toddler add-on seat and it's a good quality stroller too. Of course, they are both pricey. And each has it's pros and cons.

If I were you, I'd keep looking and doing research and wait til a few months before you deliver to buy something because new products are coming out all the time. GL!

HIU8
02-18-2008, 12:28 AM
One of my neighbors with Twin DD's and a younger DD has a triple Baby Jogger, but there is no way to fit it through doors. It's a really nice stroller for outside though.

sddancer
03-04-2008, 01:59 PM
i have a friend with twins and a toddler that uses and MBUD with a Buggy Board.

I'm currently grappling with this issue as well. Up until now I've thought that I would just get a double stroller since the 3rd seat options are so expensive. And there are many times when I'll just have my twins and not my toddler. Or if I'm with my husband, we can use a double and single stroller.

Right now I'm looking at the Baby Jogger City Mini Double, Combi Savvy Double, Maclaren Twin Techno Double, and Inglesina Double.

And I'm soooo confused! :)

Mom to Sam, almost 3,
and twin girls, 10 months

salsah
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
i don't have any first hand experience in this area / haven't done any research, but i thought i would mention another option that you could look into if you haven't already -- strollers designed for day cares.

i saw a woman at the mall with quadruplet infants. she had a 2x2 stroller -- imagine connecting two sbs strollers together one in front of the other (or connecting two tandems next to each other). although large, she was obviously able to use it at the mall. she said that it is marketed towards day cares -- she bought it through a day care supplier of some sort.

hth

gatorsmom
03-04-2008, 06:56 PM
i saw a woman at the mall with quadruplet infants. she had a 2x2 stroller -- imagine connecting two sbs strollers together one in front of the other (or connecting two tandems next to each other). although large, she was obviously able to use it at the mall. she said that it is marketed towards day cares -- she bought it through a day care supplier of some sort.

hth

I've seen this stroller. It's called the Foundations stroller. Here's a link:

http://www.justmultiples.com/quad-commercial-stroller.html

The lady who was pushing the one I saw said it was a BEAR to push. She said she hated the fact that you always had to hold the brake bar to make it go- as soon as you let go of the bar it would stop moving. and it is VERY heavy. Just something to think about.

Kindra178
03-05-2008, 03:56 PM
To SalsaH

My toddler probably woudn't be old enough to be successful on a board - he will be about 26 months. He needs to be contained! I think the board would be a great option for a three year old rider though. We do a lot of walking so a double with a toddler seat is a good option. I just wish Bob made one.

HIU8
03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm not a mom of multiples, but my neighbor has 3 yr old twins and an 18 month old. She has a triple tandem stroller (looks like a bear to push, but I think it was her only option if she wanted to go out alone with all 3 children when her youngest DD was a baby). She also has a Baby Jogger Q series triple I believe. It can't fit through doors but it is wonderful for taking the dogs for a walk--we have the double version.

mjmamma
03-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't know of a high end brand but there are double sit and stands that might be helpful for two infants and a toddler.The accommodate two infant car seats. Joovy has one for approx $300. My regular sit and stand is excellent to push and fits through mall doors. I've had a good experience with it.

egoldber
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I there a link to the ABC stroller with toddler seat? I've searched to no avail.

I'm looking at strollers for my SIL who is expecting twins. Her older DD will be 18 months when she delivers.

gatorsmom
03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I there a link to the ABC stroller with toddler seat? I've searched to no avail.

I'm looking at strollers for my SIL who is expecting twins. Her older DD will be 18 months when she delivers.

Here's a link:
http://www.abcbuggy.co.nz/everest_twin_buggy_w_toddler_seat.html

I actually have this stroller. I bought it with the double toddler seat. Yes, believe it or not you can get 2 kids on top! Since I bought the double toddler seat, Phil at ABC Strollers threw in the single toddler seat too. With the single toddler seat up top, it works very nicely. Honestly, I think it feels a bit unstable with 2 children up there, although Phil swears it's perfectly fine. Anyway, the kids LOVE sitting on top.

Tondi G
03-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I suppose it wouldn't work forever but in the beginning chances are you will end up with a little one who likes to be close and you could continue to use your BOB with your toddler in one seat, one baby in the other and the other twin in a sling or bjorn! I would probably go with the ABC as opposed to the Valco cause a lot of reviews talk about how the extra weight of a toddler over the front wheel makes the steering not so great. You might have to opt for something like a triple jogger outside and then get something for indoors like a joovy? You can always keep your BOB and use is as suggested above for indoors as well.

Good Luck.... strollers get tough when you need them for more than 2 riders!

jacobsmommy
03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Here's a link:
http://www.abcbuggy.co.nz/everest_twin_buggy_w_toddler_seat.html

I actually have this stroller. I bought it with the double toddler seat. Yes, believe it or not you can get 2 kids on top! Since I bought the double toddler seat, Phil at ABC Strollers threw in the single toddler seat too. With the single toddler seat up top, it works very nicely. Honestly, I think it feels a bit unstable with 2 children up there, although Phil swears it's perfectly fine. Anyway, the kids LOVE sitting on top.

What is the weight limit for the toddler seat?

gatorsmom
03-13-2008, 11:56 PM
You know, I looked for the weight limits and could not find it. If you contact Phil at Adventure Buggy Company, he's great about answering back quickly. I know I asked him this question, too, and he answered me last summer. I just don't remember his response. Sorry.

hardysmom
04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Just popping in-

DS was not-quite 2.5 when my twins were born. He could walk, but needed to be contained.

At the time, I was thick into my stroller obsession. Before twins, I went trough 50 strollers!

Anyway, I started with a Inglesina BiPosto Trio which is a bear of a stroller. You can configure the seats in a number of ways- two side-by-side with the third facing in or out. Three in a row, etc... The seats convert from bassinet to regular seats. BEAUTIFUL pram quality. The down side is that, as a triple, the wheels are fixed so it is only practical outdoors or in wide open spaces. The newer, "regular" Inglesina Trio is also of high quality and is probably the best (and most expensive) real 3-seater. Still, it is heavy and not so practical to transport.

I also started with a MBUD with a board. DS was really too young for the board, but we made due. It worked for short walks to Mother's Day Out and such.

In the VERY beginning, I usually sucked it up and either tried to steer the SNG or MBUD with one hand while dragging DS with the other or followed the advice of Those-Who-Never-Had-Twins and wore one baby while DS and the other twin rode in the MBUD. Wow, I don't miss those outings!

A friend had a Valco Double w/ toddler seat. It wasn't for us. Too fiddley. I didn't like the steering, etc...

Eventually I got an ABC single with a ts, but by then, DS was too big to ride in the toddler seat. He would have "fit" as it is quite roomy, but his weight on the higher seat would have made the single unbalanced and top-heavy. If I'd had the double w/ the ts, life would have been easier...With a smaller toddler on top (or a toddler + twin in primary seats) it would have been balanced well. The added weight and base width of the double makes the ts seem more stable than the single version. Still, it isn't perfect. The fold is weird and VERY long so it won't fit in many trunks- including some SUVs and mini-vans.

Hope this helps,

Stephanie

maestramommy
04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Kindra, if you haven't made a decision yet, how about getting a double, and wearing one of your babies? I have a baby and a toddler, and didn't want to get a double, so my toddler is in the single and I wear the baby. Occasionally my toddler likes to walk so I push an empty stroller or put the baby in it. It works very well for me because the smaller the stroller, the easier it is to get around.

Oak
04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
I would get the Valco! I love mine.

twinsplustoddler
05-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Oops, I posted almost the same question in this board also, so I will just reply to this one since it seems to be longer w/ more posters already.

Re the Valco - the only negative I've heard about it is that it is very heavy and big when folded (i.e. maybe too big for an SUV or minivan)....anyone have any input on that? If I get that as my long-walks stroller, could I do a Maclaren (or something similar) with a buggy board? DD will be 2y4m when the twins arrive - when do toddlers start standing on the buggy board?

Kindra178
06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
That may be old enough for a buggy board - I have heard 2.5 -3 is better for a buggy board. Question - what stroller do I travel with?

BeachBum
06-20-2008, 06:50 AM
As for the buggy board, my son has been riding on it since he was about 2. We have a P3 with the built in toddler step. I will say though that if he is having a snack he sits down, but the rest of the time he prefers to stand. I think it really just depends on your child what will work.

If anyone emails ABC will you please post here what you find out about the toddler weight limit, and length of the fold. thanks.

twinsplustoddler
06-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Has anyone tried the Buggy Board with the Double Snap N Go? They told me at the store that it would work, but based on my experience with a Single Snap N Go when my DD was born, I would think it would be too flimsy...?

abh5e8
07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
what about getting the MBUD (a wonderfule double!!) and one bassinet. when the twins are little you could just snuggle them together in the bassinet and let your toddler ride in the seat. or you could always sling one twin. by the time the twins can sit up, i bet the toddler would be ready to walk or ride on a buggy board.

check out this pic http://www.healthchecksystems.com/mountain_buggy_urban_elite_double_stroller.htm scroll down a ways to the blue one with 1 bassinet.