PDA

View Full Version : Baby with Measles on flight

kusumat
02-16-2008, 11:58 PM
http://www.10news.com/news/15275882/detail.html?rss=sand&psp=news

mom2binsd
02-17-2008, 12:18 AM
I used to live in San Diego and read their paper online and have been following this story....the great vaccination debate is really heating up! As a speech therapist I've met many parents who have had concerns about the autism link and as a parent I just decided to spread out all vaccinations but still made sure my children were covered (I delayed the Hep B until much later)...but here is a great example of how quickly disease can spread. I think this story will continue to garner attention...am sure Jenny McCarthy will chime in on CNN soon (sorry if that sounds catty but I just think she is making too many parents feel like they should be able to cure their children's autism like she supposedly has). I feel terrible that so many babies have gotten measles and hope none become fatal.

stella
02-17-2008, 02:20 PM
It is very scary, and it really makes you think about the cost of not vaccinating. Of course I am concerned about the MMR and the possible link with autism, but I also think we have been in blissful denial of the horror of certain childhood diseases that many of us have never seen since we have all of these vaccinations available to us.

kusumat
02-17-2008, 03:12 PM
They believe that it started from an 8 yrs kid who got it during the vacation in Switzerland. That got me thinking. What' s on earth that the 8 yrs kid was still not vaccinated? I understand and respect parents who are concerned about the link b/w autism and MMR and choose to delay. But I think they should be the specific timeline set by law to protect remaining community who chose to vaccinated on AAP's schedule and most importantly children under 1 yr who can't get on it yet. Ok, if you want to delay, you need to get it done bf entering the preschool. Can't they at least do that?

That got me angry and scared at the same time. What are the points of having the vaccines if people don't use them? The result of researches prove no link b/w MMR and autism. Perhaps, parents of older kids who was not vaccinated and caused this mess should take some responsibility in this.

JBaxter
02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I used to live in San Diego and read their paper online and have been following this story....the great vaccination debate is really heating up! As a speech therapist I've met many parents who have had concerns about the autism link and as a parent I just decided to spread out all vaccinations but still made sure my children were covered (I delayed the Hep B until much later)...but here is a great example of how quickly disease can spread. I think this story will continue to garner attention...am sure Jenny McCarthy will chime in on CNN soon (sorry if that sounds catty but I just think she is making too many parents feel like they should be able to cure their children's autism like she supposedly has). I feel terrible that so many babies have gotten measles and hope none become fatal.

I have to chime in on Jenny McCarthy. Her son had done REMARKABLY better with the biomedical treatments as have 2 of my friends who have children with autism. Are they cured no but the are functioning at a near normal level. Yes you did cound catty and I do know children who have benifited from "nontraditonal" methods of treating the epidemic of autism that is in this country. 1 in 150 children are affected..... 1 in 94 boys. Something has to be done and if it means cutting back or not giving 4 or 5 immunizations at a time then so be it.

People survived measles for thousands of years and now with the invention of running water, sewage systems and modern medicine the survival rates are much higer. I to think its sad when anychild is sick but how do we or anyone know it wasnt started by the vaccine its self. My cousin did contract measles from the vaccine. Immuinizations are not perfect.

JBaxter
02-17-2008, 03:28 PM
They believe that it started from an 8 yrs kid who got it during the vacation in Switzerland. That got me thinking. What' s on earth that the 8 yrs kid was still not vaccinated? I understand and respect parents who are concerned about the link b/w autism and MMR and choose to delay. But I think they should be the specific timeline set by law to protect remaining community who chose to vaccinated on AAP's schedule and most importantly children under 1 yr who can't get on it yet. Ok, if you want to delay, you need to get it done bf entering the preschool. Can't they at least do that?

That got me angry and scared at the same time. What are the points of having the vaccines if people don't use them? The result of researches prove no link b/w MMR and autism. Perhaps, parents of older kids who was not vaccinated and caused this mess should take some responsibility in this.

I chose NOT to vaccinate for the MMR because it contines the MRC-5 cell line that was harvested from an aborted fetus. I am anti abortion I am only responsible for my children and their health.

MRC-5 Human diploid fetal cell line was derived from a 14 week gestation
male infant lung tissue; abortion performed for "psychiatric reasons"
(Nature, 277:168 1970; Corriel Cell Repositories Cell Line Characteristics)

Heres the link from the CDC listed by vaccine...
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

brittone2
02-17-2008, 04:48 PM

Parents choose to not vaccinate for a variety of reasons, ranging from religious, moral, ethical, or philosophical reasons (and philosophical reasons are permitted in quite a few states), to health concerns that extend far beyond MMR and Autism. I know this horse has been beat around here more than a few times, but I wanted to say that I think your statement is a gross oversimplification of the issue.

MMR vax uses a live virus and can be shed, FWIW. Ditto oral polio, no longer used here but it was brought to the US via a *vaxed* individual last year (all involved were fine, but my point is certain live virus vaxes can shed)

ha98ed14
02-17-2008, 05:31 PM
MMR vax uses a live virus and can be shed, FWIW. Ditto oral polio, no longer used here but it was brought to the US via a *vaxed* individual last year (all involved were fine, but my point is certain live virus vaxes can shed)

What does this mean, that "a live virus vax can be shed"? At first I thought it was a typo and was supposed to be "spread," but since you typed it twice, I think it is a word I just don't know in this context...

P.S. Does Jenny McCarthy attribute her son's autism to the MMR or any other vax? I didn't even know he had the condition...

brittone2
02-17-2008, 05:38 PM
It is possible for a live-virus vaccine to shed the live virus to other people through bodily fluids, etc. (depending on the actual virus) and in rare cases, this can cause infection in the other individual. The literature also refers to it as "shedding" in many cases.

ha98ed14
02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
It is possible for a live-virus vaccine to shed the live virus to other people through bodily fluids, etc. (depending on the actual virus) and in rare cases, this can cause infection in the other individual. The literature also refers to it as "shedding" in many cases.

thx! i didn't know that.

kusumat
02-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Parents choose to not vaccinate for a variety of reasons, ranging from religious, moral, ethical, or philosophical reasons (and philosophical reasons are permitted in quite a few states), to health concerns that extend far beyond MMR and Autism. I know this horse has been beat around here more than a few times, but I wanted to say that I think your statement is a gross oversimplification of the issue.

Although it uses the live virus, the immunity of 5 yrs kid and older is like a normal adult(according to my Ped). Therefore, it should be really safe for them to be vaccinated and by then their parents should have known that their kid are normal or autistic.

If their choice not to vaccinating did not cause harm to others, I would say they could do whatever they want. Unfortunately, measles is highly contagious and their action made other people's kids sick(including 11 mos old baby). What if it went on even worse and caused <1 yr old babies who were not breastfed or pregnant women ? As you may know if pregnant women caught it and were not immunized, the result could be very tragic. I wonder whether their parents could live with that?

On some websites I read, they even said that the airline should start checking whether the young passengers are vaccinated. I wonder what if they are not, are they going to be kicked out?

kusumat
02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I chose NOT to vaccinate for the MMR because it contines the MRC-5 cell line that was harvested from an aborted fetus. I am anti abortion I am only responsible for my children and their health.

MRC-5 Human diploid fetal cell line was derived from a 14 week gestation
male infant lung tissue; abortion performed for "psychiatric reasons"
(Nature, 277:168 1970; Corriel Cell Repositories Cell Line Characteristics)

Heres the link from the CDC listed by vaccine...
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf

As abortions are done for many reasons, I don't think vaccines will increase or decrease the rate of it.

JBaxter
02-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Although it uses the live virus, the immunity of 5 yrs kid and older is like a normal adult(according to my Ped). Therefore, it should be really safe for them to be vaccinated and by then their parents should have known that their kid are normal or autistic.

If their choice not to vaccinating did not cause harm to others, I would say they could do whatever they want. Unfortunately, measles is highly contagious and their action made other people's kids sick(including 11 mos old baby). What if it went on even worse and caused <1 yr old babies who were not breastfed or pregnant women ? As you may know if pregnant women caught it and were not immunized, the result could be very tragic. I wonder whether their parents could live with that?

On some websites I read, they even said that the airline should start checking whether the young passengers are vaccinated. I wonder what if they are not, are they going to be kicked out?

I would be interested seeing a link to the site where they could check to see if anyone is vaccinated. HIPPA exists for a reason. Why would it be exclusive to children? What would you do in the case of my sister who doenst hold a measles titer? She has had 3 MMR's and refuses any more. Immuinzation in the US is not a reqirement we enjoy such freedoms.

JBaxter
02-17-2008, 06:54 PM
As abortions are done for many reasons, I don't think vaccines will increase or decrease the rate of it.

One abortion is to many.

KBecks
02-17-2008, 07:34 PM

That's not the point. A person who believes abortion is immoral has the right to choose not to be involved with it in any way, shape or form.

Marisa6826
02-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Per the request of one of the participants.

Among other reasons, it's violated the UA, and it's just gotten mean and OT.

-m