PDA

View Full Version : What help would you have?

StantonHyde
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Just got my fix of People last night. THere was a sweet article about Christine Aguilera's baby--and she looks gorgeous with him. I realized that if I had a ton of money, I would have totally had the following while I was on maternity leave:
1. A cook to make nutritious, delicious, low cal meals
2. Full time housekeeper to keep everything clean and the laundry done
3. Several nannies--so I could take a nap when I needed, get a work out in during the day, so I could have had one 4-hour stretch of sleep per night.
4. A baby nurse who could tell me what every sniffle meant so I would not have been so neurotic
5. A trainer to come to my house so I could have gradually gotten into shape and maybe not have 10 baby pounds that just don't want to leave :-)
6. A masseuse who could do 15 minute shoulder massages after every breast feeding.
7. A daily therapist debriefing for new mom-itis :-)

What help would you have had?

On the flip side, Christina really needs to talk to the people who designed the baby's nursery. They put some really ugly/scary "man in the moon" prop from her tour in the nursery. That thing would give me the heebies. I know people who are freaked out by clowns and dolls on the shelf--this thing is way worse. Poor little guy--I guess if you grow up with it, it wouldn't scare you.

maestramommy
02-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I would say ditto on the full time housekeeper. A messy dirty house makes me depressed and stressed out, and laundry is my least favorite chore.

Beyond that I would probably want to take care of things on my own. Yes, it would be nice to have a cook, but without being overly possessive, I would find it stressful to have so many people coming in "to do" for me. I *would* love to have a babysitter on tap so date night wouldn't be a gamble and I could run errands without waiting for weekends. Still, it's kinda cool taking the girls with me since they're still portable.

As a side note, and this is entirely personal, I consider a lot of things that go with having a baby a necessary rite of passage to having a baby, iykwim.

s7714
02-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Without a doubt I'd want a housekeeper to do a lot of the things I hate to do, like clean bathrooms and mop the floors! (I'd probably still do my laundry and a few other things, because there's just something a little unnerving about the thought of a stranger handling my skivvies thank you very much.)

I like to cook, but I would like a nutritionist to come up with menus for my family and do my grocery shopping, so I could just make up the food.

A personal trainer would be quite nice, but in order to make use of one I'd have to also have a part time babysitter/nanny on board to watch my DDs, so I'll add one of those to my list too!

Lastly, I'd like a secretary who would be responsible for making/keeping track of doctors appointments, coordinating and sending out birth announcements, handling calls from MILs, etc. ;)

elizabethkott
02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Oh I totally feel you on the massuse for after BF sessions! How about *during*?!
The personal trainer would also be great, as would the cook/nutritionist.
Same goes for the housekeeper.
And I REALLY like Jenn's idea about a personal secretary. It would have been great to have someone answer the phone whenever my mother called. It would have saved her frantic, panicked multiple phone calls if I happened to not pick up the phone because I was bfing, changing a diaper or napping. :)

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
I have thought about this a bit since ds2 was born.

1. A driver. I want someone who will drop us off right at the curb in front of a store or wherever so I don't have to bother looking for a parking space or lugging stuff around as much.

2. A cook.

3. A nanny so that I have the opprotunity to run quick errands by myself during the day or exercise.

4. A cleaner.

5. I would never turn down a personal trainer.

6. Someone totally in charge of laundry. We generate a lot b/c I appear to be diapering deficient and we get at least one leak/ one messed up item of clothing per day and the baby spits up a ton! Also, I could cloth diaper without any of the work. :)

I wouldn't need all these people full time. A nanny 2-3 days a week for half a day would be quite fine. A cleaner every few days would be ok too though I do admit that I get a tad envious of the neighbors that have a full time housekeeper. It'd just be nice to have a staff on beckon call. :) I really could think of more like someone who was in charge of making appointments and stuff- like a personal assistant.

Beth

npace19147
02-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I love all these ideas, especially the cook and housekeeper! I'd also like a personal shopper to buy and coordinate my clothes for me, so I don't wind up wearing one of the same four shirts and the only pair of jeans that fit me!

Bean606
02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
That's who I want. . . And she wouldn't have to wear that uniform. I would want everything else done around the house, so all I'd have to do is BF and take care of the baby.

gatorsmom
02-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Just got my fix of People last night. THere was a sweet article about Christine Aguilera's baby--and she looks gorgeous with him.
On the flip side, Christina really needs to talk to the people who designed the baby's nursery. They put some really ugly/scary "man in the moon" prop from her tour in the nursery. That thing would give me the heebies. I know people who are freaked out by clowns and dolls on the shelf--this thing is way worse. Poor little guy--I guess if you grow up with it, it wouldn't scare you.

I just read that article and thought the same thing about that moon!!! Very creepy. She said it was a stage prop at one of her shows and she just loved it. I still say creepy.

I also noticed that she said in there that she scheduled her c/section for 37 weeks. She said she was tired of being pregnant and wanted it done early. What doctor would approve that? If she is healthy, wouldn't a good doctor push her strongly to carry the baby as long as possible? superstars. insert eye roll and sigh. (she did look beautiful though).

buddyleebaby
02-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I would have a personal chef and a housekeeper.
Although, if I had a ton of money, I would have them even when I wasn't on maternity leave.

spanannie
02-18-2008, 12:57 AM
I also noticed that she said in there that she scheduled her c/section for 37 weeks. She said she was tired of being pregnant and wanted it done early. What doctor would approve that? If she is healthy, wouldn't a good doctor push her strongly to carry the baby as long as possible? superstars. insert eye roll and sigh.

I read somewhere that she was afraid of what having the baby vaginally would do to her down there. Puh-leeze!

spanannie
02-18-2008, 12:58 AM
I would have a personal chef and a housekeeper.
Although, if I had a ton of money, I would have them even when I wasn't on maternity leave.

I'm with you, if I didn't have to cook, clean, or do laundry, I'd be the happiest woman alive!

kijip
02-18-2008, 04:07 AM
A personal trainer, a personal chef that drops off prepared food or freezer meals, a weekly cleaner and a pp doula would be my dream post baby arrangement.

elephantmeg
02-18-2008, 09:32 AM
wow, what a great dream.

I want:
-a fun/peppy person who will play with DS and take him on adventures so he doesn't feel left out.
-a housekeeper
-someone who will finish the upstairs room that DH hasn't gotten done so I can move the office upstairs.
-a personal assistant-keep track of appointments and run errands! (Maybe like the poor girl in the Devil Wears Prada)? I would be a lot nicer to her though ;)

pinkmomagain
02-18-2008, 09:46 AM
also noticed that she said in there that she scheduled her c/section for 37 weeks. She said she was tired of being pregnant and wanted it done early. What doctor would approve that? If she is healthy, wouldn't a good doctor push her strongly to carry the baby as long as possible?

I hear that's the way the stars are doing it...They get induced 3-4 weeks ahead of due date so their bellies don't get too stretched for those last few weeks when the baby is gaining weight in the womb. And of course, they get the c section so that the other area doesn't get stretched either.