PDA

View Full Version : OT: GPS recs?

KrystalS
02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Dh is getting me a GPS for my birthday. I have no clue how to start researching this, there are so many of them. I've read some reviews on Amazon but so many of them got good reviews. We don't want to spend more than $250. So far I've gotten that the 3 major brands are Magellan, TomTom, & Garmin. So which one to you have? What do you like/dislike about it?

MissyAg94
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
We bought a Garmin and it is great. There are some really good deals right now. We got a nuvi 350 which uses street names when giving directions which is invaluable if you aren't familiar with an area. We also looked at the nuvi 260 which looked like a great unit, too. The 350 had such a good price that we decided to go with it.

schums
02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I second the Garmin. My parent's neighbor/friend is VERY knolwedgable about GPS units, and he says to ONLY buy Garmins. He volunteers/helps run an Air Force museum near here, and they bought a GPS unit to use in the WWII airplanes they fly. He bought several different brands and kept returning them because they didn't work well enough. They kept the Garmin.

My dad bought a Garmin nuvi for Christmas for himself, and he loves it. The unit he got has bluetooth built in, and gets all the "local" info, like restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc. So if he gets stranded, the unit will give him the names/addresses/phones of the local hotels and call them for him so he can find someplace to stay.

Anyways, go with a Garmin. You won't be sorry!

HTH,

wellyes
02-17-2008, 10:35 PM
We bought the Garmin Nuvi 350 and are pleased with it. Part of me wishes I'd gone up to the next model, which includes traffic info & updates. But it does cost quite a bit more.

One thing I really like - and didn't expect - about having a GPS is that it not only gives directions when you put an address in, but also locates businesses and attractions for you, based on your current location. If I'm in a new town, I can quickly find for a place to eat, or the nearest Target, or see if there is a park I can visit.

I believe the reputations are as follows:

Garmin is the hugely popular US brand.
Magellan is fine as well. Most widely used in rental cars.
TomToms are more popular outside the US, good choice for frequent international travellers.

schums
02-17-2008, 10:48 PM
We looked at Magellan a couple of years ago and were disappointed that their map sets were not the complete US/Canada that others offered. You got a regional map set with your unit and then had to spend $$ to buy the other map sets. For example, we're in Michigan, so we got the Midwest map set. However, we have family on the East coast so we would have had to buy the East coast map set. Not sure if this has changed (hope so), but it put me off the Magellan brand.

thomma
02-17-2008, 11:18 PM
We just got the garmin nuvi 360 and love it. It's got bluetooth built in so handsfree calling in the car.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

KrystalS
02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll defintely get a Garmin. Has anyone seen any good deals lately? I don't care too much about the bluetooth capability. I definitely want one that gives street names and has the 2008 maps.

kcimato
02-17-2008, 11:50 PM
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and love it. No use paying for Bluetooth if you don't need it.One thing I recomend is using it locally to get used to it and become familiar with it. You also have to trust it and go the way it tells you not the way you know.

LD92599
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
They had a deal on the 650 i think? I have one and love it!!! It's super bright and widescreen. It's also smaller (weigh and depth) than my Tom Tom which had to be replaced several times.

$299 w/ S&H for the 650:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11237450&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=7&lang=en-US

wellyes
02-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Amazon consistently has the cheapest prices for the Garmin Nuvi 350. I see it because I keep an eye on their electronics bestseller list, and it's always near the top. The price fluctuates a lot. If you're patient, put it in your cart and check for updates there- I've seen it for everything from $300 to $235.

Bean606
02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
If you are a subscriber to consumer reports, they have some good reviews on their website for all the price ranges. I bought my husband the Garmin 580 for V-day, and he really likes it. I got the best deal from pcrush.com. But, it cost $329, so it is a little higher than your budget. It has bluetooth and a free one-year subscription to traffic and weather from MSN direct, which I think is what accounts for the higher price.

KrystalS
02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks everyone, Dh thought the 650 at Costco was a great deal so we went with that one. I can't wait to get it and try it out!

kochh2
02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
would you mind posting how much it was at costco? we're in the market for one as well!! thanks!!

KrystalS
02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
It's $299, which includes shipping, ours came to $308 after taxes. Its a great deal because most places are selling them for at least $350, some for a lot more.