PDA

View Full Version : Please help me to help DS to do #2!!!!

Mamma2004
02-17-2008, 09:30 PM
DS used to do #2 on the potty - not every time but heck, he was doing pretty well. For weeks now, he "tries", does nothing and then does #2 in his pull-up when he's in bed. I feel sorry for him b/c the BM is all dark, hard, awful...and that's despite a healthy diet rich in oatmeal, fresh produce, lots of water and, except for birthday cake and such, no junk.

DS does not drink juice so I am looking for other suggestions. I read the thread that discussed Miralax and now I'm tempted to give that a try.

I would really appreciate your tips for battling this perpetual problem. Thank you!

Stephanie

JBaxter
02-17-2008, 10:17 PM
1 TSP of flaxseed oil per day should help. Mineral oil will work too but I like to stick with organic things for my little guy. LOTS of pears & raisins. I'd try more natural things before I'd try something like Mirilax. Does he not drink juice because he doesnt like it?

Mamma2004
02-18-2008, 08:12 AM
1 TSP of flaxseed oil per day should help.

Where shall I look for flaxseed oil? I would definitely prefer to try something natural before relying on medication.

At first I was the one who didn't allow juice. Now that DS goes to preschool, though, HE chooses not to drink it. To be honest, I am very pleased that he prefers milk and water. However, this constipation issue is making it tough!

Thanks so much for your support.

Stephanie

JBaxter
02-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Look at an organic food store or health food store. Nathan had an issue during potty training where he would hold his poop and he would get constipated. My ped recommended Mineral oil but when I asked his nurse was in mineral oil she had no idea. I knew flax seeds help with constipation ( you can also add flax seeds to his food LOL basiclly hide it where you can they dont have much of a taste ( like in his oatmeal).

I chose the oraginic flax seed oil just because he was 2 1/2 at the time. We started with that then went to prune water mix.

My niece isnt a juice drinker either but my SIL found she will drink pear juice from a juice box . I guess tha cardboard box is magic LOL

misshollygolightly
02-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Ok, this is probably going to sound pretty silly, but I had the same problem as your son when I was a little girl, and my parents' solution (in addition to adding some more whole grains and flax and stuff to my diet) was to read me the book _The Little Engine that Could_ whenever I sat on the pot to go #2. The refrain in the book, "I think I can, I think I can", became my potty mantra. I know it sounds really silly and strange, but having them read the book aloud helped take some of the pressure off of me to 'perform' AND the encouraging mantra seemed to help! It might be worth a try with your son! Good luck!