PDA

View Full Version : Charmin Ultra Soft

psophia17
02-18-2008, 02:43 PM
I am far too good a friend of the plunger.

DS1, at 4yo, is very suceptible to marketing. And MIL is very suceptible to DS1. So, he sees the commercial, asks her buy the Charmin Ultra Soft toilet paper, and she does. The problem really is that he apparently missed the part of the commercial where they instruct small bears to use 4 sheets/squares of Charmin Ultra Soft, instead choosing to use as long a piece as he can get away with using. Which means that an adult has to stand there, watching him, as he accumulates his Charmin Ultra Soft.

How many times, I wonder, will DH be home when DS1 decides to use a whole roll of Charmin Ultra Soft to wipe his behind? So far I've been lucky, because (thank heavens) DH feels he's an expert at unclogging toilets is all I can say. But one day, I'll be dealing with DS2, or otherwise engaged, when DS1 decides not to announce to all and sundry what he'll be doing in the bathroom once he gets there, and I'll be the one to have to deal with it.

Down with Charmin Ultra Soft!

kijip
02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Isn't all toilet paper like this? Anything on a spinney rolling bar is going to seduce preschoolers into pulling and pulling and unrolling and unrolling. Leaving Toby near the bathroom is a surefire way to not only clog the toilets but also to cause a small flood with the sink water. So I feel your pain. :p

psophia17
02-18-2008, 03:07 PM
All TP is like this, especially being a siren's call to small children, but Charmin is so thick and squishy it's like insta-clog. It also creates a thick layer of TP dust all over the bathroom, which is another BP entry entirely...I prefer the cheap stuff by a long shot, for this reason...

elizabethkott
02-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Oh, amen. I hate that stuff. Nothing does a number (pardon the pun!) on my toilet like Charmin Ultra Soft.
And of COURSE that's all DH wants to buy when he does the grocery shopping.
Grrr.

kedss
02-18-2008, 06:05 PM
I especially love when DS decides to throw the whole roll in, when we haven't managed to get it on the holder, yet. Last week we lost 3 rolls...sigh....

o_mom
02-18-2008, 06:08 PM
You need the potty training kit from Charmin - it had a cardboard ruler that you hang on the TP holder that showed exactly how much to use. I don't know if they are still making it, though. I have one somewhere around here that I got in hopes that DS1 would show some interest in wiping, but it has gone unused.

sarahsthreads
02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I especially love when DS decides to throw the whole roll in, when we haven't managed to get it on the holder, yet. Last week we lost 3 rolls...sigh....

I understand. A couple of months ago I walked in and DD was *dipping* the toilet paper roll in the bowl. (DH still hasn't learned how to put the new roll *on* the holder.) She said, "Mommy, I dipped the paper in to make it wet!" Uhhh. Yuck?

We don't use Charmin, but we do use Scott's "soft and thick" kind, which also doesn't require nearly the amount DD insists on using. DH won't let me buy cheaper TP for the bathrooms DD frequents and save the good stuff for ours though. (Won't he be sad when our huge BJs stash eventually runs out and I insist on getting the recycled TP...)

Sarah :)

MMEand1
02-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, at least he throws the TP in the toilet when he is done using it! My DH caught our DS pulling enough TP to reach him (still connected to the roll), wipe, and then leave the used TP hanging!!!!! Good thing we still monitor both DC closely when they go potty!!!!

I am fortunate that my DH and I both perfer the cheap stuff over the Expensive TP!!!
MP

MMEand1
02-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, at least he throws the TP in the toilet when he is done using it! My DH caught our DS pulling enough TP to reach him (still connected to the roll), wipe, and then leave the used TP hanging!!!!! Good thing we still monitor both DC closely when they go potty!!!!

I am fortunate that my DH and I both perfer the cheap stuff over the Expensive TP!!!
MP

niccig
02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I hate Charimin too. We usually use kirkland - soft enough and no clogs. I grabbed a 6-pack of Charmin until the next Costco run, and the toilet is really clogged, thankfully DH managed to fix it, so no plumber bill. Back to kirkland for us.

ShanaMama
02-19-2008, 03:03 AM

:hysterical: :ROTFLMAO: Too funny! I'm just imagining the sight. I think I'd have banished DD back to diapers.
To the op- I actually love Charmin. Toilet paper is just one area I can't be cheap. But I don't let DD use it. She begged me for Kandoo flushable wipes (she calls them Froggie wipes) & uses those very happily. You may want to try those. Even though they're wipes, they're not nearly as thick as the Charmin.

supercalifragilous
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
You need the potty training kit from Charmin - it had a cardboard ruler that you hang on the TP holder that showed exactly how much to use. I don't know if they are still making it, though. I have one somewhere around here that I got in hopes that DS1 would show some interest in wiping, but it has gone unused.

We got this from Charmin - I think sign-up was free online and it had the cute bears on it. DD used this for a while, but we switched to the TP with the puppies on it (you roll it following the pawprints until you get to the puppy) and that worked better.

Charmin is a notorious clogger. The Gymboree plumber said that it causes 90% of the clogs he sees b/c it doesn't disintegrate fast enough. He said Kirkland had the best TP. Not the softest in the world, but it ain't sandpaper, either. I'd much rather save myself from plunger duty!

Oh, and he said that the wipe & flush wet wipes cause tons of clogs too, so stay away from those.

ShanaMama
02-21-2008, 03:14 AM
The Gymboree plumber said that it causes 90% of the clogs he sees b/c it doesn't disintegrate fast enough.

Can I please ask what this means? You are friendly with the Gymboree plumber? I didn't even know Gymboree had a plumber on staff! Does he teach PT? Or model clothing? :jammin: Oh, the things you learn on the BBB! :shrug:

Please excuse my asking because it's 2 am and I'm here instead of asleep! :6: