PDA

View Full Version : Tricycle advice needed

reneed
02-19-2008, 02:10 AM
My almost 2 year old son has a facination with ticycles so I wanted to purchase him one with the pushbar since he is not ready to pedal on his own. Any suggestions for one that will last us until he is ready for his "big boy bike"??

rlu
02-19-2008, 02:32 AM
We have the old version of this. His is more like a "big wheel" than a sit-up tricycle. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price%C2%AE-Rock-Roll-Ride-Trike/dp/B00005UOSC

We still have the pushbar since DS likes to push the bike when he gets tired of pedaling. Actually, need to see if we can remove the pushbar.

In any case, we have gotten a lot of use out of it.

ellies mom
02-19-2008, 03:18 AM
We bought a Kettler. In all honesty though, I wish we had just bought a series of the Radio Flyer Fold and Go's with the push bar instead. DD had no problem riding the Radio Flyer all over the store but I think the Kettler was just too heavy. For the amount we spent, she could have have worn several Radio Flyers into the ground and still came out ahead. Hopefully this next child will get more use out of it.

There is another version of the Kettler (made by the same people) whose name is escaping me right now, but I'm sure some one will mention. I'm pretty certain Beth (Brittone) has one. You may find it has more value for the money. We didn't get one because at the time, they didn't sell any local and having it shipped to our house brought the price right up to the Kettler. Now we can buy them local so I would definitely consider.

brittone2
02-19-2008, 10:06 AM
As the PP said, we have the Kiddio Supertrike 4. I'm not sure if it is still made. The availability over the past year or two seems spotty at best. The Kiddios are made by Kettler (our air tires actually say Kettler right on them). Ours was under $100 and included a push bar, air tires, dump bucket, and seatbelt. There was no autofreewheel or parent steering lockout, but that wasn't a problem for DS, and he got his for his 2nd bday. Air tires on a Kettler will set you back substantially more. We wanted air tires because we have a longish gravel driveway.

The trike was a great combo of price to quality for us. I don't know much about the other Kiddio models but we have been very happy w/ the Supertrike 4 model.

anamika
02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
We bought a Kettler. In all honesty though, I wish we had just bought a series of the Radio Flyer Fold and Go's with the push bar instead. DD had no problem riding the Radio Flyer all over the store but I think the Kettler was just too heavy. For the amount we spent, she could have have worn several Radio Flyers into the ground and still came out ahead. Hopefully this next child will get more use out of it.

:yeahthat:
My DD is 3 and petite and still can't ride the $%#%$#%^ Kettler. I have had it since she was two and I keep hoping she will grow into it! At this rate she'll be ready for a bike before she can ride a Kettler. We have the mis-named Happy Navigator.
Sorry - I'm just a little bitter about it!

sdbc
02-19-2008, 08:51 PM
we got a Kettler when DD was just under 2. She was never able to ride that thing, but could ride the cheap-o tricycles at preschool, no problem. Now she just rides a bike with training wheels and has since she was about 3.25 y/o.

Luckily we got the Kettler used and sold it for the same as we bought it for. :)

reneed
02-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I can't thank everyone enough for the info - I was going to spring for the kettler but based on your info I would rather grab him a radio flyer and spend the extra on something else! THANK YOU!!

Karenn
02-19-2008, 11:50 PM
We have two kiddi-o trikes and have been happy with both of them. We have a Supertrike 2 and something else that looks similar in size to what amazon is calling the "fold n ride." http://www.amazon.com/Kiddi-O-Fold-Ride-Tricycle-Pink/dp/B000EDROP2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1203478645&sr=1-1

I think the fold and ride would fit a 2 year old better. My DD has been riding ours since before she turned 3. She wasn't able to ride the Supertrike 2 when she was 2. We haven't tried it in a while so I'm not sure if she could do it now at almost 3 1/2. My 5 year old can still ride both of them but prefers the Supertrike 2. He usually rides his big boy bike though.

ellies mom
02-20-2008, 01:12 AM
I can't thank everyone enough for the info - I was going to spring for the kettler but based on your info I would rather grab him a radio flyer and spend the extra on something else! THANK YOU!!

I don't know that I would buy the fancier Radio Flyer with the push bar (the one that actually lets the parent steer) because I've heard that it can strip out the steering for the trike.

citymama
03-01-2008, 09:30 PM

Hey Reneed, Did you end up getting the Radio Flyer? My DD rode on one (Steer and Stroll or something like that) at the playground, and it was SO easy to steer her around! The people who owned it said they'd had it 2 years and no tip-overs. It costs less than half of even the low-end (Blossom) Kettlers, so we may go this route as well. Just curious how you liked it!

katydid1971
03-01-2008, 10:23 PM
This is a great post. I was feeling guilty because I was going to buy DS a Radio Flyer for his birthday instead of a Kettler because I just couldn't justify the $$$$$. Which radio Flyer do people like. I have heard not to buy the super cute retro one like I had because it tips over (although I don't remember ever having mine tip over on me). He'll be turning three so I don't think I'll need the handle.

ellies mom
03-02-2008, 02:23 AM
This is a great post. I was feeling guilty because I was going to buy DS a Radio Flyer for his birthday instead of a Kettler because I just couldn't justify the $$$$$. Which radio Flyer do people like. I have heard not to buy the super cute retro one like I had because it tips over (although I don't remember ever having mine tip over on me). He'll be turning three so I don't think I'll need the handle.

Quite honestly, I'd just buy the Fold n Go at Fred Meyers. As I said earlier, DD rode the thing all over their aisles.

reneed
03-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I did purchase that one (radio flyer push and steer) but I haven't put it together yet! I will keep you posted as to how it goes

1964pandora
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
We hate our top-of-the-line Ketter Air Navigator too. I just had to have it, and it has been totally useless to us other than being gorgeous. LOL.

:yeahthat:
My DD is 3 and petite and still can't ride the $%#%$#%^ Kettler. I have had it since she was two and I keep hoping she will grow into it! At this rate she'll be ready for a bike before she can ride a Kettler. We have the mis-named Happy Navigator.
Sorry - I'm just a little bitter about it!

citymama
03-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I did purchase that one (radio flyer push and steer) but I haven't put it together yet! I will keep you posted as to how it goes

Renee - so how's the steer and stroll is working out for you...and more importantly for your son! Is it high off-the-ground for him? I know the steering system is a amazing for parents, but have heard it's not as great for kids when learning to pedal by themselves. Still, it's selling for $44 at Target and seems like a deal!

KrystalS
03-19-2008, 03:21 PM

Same here, definitely would not recommend the Kettler. DD is 4 and can just now actual pedal it, but shes way too tall for it now. Her knees hit the handlebars.

citymama
03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Same here, definitely would not recommend the Kettler. DD is 4 and can just now actual pedal it, but shes way too tall for it now. Her knees hit the handlebars.

Krystal - what kind of Kettler do you have? That sounds like a drag, considering the price of the trike!

jessicallyn
03-22-2008, 01:53 PM
We bought a Kettler Jumbo for our good-sized oldest son 6 years ago. He used it from age 2 - 5 1/2. Then his younger brother needed a tricycle before oldest DS was done, so 2nd DS got one too.

After 3 1/2 years with oldest DS, his Jumbo went to our friend's toddler for 3 years. 2nd DS's Kettler is now being used by his 2 year old little sister - she hasn't gotten the knack of peddling, but we push her along w/ the pushbar.

So each one of our Kettlers is lasting through at least 2 children's uses. I don't think I paid more than $80 for each, so it was worth the money. I love the very low center of gravity - it's almost impossible to tip one over. And
I understand that the newer Kettlers have better pushbar steering than ours.

I would say if you think age-wise you can re-use 1 tricycle for more than 1 child, a Kettler is a great buy. Excellent quality and a child-safe design.

good luck,
Jess

citymama
03-24-2008, 02:55 AM
We bought a Kettler Jumbo for our good-sized oldest son 6 years ago. So each one of our Kettlers is lasting through at least 2 children's uses. I don't think I paid more than $80 for each, so it was worth the money. I love the very low center of gravity - it's almost impossible to tip one over. And I understand that the newer Kettlers have better pushbar steering than ours.

I would say if you think age-wise you can re-use 1 tricycle for more than 1 child, a Kettler is a great buy. Excellent quality and a child-safe design.

Thank you Jess! I'm delighted to hear that as I just purchased a Kettler Jumbo - second-hand, but looks brand-new - for $50. It looks indestructible! My 2 year old can get her feet on the pedals but is not quite able to pedal yet - but she loves putting on her helmet and getting pushed to the playground! Hopefully we'll get a lot of use out of this trike. Great to know it worked for you!

MarisaSF
03-24-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm really surprised how many people are disappointed with their Kettlers. I have no complaints about our Air Navigator and have definitely gotten a lot of use out of it! We got it a bit early for DD (1.5) when she couldn't reach the pedals, but the parent steering is so easy. One great thing about it, which I am just now appreciating, is that the Air Nav is very quiet. DH and I can't hear each other speak above the din from DS's little push car thing with its plastic wheels.

I think the features of the Air Nav are awesome for a kid who can "grow into" it. The steering lockout was great. DD was able to learn to pedal first as we steered and now she steers and pedals. We've kept the parent bar on it for safety through hilly walks. We use it for very long walks through our sidewalked neighborhood. We still use the steering lock for when DD wants to walk so we can push the trike easily. Soon she will outgrow it and then DS will use it and I see it lasting through several more children (we will give it to friends/family).

I'm sure the other trikes are great too, but I've been impressed with Kettler. I'd say the best feature for me is the air tires.

citymama
03-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm really surprised how many people are disappointed with their Kettlers. I'm sure the other trikes are great too, but I've been impressed with Kettler.

The negative reviews almost turned me away from Kettler but personal experience on our playground convinced me to go with Kettler anyway. We've had our Kettler trike just a few days, but it's immediately obvious that this is a quality purchase that will last a long time (which explains why it comes with a lifetime guarantee!). As other threads on this board can attest, I spent a long time deciding between trikes - we are on a tight budget. I think the major downside is cost - we got our Jumbo used for $50, which brought it within our budget, but I could not have justified spending $200 on a trike. For people in cities (like me), whose kids spend their trike time on playgrounds and sidewalks, you really need the rugged, non-tippy, smooth-riding Kettler. This is why I decided against the Radio Flyer despite all the positive reccs and the $40 sale price at Target. When you're pushing your kid across the street at a busy intersection, you really don't want her trike to tip over or the parent-steering bar to strip out the pedals, as RFs are prone to doing. But I can see how, if your kid is mainly in a suburban backyard, you don't really need a Kettler - you need something they can race around the backyard in. I guess that might explain the difference in opinions?

bluestar2
03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I think you'll like your Jumbo (great deal BTW!).

LBW
03-26-2008, 09:01 AM
We have a Kettler and have loved it. DS2 is now using it, and DS3 will use it when he's older. But, it is heavy, and DS1 had a hard time pedaling it on his own until he was older. The pushbar really came in handy.

DS1's old preschool had Alutrikes. If I had known about them before buying the Kettler I definitely would have bought one instead. They are soooo light and easy to pedal. I've never actually seen one in a store, though, and have seen very few online, so they may be hard to track down. His preschool had both the single and double versions.

http://www.ita-educational.com/italtrike/alutrike.php