PDA

View Full Version : Ladybugs

rebeccaravit
02-19-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm fairly positive that there has to be a nest of ladybugs in the walls by my sons bedroom. Whenever it's a sunny day, they find their way inside through a gap in the window frame and crawl around his window. Each day there are so many finding their way in that I've resorted to keeping the vacuum cleaner upstairs and plugged in so that I can just suck them up. I must have gotten over 20 today.

Is there something that I can spray into the gaps of the window frame to get rid of them? Something non-toxic considering it's my son's bedroom?

Eventually I will like to caulk in the gaps, but first I'd like to get rid of whatevers back there so that they can't just find another crack to crawl through.

bubbaray
02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, I wouldn't kill them -- I would catch them and put them in your garden. Or, you could sell them to gardeners (not kidding). They are a natural pest repellent.

Not to mention, they are good luck! :)

schums
02-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Depends on the "type" of ladybug. There are some Japanese beetles that look like ladybugs, but aren't. Not sure if they kill other bugs or not, but they do bite humans. We gets tons of them here in MI. They tend to nest behind the siding. Not sure what you can do to get rid of them, but I would keep vacuuming them up, especially in a kid's room.

GL,

Joolsplus2
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
We have little orange ones in our bathroom that only come out when the heater's on during winter...I thought they were cute until one bit me on the bum while I was showering!:ROTFLMAO: (it was more like a sharp pinch, the pain wasn't bad and didn't last long)
I like that vacuuming idea, if catching them to take them outside really is too hard...I'm not sure what bugspray would work, maybe there's something relatively safe they could direct you to at the local Home Depot or similar store?

:)

bubbaray
02-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Depends on the "type" of ladybug. There are some Japanese beetles that look like ladybugs, but aren't. Not sure if they kill other bugs or not, but they do bite humans. We gets tons of them here in MI. They tend to nest behind the siding. Not sure what you can do to get rid of them, but I would keep vacuuming them up, especially in a kid's room.

GL,

Ewww. OK, I know nothing about what you are talking about. Ewwww.

The ladybugs i'm talking about are red with black dots. They don't bite.

Ewwww.

schums
02-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah, we have regular ladybugs too. But then there's the others (ladybird beetles), that are almost indistinguishable (sp?) from regular ladybugs! Here's a pic I found. These are ALL ladybird beetles.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s84/schums/ladybirdbeetle.jpg

rebeccaravit
02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Good to know that there are different types of bugs/beetles and that I'm not the only one w/ this problem. Honestly, we would take them outside if not for the sheer number of them coming in ALL day long and if not for the fact that they would just come back in again if there is a nest. Guess I just have to keep sucking them up.

Momof3Labs
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Bay leaves!!

Go to your grocery store's dried spice aisle, and buy a bottle of bay leaves. Leave some on the windowsill, in the gaps, or where ever you can tuck them (in areas where you see the beetles). You don't need a ton.

Then, put away the vacuum. They won't bother you any more.

rebeccaravit
02-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Bay leaves!!

Go to your grocery store's dried spice aisle, and buy a bottle of bay leaves. Leave some on the windowsill, in the gaps, or where ever you can tuck them (in areas where you see the beetles). You don't need a ton.

Then, put away the vacuum. They won't bother you any more.

How long do I keep them there? I want to try this today!

bubbaray
02-19-2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm

scroll down for this:
Q. How can I get them out of my house?
A. If you don't have a lot, just leave them. They will leave when spring arrives. Disturbing them will only cause them to stress out leaving yellow markings on your walls. The yellow stuff, you see, is not waste matter, but rather, their blood. Ladybugs release a small amount of their blood which is yellow and smells, when they sense danger. Some people have said that it does stain on light colored surfaces.

Q. But, I really want the ladybugs out of my house!
A. Use a "shop vacuum". This type of vacuum is easy to use for collect ladybugs. When using this to vacuum up ladybugs, use a clean bag or pad the bottom with a cloth. After all is clean, release the unwelcome guests outside.

Q. Is there anything else I can use to get the ladybugs out of my house?
A. Yes. There is a product called a Ladybug Black Light Trap. It uses radiating black light to attract and contain the ladybugs.

The bay leaves sounds promising, though....

Momof3Labs
02-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Keep them there as long as the bugs are an issue. If you remove them and the bugs are still around, they will come right back in. It's as if the bugs avoid the leaves only while they are there - they may stay in your wall, but they won't come into the house through that window area.

I was truly amazed at how well it worked at our old house (we haven't had ladybug issues yet at this house)!

Clarity
02-19-2008, 04:49 PM
My first thought when I read the suggestion about bay leaves is to ask if they will be in reach of your children. I choked on a bay leaf when I was younger, say 10ish? (I liked to pick them out of our pasta sauce and suck on them...well, I choked. My father never let me have another bay leaf.) Just saying, use caution with little ones who put things in their mouths.

edited typo

npace19147
02-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Does anyone know if the bay leaves will work on the beetles as well as the ladybugs?

Unfortunately I think we have the beetle variety, looking at the picture, yuck!!! And they are in the kids' room as well. Mostly been hibernating over the winter but don't want to deal with bites once the weather warms up.

Momof3Labs
02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if the bay leaves will work on the beetles as well as the ladybugs?

Unfortunately I think we have the beetle variety, looking at the picture, yuck!!! And they are in the kids' room as well. Mostly been hibernating over the winter but don't want to deal with bites once the weather warms up.

I think that it does; we probably had the beetles instead of ladybugs but it was several years ago. It can't hurt to try it, right?

Melanie
02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
If it's a 'strong scent' aversion theory with the bay leaves (I have no idea), and you're worried about choking (though you could just break them up smaller) you could also try lavendar or cinnamon sticks. Cinnamon sticks seem to work with ants and lavendar with moths.

tiapam
02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I just googled this because I had this vague recollection that bay leaves should not be eaten. They are not poisonous, but could be unpleasant or a choking hazard if one of your DC should take an interest in it. So just be careful.