PDA

View Full Version : OT - ideas for clips etc for long hair?

anamika
02-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Mine - not DD LOL. I've been growing my hair out since I thought I would start wearing it curly and not flat-iron each time. But I'm still debating whether to just cut it short and flat-iron or wear it long and curly. I still haven't decided. In the meantime, my hair has grown long and all I do is wear it up with the big jaw clips. Every.single.day!! Seriously, I have one clip and I joke to my husband that if DD ever hid my clip, I wouldn't be able to leave home!

Any other ideas for wearing long hair up? I saw these

http://www.trashties.com/gallery.html#

and I saw someone with a really nice metal spiral clip (which wound around the hair and made a bun) which I need to track down.
Does anybody have the trash ties? Do they work?

Any other suggestions? Of course, it has to be easy too (eyerolling smiley here!) or we'd never make it anywhere half an hour late, like we usually do:hysterical:

Thanks,

MontrealMum
02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
JCrew makes some really nice ponytail holders and barrettes. And they are guaranteed if they break. Besides my ancient jaw clips (which are for inside use only!), that's all I use.

Marisa6826
02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
That thing looks VERY cool.

Honestly, I love my France Luxe barrettes. They're not cheap (about $12-14 for the ones I have, but they can go upwards of $40 if you go super fancy), but are worth every penny - I only have two. I get them at Nordstrom. They're pretty understated looking, well made, don't slip out. I have long (past my bra strap) thick wavy hair, and I can fit it all in one barrette for a kind of pony tail, and the same barrette will also let me do just a half up/half down thing - which isn't the case with the cheapo Goody barrettes from Target.

http://www.franceluxe.com/c/franceluxe_rectangle_barrettes/France+Luxe+Rectangle.html

Also, I have a couple Ficcare clips when I want to do a French twist. These ones also aren't inexpensive (about $30), but they are the only ones that I have found that absolutely, positively will NOT fall out of your hair no matter what AND they don't hurt. You can seriously shake your head like a maniac, and the thing doesn't come out - but at the same time, it doesn't feel like your hair is being held up at all (or give you a migraine). If you're familiar with trying to have both of these things accomplished simultaneously, you know what a major accomplishment that is.

I bought mine at Nordstrom (they have a *very* limited selection), but I see them on eBay all the time.

I have two of them. They're both Maximas ones - and I have the Large size (definitely go try the different sizes at Nordy's regardless of where you buy them so you get the idea of how big they are, because the website is really deceptive).

http://www.ficcare.com/Products.aspx?collId=2

The rest of the time, I use plain brown/auburn ponytail holders, or small jaw holders to pull back part of my hair. I found them in soft gold/auburn/celery combinations a few months ago at Target. They are held together on the inside with a ponytail holder, so even if they get pulled too far apart, they spring back.

HTH

-m

momtoonegirl
02-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I second the Ficcare clips. I bought mine at Nordstrom as well. Like the PP said, your hair is securely held without being uncomfortable.

npace19147
02-19-2008, 09:43 PM
I am in the same position - growing my hair out and working on having it keep a curl, which is sort of challenging for me - my hair is more wavy with some curl than straight up curly. Right now it's at the point where I can't do much of anything with it.

Headbands are my best friends right now, mostly the fabric variety like this:

http://www.curlmart.com/-This-Is-J-Headband-Abstract-Batik-Dusty-Rose-p-700.html

I have a bunch of the metal/plastic variety headband and they give me a headache, even the expensive ones that aren't supposed to. :( I sort of have enough hair now for an updo if I fuss with it and use a lot of bobby pins, but who has that kind of time? Those trash ties looks pretty cool, curious to hear if anyone has used them. Thanks for the link!

Glizmo
02-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I currently have waist-length wavy/sometimes curly hair (that I'm thinking of cutting "short" - mid-back -before baby comes :) ). I'm loving the ideas others have, I always like to try new things with my hair!

One of my favorite hair accessories is a three-pronged hair stick found here:
http://www.morganreed.net/hairsticks.html

I like theirs better than cheaper plastic ones I've tried since the wood is very smooth and doesn't have any plastic edges to get caught in hair. It holds hair pretty securely without pulling. The company stands by their products too, I had a hairstick that cracked and they replaced it free of charge (without needing to return the old one). There's a lot more you can do with it than the examples they show on the website, it's fun to play around!

That said, I've been quite lazy since getting pregnant and often find myself just doing a quick braid and being done with it :)

anamika
02-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the ideas.
Oooohhh, tell me more about the Ficcare clips! I like the styles they show in the videos. Are they easy to do? And do you need different sizes of the clips??
I just quickly glanced at the wooden clips. Off to research more.

Marisa6826
02-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas.
Oooohhh, tell me more about the Ficcare clips! I like the styles they show in the videos. Are they easy to do? And do you need different sizes of the clips??

The ones I have are both large sized ones, though I could probably get away with a 'medium' size. They are probably about 3-4" long and maybe 1/2" wide at their widest point. They're concave, so they form to your head.

You just kind of twist your hair up however and slide the Ficcare in against your head with the clip opened like a beak, putting your hair 'in' the beak part. It closes around your hair, holding it there.

It's got some weight to it, but it doesn't pull away from your head at all, and as I said, it doesn't hurt but at the same time, your hair never falls down. It's some sort of nifty feat of engineering.

Nordstrom has a small selection of them over by their scarves and sunglasses display. They will let you try them out if you ask.

They do make little ones that you can kind of use as barrettes, but since I'm not a little barrette-type of person, I've never bothered to play around with them.

Be careful if you buy them online, since there are a lot of 'fake-arres' out there, and I've heard that the springs in them break pretty easily (I originally found out about the clips by lurking on a site called the Long Hair Community when I was looking for ideas on different ways to put my hair up other than a braid or a ponytail).

The two that I have are pretty classic in colour - one is a tortoise shell and the other is a kind of bronzy/gold colour. Neutral, but pretty at the same time. I don't think I would spend the bucks on anything trendy, kwim?

BTW, I can't stop thinking about those trash tie things... ;)

HTH

-m

momtoonegirl
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

I have below the shoulder thick wavy hair and I also use the large Ficcare clips. I use it primarily to keep my hair in a ponytail, but have used it also to twist my hair up in a mini-bun as well. I have found them easy to use. The thing I like is that you aren't constantly adjusting the clip, because it pretty much stays fixed wherever you clip it. I tried on different sizes in the store and the large ones were the best fit for how I wear my hair.

HTH :)