PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a vaporizer?

downwarddog
02-19-2008, 05:08 PM
My ped recommended we get a cool-mist vaporizer instead of a humidifier (puts more moisture into the air, i think). I bought one at WalMart (Redi-On brand) but its fan is too loud.

Anyone have a quiet one they can recommend to me?

Is there really a difference between a hum. and a vapor.? We have some old Brookstone ultrasonic humidifiers but I remember that they leave that awful white dust everywhere!

Thanks!

almostsane
02-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I can't recommend which one to buy, but I can tell you NOT TO BUY a supersonic one with the cylinder in the middle. Here is an example:

http://www.target.com/Vicks-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-V-5100-N/dp/B000ILHMY8/sr=1-7/qid=1203544877/ref=sr_1_7/602-9694986-3992607?ie=UTF8&pricerange=&index=&rh=k%3Ahumidifiers%5Fsafety&page=2

We bought one similar to the one above for DS, at the suggestion of the pediatrician. I cleaned it just as recommended, used all of the extras they recommended and still wound up with mildew/mold growing inside the cylinder. There is no way to get to that part of the machine to clean it and that is the part that the moisture is flowing through. I also checked with consumer reports and found that to be a common problem. If I were you, I would go to consumer reports and look for their recommendation. We ended up with a good old fashion Vicks Vaporizer for $13 at Wal-Mart. Easy to clean and use and a LOT cheaper than the first that we bought. HTH.