PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for front loading washing machine

marit
02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
The title says it all...

I have been renting my house for a long time, and it just occurred to me that this is not a good enough reason to be stuck with a washing machine I hate...

In other words, if I want a new washing machine it doesn't mean I have to buy a $1M house to get it (silicon valley blues...)

kellij
02-19-2008, 06:08 PM
I HEART my LG. It's from Home Depot. They usually have a promotion going on, or they might honor a Lowe's moving coupon.

tylersmama
02-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I've had the Kenmore HE3 for about 5 years now and have been totally happy with it. We cloth diaper, and it gets the dipes nice and clean and fresh-smelling. It also gets the rest of our clothes cleaner than our old top loader did.

Whirlpool makes the Kenmore washing machines. Sears frequently has deals to get 10 or even 15% off (may have to open a Sears card, but might be worth it!).

trales
02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
My LG is my best friend. We cloth diaper, and I love it more everyday.

schums
02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
We have a Bosch Nexxt and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I seriously don't know how I did laundry without it. Our clothes are SOOOO much cleaner now, and they don't get as beat up as with our old top loader. Plus, I can jam my large comforters in there, and they get really clean too. Way better than going to the laundramat every time someone is sick!

Marisa6826
02-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Another Kenmore HE3T lover here. It's about 4 years old. No problems at all.

There are a bunch of threads about them. Do an advanced search in Around the House.

-m

Twin Mom
02-19-2008, 10:40 PM
LG fan here. I also love using the Dropps detergent.

DrSally
02-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I had a similar post a while ago and got many recommendations. I ultimately bought the LG from best buy, who matched home depot's price and the Lowes 10% coupon, so it was about $1200 for the pair, $1500 with accessories and installation. So far I've been happy, but can't speak to durability yet. I also considered frigidaire, as they seem to have good value for the $

marit
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
What is the Lowe's 10% coupon everyone is talking about, and how can I put my hands on it?

kijip
02-21-2008, 12:50 AM
We have a Kenmore HE2t. The 3t and 5t were too large for our space (which is a closet in our bathroom on the third floor). I don't know if it is true or not but we were advised that since it was on the 3rd floor, the 2t was a better choice due to vibration and shaking if your hook ups are off the ground level, you might want to consider that. We would have purchased the 5t (which is the most efficient) but it just would not fit well and we had the 3rd floor thing to think about since that is where the hookups were. The 2t is actually more water efficient than the 3t- the 2t was eligible for the same water wise rebate as the 5t, but the 3t was eligible for a partial rebate. Remember that your utility company may have a rebate program to offset some of the cost. We got $100 or $125 back (can't remember).

We have been very happy with the 2t as have our friends that have had the same machine for a year longer than us. Clothes, including cloth diapers and wipes come out well.

We are happy with the matching dryer as well.

Costco often has Whirlpool Duets, which are the same as the Kenmores.

For sales, Sears usually has a 10 or 20% off if you put it on the Sears account (then just pay it off right away after the first bill comes). Free delivery, but only after rebate which was a PITA! They owed us 2 rebates of appliance delivery and I think it took about 4-5 months for the checks to arrive. Meaning I was spending a June purchase's rebate on holiday presents. Slllloooowww.

cellenly
02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I must have bad HE_T karma. I'm on my 2nd. Both have had the dreadful F11 errors. The 1st washer's (HE3T) F11 error wasn't fatal & only occured sporadically, but w/ my 2nd HE4T which is only 18 mo old, it died. Do a search on the web for F11 error for he3t or he4t and you'll find tonz of hits.

So despite my 1st bad experience why did I let my mother buy the he5t? Basically, I was guessing that the LG is too new to have tonz of stuff go wrong w/ it yet (from what i recall the LG was brand new about 2 years ago? -- don't quote me on that). when the kenmore works, i love it. maybe it's just me & that i overdo the sanitary function b/c basically heat + electronics are a horrible combination. If something goes wrong, i can buy the sears warranty on the back end and it's almost the same as buying the electronic motherboard part from sears so i figure i'll just do that.

i just wanted you to know that it's an existing problem. i read on the web that there's rumblings of a possible class axn suit about the machines.

marit
02-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Thank you for the warning, and thanks everyone else for your recommendations.

I now understand that I have to choose a machine by my space limitations. I am thinking of mounting my old dryer on top of the new machine, that would give me more room. I am just not sure I can do that. I guess I just have to go to Sears and talk to someone about it...