PDA

View Full Version : Books on Twins

Kindra178
02-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Can anyone recommend books on twins? I already have one ds, so I don't need basic baby care information, but I am looking for info on tandem nursing, baths, emotional development, etc. Thanks in advance.

fivi2
02-20-2008, 03:09 PM
This one is my absolute favorite (Twins: a practical guide... by Bowman and Ryan):
http://www.amazon.com/Twins-Practical-Parenting-Multiples-Conception/dp/1741146534/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203534206&sr=8-14

It is Australian, so some of the advice is different, but I felt like it was the most realistic.

Ready Or Not, Here We Come, by Elizabeth Lyons is a cute/funny one. I think she has a toddler one now, but haven't read it.

Mothering Multiples is good (I forget the author, but I think it is a La Leche League book?)

I have many others, but didn't find them very useful. And, I really haven't found much that is useful for issues that arise after the first year. My girls are two now, and many issues have come up that the books don't really seem to address.
Hope those help!

gatorsmom
02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
When You are Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads by Dr. Barbara Luke. Many mothers of multiples recommended this book for me. It was the only book I read while I was pregnant. The entire goal of the book is to help you have an uneventful, healthy, multiples pregnancy and healthy, full-term twins. I can't praise it enough.

jacksmom0902
02-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks so much for the book recommendations. I can't wait to check some of these out. The only one my local B&N had was Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble.

Karla

fivi2
02-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks so much for the book recommendations. I can't wait to check some of these out. The only one my local B&N had was Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble.

Karla

Some people loved that book (the Noble one), but my dh had to take it away from me and hide it after walking in on me sobbing too many times. I found it very doom and gloom about all the things that could go wrong. But, as I said, some love it - so ymmv!

gatorsmom
02-23-2008, 10:16 PM
The only one my local B&N had was Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble.

Karla

I bought that book without reading it and when I started to read it, I couldn't believe the garbage the author had in there. I didn't need poor advice that contradicts my doctors' recommendations for lots of rest, "Carrying twins means making a double effort to stay in shape." Oh and I certainly didn't need judgmental chapters about how circumcision is mutilation. i actually threw the book in the trash because i couldn't in good conscience pass that on to someone else. Then I bought the Barbara Luke book. Wish I'd bought that first.

jacksmom0902
02-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm glad some others didn't care for the Noble book either. It was, unfortunately, the one I was reading while down and out with nausea and I knew it wasn't for me when she started talking about circumcision and bringing your whole son home. I will definitely go in search of the Barbara Luke book.

Karla

LaCostaMom
02-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Edited to re-write my response:

I have the Barbara Luke Twins book - it wasn't helpful to me (as I am diabetic & her nutrition recs don't work for me) but I know others swear by her book.

I've also read Twins! Pregnancy, Birth and the First Year of Life by Connie Agnew, Alan Klein, Jill Alison Ganon - it's ok - a little more general than I really wanted on details.

I'm currently reading The Multiples Manual by Lynn Lorenz and have found some good tips in there. I also received as gifts 2 of her twins baby book: Twice Upon a Time: Twins Baby Memories. I haven't written anything in it yet but I love its format.

I also am getting ready to start Twinspiration by Cheryl Lage which is highly recommended by twin moms.

HTH!