PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay a young mother's helper?

kijip
02-20-2008, 12:08 PM
So here is the deal. I need some time every other Saturday to read for my class and do a little cleaning. I can do a little of that with Toby underfoot but not as much as he gets older. I have a fear of bad babysitters and when we do have a non-family sitter, I hire an adult, never a teen, and pay between $12-18/hour. I don't need a sitter like that so I can read for a few hours or clean. I have found a young boy via a friend that is willing to come over and play with Toby for a few hours every other Saturday. His mom and I are thinking like 10AM through 1PM or thereabouts. I will never leave the boy alone in the house with Toby and I will make lunch for both of them. The boy is just now old enough that his parents leave him alone at home when they go out, 12. So not a babysitter or experienced in the least but he is responsible and I will never be leaving the house. My thinking is that they can play in the yard, and I will be largely in earshot or they can read or do stuff in Toby's room while I am reading at my desk. Helper is not expected to clean or prepare food or anything like that. I was thinking like $4-5/hour. Is that fair?

With J working F-Su every week, I am at a loss for a little needed reading time. I am done with school in June, but even after that the arrangement could be advantageous since I write for much of my living and could spend the time doing that or just cleaning. And if it works out well, this could be a very good thing for Toby to have an older boy role model.

hellokitty
02-20-2008, 12:18 PM
I think $4-$5 sounds fair. I'm assuming he's just going to eat lunch at your place too, right?

ThreeofUs
02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
I'd start him out at about 1/2 of what I'd pay a more experienced, older mom's helper, but then I'd raise it $1 or so if things work out. For me, that would be $5 to start and $6 after a few months.

But I'm a softie! :)

I'd also establish clear expectations with him, and go over how things are going frequently. But I'm sure you've got that covered...

ha98ed14
02-20-2008, 12:59 PM
For a 12 year old, I like $5 is perfect. A nice round number. DH's nephew is 12 and has 3 younger sibs. I know he would love it if his parents paid him to look after the little ones (3 yo and 10 mos.) which he ends up doing a lot anyway when his mom is home. (They don't leave him home alone with the babies.)

JBaxter
02-20-2008, 01:41 PM
5 sounds good. If he does a particularlly good job then give a few extra$$ as a bonus.

maylips
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
I would agree that $5 is good -- and I'm guessing "providing lunch" isn't a big thing for him, more for his mom. :) At age 12, he probably just has that expectation of food being available for him and won't consider it a job perk. Now, if you have lots of junky snacks... :)

kijip
02-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I would agree that $5 is good -- and I'm guessing "providing lunch" isn't a big thing for him, more for his mom. :) At age 12, he probably just has that expectation of food being available for him and won't consider it a job perk. Now, if you have lots of junky snacks... :)

Oh he is going to hate my house if he is looking for junk food- carrot muffins, apples, cheese. That is about as exciting as it gets. Lunch will be sandwiches, fruit and cookies, LOL.

I think $5 is good, rounding up on hours to give him a few extra dollars.