PDA

View Full Version : UV window film for playroom?

Ceepa
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Is there such a thing as window film that has UV protection built into it? I just made a new playroom for DC in a room that has a lot of windows. I would like to have the windows uncovered during the day (i.e., open the curtains) because it seems cheerier but I would like to add some UV protection to the windows, too.

Ideas? Thanks.

hellokitty
02-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Creepa,

Yes, we do use a u/v film on our windows in our sunroom (the playroom). We only have it on one side of the windows, b/c that is where the evening sun in the summer beats down on the room and makes it broiling hot. We didn't put it on the side with the morning sun, b/c usually the room is very cool in the morning, so we need that extra sunlight and the other side facing out doesn't get any direct sunlight at all.

My DH got the u/v film at lowe's I think. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't crazy expensive. I do not know what the brand name was (we put it on about 4 yrs ago and it still looks good), but I am sure that if you go to lowe's they will tell you where to look for them. It comes with a kit and it was pretty easy to do. However, you need two ppl to do it, b/c you kind of have to peel the paper (like contact paper) and it will stick to itself unless you have an extra person helping you to hold the film so it stays flat and unwrinkled to be applied onto the window.

s7714
02-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, I've seen it at a lot of home improvement stores and in mail order catalogs.

FWIW, there are also professional companies that do UV window tinting on home windows, just like car windows only without the major tint. We had all the windows in our house, expect a couple really little ones, done shortly after moving in. I can totally tell the difference now between the windows that were done and the little ones (in a bathroom and laundry room) that weren't. The curtains and blinds on those with the UV film are still in perfect condition. The curtains and blinds that were on the non-coated windows have faded really badly to the point they need to be replaced. The companies will usually do only a few windows if that's all you want, but all the ones we got quotes from did have a minimum $ amount you had to meet (or exceed).

Ceepa
02-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. We'll first check out our local home improvement stores and go from there. I'm a little nutty about DC and sun exposure.

-Ceepa