PDA

View Full Version : OT - gas or elec water heater?

Twoboos
02-21-2008, 01:51 PM
So, we just discovered our water heater has been leaking all over the place. It's under warrenty (6 year warrenty, it's been 5yr 10mos - whew), but we can't get a new one for a WEEK. blech.

We have the option of coverting from gas to electric to get a heater sooner. DH seems to think this will send our elec bill soaring, although I can't imagine it would be *that* much.

Anyone have insight into gas vs. elec hot water heaters??
TIA!

ETA: I should have added, it's not just gas, it's propane. Yes, propane. Like you use on your grill, except we heat our whole house with it. The original owner was a NUT. so we've got nothin' when the power goes out...

supercalifragilous
02-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Have you considered a gas tankless water heater? DH has been drooling over one recently but our gas water tank was an easy fix (unfortunately for him). They're pretty pricey, but I think they save $$ in the long run.

pb&j
02-21-2008, 03:50 PM
GAS!! Gas all the way. It's more efficient, and heats more quickly. I will never go back to an electric hot water heater. And another bonus - it doesn't go out when the power does.

Corie
02-21-2008, 04:08 PM
GAS!! Gas all the way. It's more efficient, and heats more quickly. I will never go back to an electric hot water heater. And another bonus - it doesn't go out when the power does.

I completely agree with Ry! We've got gas and I love it!

katydid1971
02-21-2008, 04:21 PM
ETA: I should have added, it's not just gas, it's propane. Yes, propane. Like you use on your grill, except we heat our whole house with it. The original owner was a NUT. so we've got nothin' when the power goes out...

Was Hank Hill the previous owner by any chance?!?!

I have to agree with all the PP gas over electric but if possible try to get a tankless water heater. If ours ever goes out we're going tankless.

DrSally
02-21-2008, 04:51 PM

I've heard this too. That's part of the reason we got a gas clothes dryer instead of electric, it's supposed to be more efficient.

Twoboos
02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
OK so after researching and calling around we (well, mainly dh) decided to have the manufacturer replace the one under warrenty. Which sounds all well and good, except that it will take a week to ship out one of these odd-ball propane fired ones.

Yep, a week, no hot water. Not for dishes or washing hands or showering or ANYTHING. Good call, dh. I'm pretty sure this will end up being grounds for divorce. :32:

I will personally be abusing the environment with disposable paper goods and takeout for the next week.

moving any more of my commentary to bitching post....

wolverine2
02-21-2008, 08:21 PM
I feel your pain. I just went without a fridge for a week while DH ordered a part to save money. No hot water sounds worse...

DrSally
02-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Did you at least have somewhere to go to shower? That would be the worst part for me.