PDA

View Full Version : My dog just snapped at DD. what to do?

elektra
02-21-2008, 11:44 PM
So my dog Elektra (yes my username is actually my dog's name) was sitting on the couch in her designated spot. DD has started cruising and so she was going along the couch and stopped in front of the dog. She started pulling at the dog's feet a bit, and so I pulled her hand away and said "gentle". The dog then started licking DD's fingers very gently, and DD was giggling.
So I look back to my computer and out of the corner of my eye, I see the dog snap at DD and sort of yelp/growl. I think DD had pulled her foot too hard or something. DD started giggling, as she probably thought the dog was just playing with her and the dog never actually touched her.
So what should I do?
I was already considering getting a dog trainer out here since both of my dogs jump all over anyone who comes in the door. (I've tried keeping treats at the door, and treating them when they sit and it just hasn't worked.) I could ask the trainer about this behavior.

My dogs are generally gentle, and as Whippets, are not an aggressive breed.

How does everyone else handle pets and babies?

Now that DD is mobile it seems more of an issue since it would only take 2 seconds for her to get close enough to one of the dogs to pull at them or something. And the dogs are really part of the family, but do I need to get some gates up to block them off occasionally? The only gate I currently have is one in DD's room's doorway- no animals are allowed in there.

Finding another home for the dog would be just about the last resort I would want. I mean it's not like the dog attacked DD unprovoked or anything, right?

I am not freaking out, but just upset and want to make sure I handle the situation properly.

elizabethkott
02-22-2008, 12:17 AM
BTDT!
Maggie Mae (3 1/2 year old mutt) snapped at J-man twice when he was at the cruising stage. A sharp "NO!" correction with a touch to the neck (of the dog, not the baby!) let her know that it was unacceptable behavior.
My guess is that dogs are trying to figure out pack hierarchy at this stage, and see cruising as infringing on their "territory" or position. Letting your dog know that baby is higher up may help. Try going for walks with the dog and the baby in the stroller, with the dog on a short leash to keep the dog behind the baby. Dogs then see the baby as pack leader and challenge less.
It can be totally terrifying when the dog snaps at the baby for the first time. I had the same exact thoughts that you did - that we were going to have to give her to my parents or my SIL or something if, god forbid, she attacked the baby unprovoked. That would have been an absolute worst case scenario. But we haven't had an issue in a very long time, I'm glad to say. Just be sure the pups know who's the boss,,, baby!!!
HTH!

ETClarify.

lisams
02-22-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't have dogs, but have lots of family that have dogs. First, I really don't think you need to get rid of your dog, from what you wrote it doesn't sound like the dog was being aggressive. What she did was give your DD a firm warning. It reminds me of mother dogs who are tired of their pups climbing all over them, so she yips at them to put them in their place.

I think that you're going to need to be right there with her when she's around the dogs or keep them seperate until you're confident that she is gentle with them. Like if you're going to be in the bathroom or working on dinner, that's when I'd keep them seperate. With our cats, we're very big on "gentle pets" and when DS starts slapping them we firmly say "no!" and pick him up and move him away. I'm not big on using "no" all the time but do use it for times when I need him to stop if I'm too far away to physically move him away.

A dog trainer or classes sounds like a great idea. I think I would do that if I was concerned. I bet they'll have some good advice on how to handle the situation.

new_mommy25
02-22-2008, 12:46 AM
I think it's too early to get rid of the dog. She sounds like she was just issuing a warning to your DD. We have a large dog and here are a few things we do.
1. We have a gate in the hallway seperating the two halves of the house. The dog spent a lot of time in the back half of the house when DS and DD were cruisers.
2. Never leave the dog and DD unattended in the same room at that age. Even having your back the computer can be dangerous, IMO.

Now that my kids are older things are easier. The dog is used to them. The kids know how to be respectful of her space and moods. We don't have to use the gate nearly as often as we used to. Good luck.

elektra
02-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. I did grab the dog's nose and say "no" right away.
Then later I made sure I gave her some attention when she was just laying there being good.
I am glad to hear that this may be a temporary thing that is associated with the cruising or early walking stage for the baby. I might just have to separate animals and baby when I cannot have my eyes glued to her, but it's nice to know that may not have to be for too long. :)

Marisa6826
02-22-2008, 02:55 AM
I think that anybody that's had kids and dogs (where the dogs were the 'first' kids) has probably been in the same situation.

Yes, the dog needs to understand (and it probably does) that your DD is higher in the hierarchy of the pack. But at the same time, the dog isn't going to hesitate to protect itself it harmed (whether snapping/growling/whatever) - no matter how gentle the animal. Until your DD can understand that it's not nice to hurt the doggies, it's going to be your responsibility to keep her away from them when you can't keep your full attention on her.

I was totally at fault for this as well, and learned it the hard way - Sophie decided to throw books at one of the dogs (a very old dog) and she lacerated his cornea. Not only was it exquisitely painful for him, it was disturbingly expensive vet bill (and lesson) for me as a parent. I knew she threw the book, and that it hit him (she was just over a year old), but I didn't realise how badly he was injured until a day or so later. Willy almost lost vision in his eye.

Fortunately, Sophie was on the other side of the playgate (and Willy was too old and toothless to go after her, anyway). But now that she's older, she STILL hasn't learned her lesson and regularly bothers the dogs. Our oldest dog, Stymie is 11-1/2. He's got major cataracts forming. He does *not* like surprises. Sophie is reminded of this daily.

Still, she runs up and grabs him. Now, she's five. And as I said, I'm like a broken record telling her to leave the dogs alone (we have three of them). So on the occasions where he does snap at her - she completely deserves it. Fortunately, he does it only as a warning and has never actually broken skin. Honestly, I wouldn't blame him if he did (which isn't to say that it would be acceptable if it happened).

All of this is to say, I guess, is that you have a very long road ahead of you. I know it sucks, but if you have to crate the dogs, or separate them to give them some peace and quiet in order to ensure their safety, then that's what you'll have to do. But also, know that this likely isn't a scenario that will suddenly go away. As I said, Sophie's five and it still happens here daily (though Mia is three and tends to not really give the dogs the time of day, so who knows...).

HTH

-m