PDA

View Full Version : Wow - 16 yo and 7 kids!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I stumbled across this article today.

She has SEVEN kids now! She isn't even 17 yet. One single, and two sets of triplets.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7258072.stm

Wow, I have enough trouble keeping up with one at 25 years old! ;)

hellokitty
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
OK, I know I am going to sound judgemental, but has the girl not heard of birth control???? I'm sorry, but to be 16 with 7 unplanned kids is IMO irresponsible, esp since her gov't and her mom are supporting her! I cannot believe they built her a place for the first set of triplets and now with the 2nd set, they have to seek out even more gov't assistance. How difficult is it to use a condom or get on BCP?

leslieu
02-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't mean to sound harsh, but what that girl needs is to get her tubes tied.

happy2bamom
02-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Interesting that it doesn't say anything about the Dad (or Dads). I'm assuming that there are 3 different guys involved, but who knows? It seems to me like this girl needs to be educated, not just about sex but about self respect, self care, parenting, responsiblity, etc. I get so frustrated by teenage unplanned pregnancys b/c I have so many friends that are unable to get pregnant and they would make wonderful, stable parents.

Marisa6826
02-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't mean to sound harsh, but what that girl needs is to get her tubes tied.

That was *way* more polite than what I was thinking... :eek:

-m

katydid1971
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Interesting that it doesn't say anything about the Dad (or Dads). I'm assuming that there are 3 different guys involved, but who knows? It seems to me like this girl needs to be educated, not just about sex but about self respect, self care, parenting, responsiblity, etc. I get so frustrated by teenage unplanned pregnancys b/c I have so many friends that are unable to get pregnant and they would make wonderful, stable parents.

ITA!!! I have several friends who have spent big bucks trying to adopt and you see these teens with babies they don't take care of. It drives me nuts!!!!!

tnrnchick74
02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah, where ARE the "Dads" and what about the girl's mother?? Glad to see my tax dollars at work. I would contribute for a tubal!

Melanie
02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Huh. I'm guessing there's a cultural difference that doesn't translate here.

And why is it okay for a gov't to support one's children and not okay to tell them to get/take BC or get sterilized? We've got too many people on our planet as it is!

/off soapbox

npace19147
02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Huh. I'm guessing there's a cultural difference that doesn't translate here.

And why is it okay for a gov't to support one's children and not okay to tell them to get/take BC or get sterilized? We've got too many people on our planet as it is!

/off soapbox

While I agree with your general point, I'm wondering what you mean by cultural difference? The girl is in Argentina, do you mean b/c it's Catholic?

Melanie
02-22-2008, 05:19 PM
No, I just mean that maybe in Argentina (of which I have NO idea about) it's not abnormal to have a child at 14. Just trying to give the people the beneift of the doubt b/c I can't imagine in anyway a girl having a baby at 14, triplets at 15 and then again at 16, in our culture. I'd think they'd keep her from leaving the house unchaperoned! But I know in other countries, becoming a parent and even marriage at younger ages is not unacceptable to them.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-22-2008, 05:34 PM
No, I just mean that maybe in Argentina (of which I have NO idea about) it's not abnormal to have a child at 14. Just trying to give the people the beneift of the doubt b/c I can't imagine in anyway a girl having a baby at 14, triplets at 15 and then again at 16, in our culture. I'd think they'd keep her from leaving the house unchaperoned! But I know in other countries, becoming a parent and even marriage at younger ages is not unacceptable to them.

Yeah I am not sure of the culture either, but I think in the article it said something about the community being outraged because of her promiscuous behavior. I assume it's not the norm. Obviously, though, there is something missing in this girl's life like role models, boundaries, etc.

egoldber
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
I am kind of in awe. I mean what are the odds of having two sets of naturally occuring triplets? The odds of spontaneous triplets is about 1 in 8000.

Gena
02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
And why is it okay for a gov't to support one's children and not okay to tell them to get/take BC or get sterilized?

Do you really want governments to be able to decide who can have kids and who can't?

I'm not saying that this girl's behavior should be encouraged. As one of the PPs said, she needs education about self respect and responsibility. But I think it's dangerous to say that the govenment should require her or anyone else to go on birth control or be sterilized.

Emmas Mom
02-22-2008, 07:16 PM
That is disturbing. But I'm sure the fact that she lives in a remote part of Argentina has something to do with it. I wonder how much education she's had. I wonder the circumstances surrounding her pregnancies. The article leaves much out.