PDA

View Full Version : Brita Water Pitcher-PLASTIC #?

purpleeyes
02-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I am trying SO hard to get rid of plastics and use safe things in our kitchen, and DUH, I realized this morning that the Brita pitcher we use to make the formula, pour H20 for DS, for pretty much everything is plastic and it doesn't look good.
Probably shouldn't be using it... anyone know what # it is, and if it is bad, any recommendations for a better one-I am flexible with brands!
THANKS!!

MontrealMum
02-22-2008, 03:51 PM
I was stressing about this a few weeks ago since we have a possibility of lead in our water and always filter it to be sure to be safe. A friend emailed me a few websites that discuss the Brita pitcher specifically (since it is certain that the filter part, and filters that go directly on your tap are of *safe* plastic). Unfortunately, one of the websites (which was a blog) said that the pitcher was #7 - though if you look at your pitcher you'll see that it's not actually Lexan as Nalgene bottles are, so I am not really sure of the accuracy of this information. The other site said it was something else (but I'm not sure what). Confusing enough? The site that said that it was *safe* was a more reputable type of site (not a blog), but I just decided to give up and go another route for peace of mind.

Not having a whole lot of time for these things I bought a Brita filter that fits directly on the tap and I fill up old Gallo caraffes, which are glass, and keep that in the fridge for drinking water, and making DS' cereal. Sorry, that's not quite the answer to your specific question. I'll try to find those sites and post them here, then you can peruse them for yourself.

MontrealMum
02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Here are two links that discuss the pitcher part of the Brita system. They are both blogs, which are not generally considered "reliable" sources in Info. Studies-speak, but you can read them and use your judgement.

The first link seems to be more the opinions of the blogger, whereas the second one might involve some sort of research. 1) mihow.com/articles/2008/ 1/28/waging-war-against-bisphenol-a - 51k - 2) http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/02/z-report-bpa-brita.html I was unable to find the link that specified which plastic, exactly, Brita pitchers are made of, but it *might* actually be from the company's own website (you can find that link under #2 above).

We went the route of putting a filter directly on our tap because of the lead issue, and it is easier to fill up the kettle, and pots for cooking that way, so for us it's not that much of a problem to fill glass caraffes from that.

ThreeofUs
02-22-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm with you on this. I know I have seen pitchers made to fit the brita filter, at craft fairs and such, but I'm thinking the filter-on-the-tap solution might be the best way to go.

shoxie
02-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Here's a good link from greenguide.com...

http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/brita

"The bottom line is that The Green Guide sees no reason not to use Brita pitchers so long as they are the correct filter for the contaminants in your tap water."

Hope that helps!