PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: DD coughed all nite, what works?

KrystalS
02-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Update: Ok I think I may lose my mind soon! The cough is getting worse, I can't get into the Dr. until Wed morning! I have tried everyones suggestions, Chloraseptic didn't work, honey not a thing. DD coughed til about 1 am then she finally fell asleep, once she is good and asleep it stops, she started again around 4am lasted for about 2 hrs. She is still asleep right now, thank god! I'm exhausted though! I'm going today to get some Delsym and Benadryl, those are the only 2 things I haven't tried yet.

My DD has caught a cold, hopefully it doesn't end up as something worse. I normally use Pediacare long acting cough and it usually works. It didn't help at all last nite. I've also been using a Pediacare multisymptom cold, it helps with the runny nose but not the cough. I used the humidifier and put some vicks on her. She would stop coughing for a couple of hours but it always came back. What else can I try? What cough syrups work for your kids? She is 4 by the way so she can use any of the kids cough syrups. Do the Vicks humidifiers work better? Ours is old so I want to get a new one anyway.

egoldber
02-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Many nighttime coughs are from sinus drainage. So I usually just give plain Children's Benadryl. I never give multi-symptom formulas and they generally aren't recommended anymore.

Now, my older DD also has asthma, so often gets a nighttime cough, and albuterol (inhaled med that dilates the bronchial passages) is the only thing that really works. But sometimes albuterol is given for severe nighttime coughs even for just a cold.

I would call the ped and see what they suggest.

mom2binsd
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I have been rubbing Vicks Vaporub on my DC's feet (put socks on after)- if you subscribe to reflexology theory it makes sense...anyway this winter it has been great and my kids love the foot massage before bed and no coughing. It's cheap too. We also use a cool mist humidifier with regular water.

The only cough med we've tried in the past is Delsym which was the most recommended by our ped although I remember hearing that most cough med's don't really work that great.

I just hate it hear my DC's cough at night knowing they need their sleep to feel better!

KrystalS
02-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I know its from the drainage because she is coughing a lot more at night vs. during the day. We are military so calling the ped is useless. We have to call the appt line and they transfer to an answering machine, we rarely get a call back. And right now the clinics are so backed up they didn't have any appts until March 1st!

schums
02-23-2008, 12:55 PM
We just went through this ourselves. The only things that helped at all were the humidifier and elevating the head of her bed (we put pillows under the head of her mattress). None of the cough meds worked this time, and usually they do a great job with her. We ended up at the ped, and were diagnosed with post-viral asthma and now have a nebulizer. It's not "permanent" asthma, just the body's reaction to this cold, but it could keep coming back.

If your DD is still coughing, I'd call the appt line and get the first available appt, just in case this doesn't go away. DD's cough took 3 weeks to get rid of.

GL,

Raidra
02-23-2008, 06:23 PM
They don't recommend multi-symptom cold remedies for little ones anymore. Dr. Sears recommends Delsym for coughs and we tried it for the last cold. For us, it worked fantastically.. it was really amazing. He went from having nonstop coughing fits to totally cough free for the whole entire night.

For runny noses, we use Benadryl and Vicks, too, if it's keeping them up at night. For sore throats, we use a spoonful of honey. And for fevers, we use Motrin. For the most part, we only medicate at night except in the case of high fevers. It's important for them to cough up all the gunk, but when it interferes with sleep, I figure it's best to let them get some rest.

spanannie
02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
We use Delsym for nighttime cough. Our pedi. recommends adding Benadryl, if the cough is hindering sleep. We use a humidifier, as well. DS has reactive airway disorder, and, we have to resort to Albuterol. Since your DD is having sinus drainage, it might be a good idea to give Triaminic Yellow (or Mucinex) during the day to keep everything thin and loose. Our pedi. recommends this with most cough, cold or allergy symptoms, but only during the day . . . giving the last dose by 6PM.

My husband firmly believes in Chloroseptic spray, when having coughing troubles. He thinks it makes a difference and my DS doesn't mind it. If DS has coughing fits in the middle of the night, he'll go upstairs and give him a spray and it seems to calm the cough.

missym
02-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Sorry! I didn't mean to close this thread. I think I was viewing it and DD tried to "help" me on the computer. :oops:

KBecks
02-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I have heard of using honey in lieu of cough syrup. But then I worry about rotting my kids' teeth. (Honey only over age 1). Alek likes honey but we have only tried it once or twice.

ThreeofUs
02-24-2008, 10:09 AM
It's the swallowing that stops coughing fits, and honey coats the throat nicely and has antibacterial qualities as a bonus. So, a teaspoon or two of honey mixed with water is recommended (and really works for us) for coughing.

Btw, don't forget cough syrup is generally full of things like HFCS and other sweeteners, at a much higher concentration than honey/water, and generally awful for teeth.

KrystalS
02-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Well we may be trying to honey because cough syrup is not helping at all. The vaporizer helped a little but not much. She was still up half the night coughing, then she woke up at 7 which rarely happens. She usually sleeps til at least 830, needless to say I'm exhausted! I'm calling the appt line tomorrow, hopefully I can get something this week at least. If anyone has other suggestions I'll try just about anything at this point.

supercalifragilous
02-24-2008, 12:27 PM
The honey works really well, but I noticed it didn't last as long. DH ended up giving her Delsym when her coughs started getting more frequent and she was able to sleep through the night.

PP is right - at first I was concerned about the honey but then remembered that cough syrups are loaded with HFCS and sugars too! I'm just not a big fan of giving meds when there are natural alternatives that work just as well.

I read the honey study and they used dark honey - buckwheat to be exact. I don't know if it has more antibacterial properties than others but it does smell a smidge medicinal. I've also read amazing things about manuka honey from New Zealand but my parents have it and it smells REALLY medicinal (although there are different grades/UMFs). For the coating properties, any honey would work.

I think DD's coughs were due to postnasal drip, so it's that constant drain+tickle in the back of her throat that's causing her to cough. I can see how the Chloraseptic would work to that effect - numb it to eliminate the back-of-the-throat tickle. Smart!

KrystalS
02-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Just wanted to bump this up since I updated, hoping someone has a suggestion.

TaChapm
02-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Honestly the only thing that has consistantly worked well for for my kids is the vicks on their feet. I know is sounds completely crazy but it works. I slather on adult (not baby) vicks on their feet and then put socks on and it works instantly. Usually they will sleep through the night but if they happen to wake up I just do it again. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it.

kijip
02-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I would be concerned about croup because of our recent issue with it. Honestly nothing (honey, humidifier, hot baths and sitting in the bathroom with the shower on) worked for that until the doctor gave him steroids. I am extremely reluctant to give any cough or cold meidcation since they have basically been shown to be futile in kids and perhaps harmful.

egoldber
02-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Try the Benadryl. Its the first and only OTC med my peds recommend for cough anymore. Not only does it help to clear the postnasal drip, but it also (for many kids) helps to relax them enough to fall asleep. My ped group used to recommend Delsym but not since the new recommendations from the FDA about cough medicines and young children came out (which was basically, don't use them).

If the cough is getting worse, I would call the ped back, tell them it is getting worse, you're concerned about croup and think you may need to go to the ER. See if they have room them. At the very least, they may call in albuterol which can help. They probably won't prescribe a steroid without seeing her first though.

I'm sorry. Night time coughs STINK!!

Emmas Mom
02-25-2008, 01:49 PM
It just stinks when they're sick & you feel helpless. I agree you should try the Benadryl, hopefully that will dry her up a bit. I'd also keep using the humidifier & try Vicks too. If you can mix the Delsym & Benadryl (not sure what all the Delsym has in it though), I'd use them both. Hang in there!

KrystalS
02-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I didn't think about the croup but now that you've said it thats definitely what it sounds like. Tara I tried the vicks it didn't help either, although DD liked getting her feet rubbed!
Thanks Beth, I'm sending Dh to get Benadryl, I'll just skip the Delsym, shes had so much cough syrup, I hated giving it to her but she was just miserable. The thing about the military is we never actually get to talk to the dr or even the clinic. We call an appt line and they just give us the first available appt in their system. They do set aside some same day appts, I just didn't get a call in early enough to get one. I'm going to get up early in the morning and hopefully get an appt for tomorrow.
And you're right night time coughs are the WORST! She coughs during the day too but she just seems so miserable at night.

Emmas Mom
02-25-2008, 02:02 PM
What about giving her something warm to drink at night before she goes to bed? I know most kids don't like herbal tea but something clear & warm & maybe with honey in it couldn't hurt. That combined with the Benadryl, vaporizer/humidifer & Vicks (maybe put some on her neck/chest?), might help a bit. Heck, I so know where you're coming from, I was in this position last month....trying anything & everything is better than listening to them be miserable all night. :hug: And if it is Croup then she could be having trouble breathing & need a Nebulizer. I think THAT would be cause for your damn military doctors to get you guys in! Sorry, I grew up an Army brat & remember my Mom fighting to get doctor's appointments. It's a love/hate relationship with the military. ;)

lisams
02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone, I didn't think about the croup but now that you've said it thats definitely what it sounds like. Tara I tried the vicks it didn't help either, although DD liked getting her feet rubbed!
Thanks Beth, I'm sending Dh to get Benadryl, I'll just skip the Delsym, shes had so much cough syrup, I hated giving it to her but she was just miserable. The thing about the military is we never actually get to talk to the dr or even the clinic. We call an appt line and they just give us the first available appt in their system. They do set aside some same day appts, I just didn't get a call in early enough to get one. I'm going to get up early in the morning and hopefully get an appt for tomorrow.
And you're right night time coughs are the WORST! She coughs during the day too but she just seems so miserable at night.

Could you go to Urgent Care? That stinks that you can't even talk to a dr. or nurse. Is there a different line you could call where you actually speak to a nurse and tell them what's going on? They may want to see her now if they think it's croup. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.

almostsane
02-25-2008, 03:56 PM
My boss recommended Delsym for us. His DS is 6 days younger than our DS. It has been a godsend! We give 1/2 tsp, each night, during cough. It works for 12 hours, so sleep through the night!:yay: I sure hope that it works out for you as well as it has for us.

KrystalS
02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Could you go to Urgent Care? That stinks that you can't even talk to a dr. or nurse. Is there a different line you could call where you actually speak to a nurse and tell them what's going on? They may want to see her now if they think it's croup. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.

We can leave a message for our dr and usually a nurse calls back, I did that on Friday morning and this morning and no one has ever called back! Dd seems to be a little better this afternoon. She isn't coughing near as much as she has been. We'll see how it goes tonight though.

fauve01
02-25-2008, 06:00 PM
NOTHING helps DD with coughing at night except the prescription cough syrup with codeine. we've tried EVERYTHING else --all the OTCs, including delsym-- vicks, honey, humidifier, throat spray, homeopathic. nothing. when it's *really bad* (not too often, thank goodness), we use the prescription stuff for sleep only.

to the OP-- i'd go see your ped if nothing is working and it's been a while. you might need antibiotics for a sinus infection or something (we just got some last week). it's going around!

anne + DD 10-03

Tondi G
02-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Can you speak with your doctor directly? Maybe they would see it fit to squeeze you in since DD isn't improving and it's keeping everyone up at night! If nothing else maybe he can call in some prescription cough medicine!

Good luck and hang in there!

KrystalS
02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Thats what I'm really needing is the codeine cough syrup. And no we can't talk to the dr directly. At least I've never been able to. Normally we just leave a message and a nurse calls us back, sometimes they will put in a prescription for us but normally it has to be for something they've already seen Dd for, such as allergy meds.
Dd seems to be a lot better this afternoon, no more runny nose and she is coughing a lot less. We'll see how tonight goes though.

Corie
11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
My husband firmly believes in Chloroseptic spray, when having coughing troubles. He thinks it makes a difference and my DS doesn't mind it. If DS has coughing fits in the middle of the night, he'll go upstairs and give him a spray and it seems to calm the cough.

Annie,

I thought of you this week as I tried your DH's Chloraseptic spray
trick for my cough.
I was in the middle of a huge coughing attack and I went to the bathroom for a squirt of Chloraseptic. Worked wonders! I stopped coughing almost immediately. I *heart* your DH. :)