PDA

View Full Version : Storing Thomas Trains

julieakc
02-23-2008, 02:02 PM
What do you use to store DC's Thomas Trains?

I really like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Curve-LC99638A-Engine-Caddy/dp/B000J5137K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1203789428&sr=1-1

But DS has a few more trains than it holds, so I'm wondering if I should look at something else, like maybe this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Friends-Wooden-Railway-Carry/dp/B00000JIDG/ref=pd_sim_t?ie=UTF8&qid=1203789428&sr=1-1

I know I could just store them all in a plastic bin or something, but I'd prefer something with more organization as opposed to just a big pile. That's what's so appealing about the caddy - I really like that the trains are nicely organized and visible - easy to find the one you want.

Just wondering if there's any other ideas out there I have thought of?

new_mommy25
02-23-2008, 02:40 PM
We have the caddy. It's cute but like you said doesn't hold a lot of trains. DS uses it to keep his favorites on display near his bed. DS has an obscene amount of trains so we use one of those bin organizers. 3 bins have trains, and the rest of the bins are filled with track, and other train accesories. I actually like this system because I am able to keep each type of track in a different bin and can quickly grab what I need while building. DS has never had a problem with finding the train he wants. I used to be super organized and have the trains in bins according to rail and roadway but gave up because DS didn't care. :)

ThreeofUs
02-23-2008, 04:06 PM
I use a pretty, sturdy basket. But this doesn't meet your "organized, visible" criteria.

We also have a Thomas train storage case, but it's a bit of a pain fitting trains in and then closing (as some slip out of their spots).

August Mom
02-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I haven't seen that first wooden one but it looks nice. We have the carry bag and I really like it. We always used it for travel and storage of some items at home. We could put a Figure 8 set in the main compartment along with 6 trains or so (there are interior pockets on the top flap) and little signs, people, etc. in the outside pocket.

Do not get the tin Thomas train case. It's not very nice - dents easily and doesn't latch tightly.

We have several of these parts organizers from The Container Store for the trains. I don't like to mix the trains in with track because I like the paint to stay nice. These have worked well for us, but we have several to hold all our trains.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?searchId=13014344&itemIndex=1&CATID=230&PRODID=70441

MacMacMoo
02-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Take a couple of them (a mix of sizes) to walmart and see if they fit in the fish tackle boxes.

hellokitty
02-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Lol, I am sorry, but I just kind of had to chuckle at the idea of trying to organize all of our trains. We have about... I dunno, at least 200-300 trains? I seriously do not know (esp since we bought a humongous used wooden set with thomas and brio from one of my DH's co-workers). We throw them in stacking bins. While you might like to see them organized neatly, I am wondering if your son will be able to keep them organized. I know that my kids would not keep them organized, even if I would want them to, and it would drive me nuts. I'm lucky if they can just get their toys into some sort of bin when it's time to clean up. I am a person who is by nature, very into being organized. However, after having two boys, I've lowered my stds a lot. Sometimes I think that is why I ended up with two boys... so I could eat humble pie.

julieakc
02-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the responses - the tackle box and container store ideas are great. See I knew there must be other options I hadn't thought about.

julieakc
02-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Lol, I am sorry, but I just kind of had to chuckle at the idea of trying to organize all of our trains. We have about... I dunno, at least 200-300 trains? I seriously do not know (esp since we bought a humongous used wooden set with thomas and brio from one of my DH's co-workers). We throw them in stacking bins. While you might like to see them organized neatly, I am wondering if your son will be able to keep them organized. I know that my kids would not keep them organized, even if I would want them to, and it would drive me nuts. I'm lucky if they can just get their toys into some sort of bin when it's time to clean up. I am a person who is by nature, very into being organized. However, after having two boys, I've lowered my stds a lot. Sometimes I think that is why I ended up with two boys... so I could eat humble pie.

Wow! That is a lot of trains! Is there any train you don't have?

DS only has about 20 Thomas Trains and a few random ones (Brio, etc.), so when I said he had a few more than would fit in the caddy, I really did mean just a few.

Beleive it or not DS is pretty good about keeping his stuff organized. I have his stuff set up in various bins and he does a good job putting everything back in the correct spots. Since he doesn't have an overwhelming amount of trains I think that he could manage a decent job at keeping them in individual slots (in the caddy, tackle box, or the recommended container store boxes).

hellokitty
02-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Wow! That is a lot of trains! Is there any train you don't have?

DS only has about 20 Thomas Trains and a few random ones (Brio, etc.), so when I said he had a few more than would fit in the caddy, I really did mean just a few.

Beleive it or not DS is pretty good about keeping his stuff organized. I have his stuff set up in various bins and he does a good job putting everything back in the correct spots. Since he doesn't have an overwhelming amount of trains I think that he could manage a decent job at keeping them in individual slots (in the caddy, tackle box, or the recommended container store boxes).

You know, we basically bought a huge used set. It has a ton of wooden trains, either thomas or some other brio stuff. I think there are a few thomas trains that we don't have, but I would say that we probably have about 85% of them. The child who had the set before us we a major thomas nut, and has since then moved onto electric trains. When his dad told my DH about their wooden train set, and my DH offered to buy it from him, he told him to check ebay and let us know his price. Well, he came back and said he was going to ask $100 for all the tracks, buildings, trains, etc.. He gave my DH a huge rubbermaid bin of stuff, and we thought it was a great deal, and then a few days later, gave us ANOTHER bin of just trains! I think we probably have close to $1000 worth of stuff from that transaction. I told my DH that we will be keeping this set as a family heirloom for our grandkids. My kids are train nuts, and they also have other trains (geotrax, metal trains other random stuff, etc.).

That is great that your son keeps his trains so organized. My kids are awful about that, so we just tell them to aim for getting it into the designated train bin, lol.

julieakc
02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
You know, we basically bought a huge used set. It has a ton of wooden trains, either thomas or some other brio stuff. I think there are a few thomas trains that we don't have, but I would say that we probably have about 85% of them. The child who had the set before us we a major thomas nut, and has since then moved onto electric trains. When his dad told my DH about their wooden train set, and my DH offered to buy it from him, he told him to check ebay and let us know his price. Well, he came back and said he was going to ask $100 for all the tracks, buildings, trains, etc.. He gave my DH a huge rubbermaid bin of stuff, and we thought it was a great deal, and then a few days later, gave us ANOTHER bin of just trains! I think we probably have close to $1000 worth of stuff from that transaction. I told my DH that we will be keeping this set as a family heirloom for our grandkids. My kids are train nuts, and they also have other trains (geotrax, metal trains other random stuff, etc.).

That is great that your son keeps his trains so organized. My kids are awful about that, so we just tell them to aim for getting it into the designated train bin, lol.

That is a great deal - way to go DH for getting such a deal for your kids. :applause: I've spent a couple hundred dollars and have no where near what you have.

Oh DS just piles stuff in the bins too, but he's good about getting stuff in the right bins. We'll see about getting trains in individual "slots" - I'll be happy if he just gets them in whatever container I end up with, and then I can straighten them up afterwards. :D