PDA

View Full Version : which thermometer?

audreysmom
02-24-2008, 01:17 PM
We have a Saftey1st underarm thermometer for our 5 mo old, but I'm not so sure about its accuracy. I get very diff't readings. I think we want to go with an in-ear kind. Do you have one you'd recommend? Our baby woke up congested with morning.

Thanks for the feedback.

dolphilisa
02-24-2008, 03:09 PM
I have the MOBI Digital Ultra Thermometer and have been pleased with it so far. My DS is almost one and I would get so frustrated with trying to take his temperature under the arm. So, I switched to an ear thermometer (tried two different brands) and neither one would take it accurately! The MOBI allows you to take the temperature in the ear or on the forehead. It's a very quick reading and has a mini flashlight, display with backlight, a clock, calendar and room temperature. I ordered it online from Sam's Club but can be found elsewhere. I think it's still somewhat hard to get a 100% accurate reading when you take the temperature in the ear. Their ears are just so little! A nurse at the pediatrician's office advised to pull the earlobe out a little when you take their temperature.

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2008, 03:54 PM
I have the ear one for my older ds, myself and dh but we don't use it for the baby b/c the ear piece is too big to allow for an accurate reading. Our ped uses a temporal one and they recommended that style for us and the baby. I'll have to look for the one the pp mentioned.

Beth

mommy2amelia
02-24-2008, 04:42 PM
my understanding is that the inner ear one isn't accurate for babies/that rectal is the most accurate

mom2binsd
02-24-2008, 08:31 PM
We have used the Safety 1st flexible one for rectal temps for both our DC's- that said I don't understand why they suggest you lay the baby on your lap face down to take their temp- my DC's just lie still on their back on the changing table while I take their temps, my ped told us rectal is best for babies, the thermometer we use is quick, and also remembers the last temp taken as well which is helpful (and it was not expensive as we threw out DD's once she was too old for a rectal temp).

MamaMolly
02-24-2008, 08:55 PM
I bought a temporal artery one after reading about it here. I got mine at Walmart for under $40. I love it! You just swipe it across baby's (or anyones!) head and presto you have a reading that is as accurate as a rectal.

I love that I don't have to undress baby when she is asleep. In a perfect world, it would have a backlight. That is my only complaint.

I saw a smaller one at CVS last week that was the same price area, but didn't have time to check the features. If it had a backlight I'd buy it and keep the other one as a back up.
HTH!

audreysmom
02-24-2008, 09:05 PM
thanks all for your helpful feedback... wow, there are so many opinions out there regarding which is the best (ear, underarm, rectal, forehead), but i will read these closely.

Today we just bought and tried a $29 in-ear therm. from CVS (CVS brand), and it was bad. My husband and i tried it ourselves and it read about 2 degrees under, so i had to go return it.

-GL

I have the MOBI Digital Ultra Thermometer and have been pleased with it so far. My DS is almost one and I would get so frustrated with trying to take his temperature under the arm. So, I switched to an ear thermometer (tried two different brands) and neither one would take it accurately! The MOBI allows you to take the temperature in the ear or on the forehead. It's a very quick reading and has a mini flashlight, display with backlight, a clock, calendar and room temperature. I ordered it online from Sam's Club but can be found elsewhere. I think it's still somewhat hard to get a 100% accurate reading when you take the temperature in the ear. Their ears are just so little! A nurse at the pediatrician's office advised to pull the earlobe out a little when you take their temperature.