PDA

View Full Version : I don't *need* a changing table, right?

sidmand
02-24-2008, 05:45 PM
I had a combo dresser/changing table for DS. But it's still in his room and I don't think we'll be moving it out. We'll probably just be switching it over to just a dresser soon.

We're borrowing a crib for DD and I can't justify spending $100 (or more) on a changing table that's only a changing table—IYKWIM? We have a dresser, but it's too high to put a changing pad on. There will be a twin bed in that room. Can we just put a changing pad on the bed and/or in the crib? Would that work okay? Both DH and I have bad backs and I don't want to bend too too much. I have been looking on Craigslist, but it's also not a huge room. If I could've found a dresser I loved that would work, I might have gone that way, but instead I'm just wondering if I can do without?

So, I think we found our solution! I was all set to head to IKEA (we need to get something there anyway) and I thought the cabinet/changing table might actually work pretty well. But I was talking to DS's speech therapist (who is also lending us a crib!) and she said she bought a changing table for her sister at a yard sale, cleaned it all up, but her sister didn't want to use it since she decided to go the $700 Pottery Barn route and if we wanted it...heck, yeah! I was so specific about DS's nursery and now I say, bring it on! DD's room will be white/natural wood (IKEA furniture that's already there) and the crib is white and I think the changing table is natural wood, so there we go...

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. If this doesn't work out (for whatever reason), we'll definitely be taking a look there.

mom2binsd
02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
I hate bending over on a bed/sitting on the floor to change and dress my DC's (like when I'm visiting my parents) and can't see using the crib at all for changes....I used my changing dresser until DD was almost 3 and then we bought nursery furniture for DS from Kmart as DD wasn't done with her crib/todldler bed and dresser/change table (cute 3in1crib for 89.00 and dresser/change table for about 100), I can't imagine not having it...that's just me. Some places will have stuff reasonably priced or even second hand stores/garage sales.

MamaMolly
02-24-2008, 09:07 PM
No you don't HAVE to have one, but they sure come in handy. Remember that you will soon enough be dropping that crib mattress, which means more bending and stooping to use it as a place to change baby.

I see these all the time in thrift stores for under $20. I'd go that route if you don't want to spend $100. Or maybe you can get one for free on Freecycle (www.freecycle.org). I see them there from time to time.

Another alternative is the one that folds down from the wall from Ikea. Now that we have moved into a new place DDs room is teensie tiny and I think this would have been a good option for us.

I bought nearly everything for DD used at thrift stores and consignment. I only paid full price for the crib and the changing table, and only paid full price for the changing table because it matched the crib and I figured that I could splurge on this one item. I put some big baskets with her clothes in it on the shelves.

I have to say that I think the table has limited use. DD is 17 months and we just replaced hers with a dresser from Freecycle. It is low enough that we just put the pad on the top. She had begun to pull everything out of the baskets and was making me nuts.
HTH,

vludmilla
02-24-2008, 09:19 PM
No, you don't strictly need a changing table but maybe you can repurpose something you already have since they are pretty handy.
We used my office desk and hutch since I wouldn't be needing an office once DD arrived. It has worked out surprisingly well. It is just the right height and the hutch provides great storage. See if you have anything that would be the right height with a changing pad on it. It doesn't need to match or look great because you won't keep it in the room for that long but you'll be glad to have it when you're chaning 8-10 diapers a day in those early days ;)

hellokitty
02-24-2008, 10:06 PM
If I were you I'd just put a changing pad on the bed (with a chux pad underneath the pad for any accidents) and use that, esp since you mention that the room is already kind of cramped. If you have a good contoured changing pad, it will work out just fine. They also have some gadget, I know I have seen it before back when I had my oldest son, where you can attach it to the rails of the crib and use it as a changing table. You obviously take it off when you are not using it. My only reservation about that is if your baby has an accident (although I notice you are having a dd this time, not a ds), and pee or poo would end up in the crib, which would call for a sheet change. I don't know what it is called, but maybe someone else here knows what I am talking about.

SnuggleBuggles
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I really think they are worth having. How about a Pack N Play that has the changing table option? At least you have something in the beginning when you are changing a ton of diapers.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
02-24-2008, 10:34 PM
I couldn't live w/o one. There's already a lot of bending/picking up/carrying 2 DC that hurts my back. Getting one changed/dressed in his/her own room w/o disturbing the other one who is napping is essential in our house. We used a regular dresser w/a pad on top for both bedrooms (perfect height), but in tight quarters, I'd go for the IKEA option in a flash. I love the orientation of it in theory.

ShanaMama
02-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Especially if you have bad backs I think changing on the bed is a difficult idea. You have so much more leverage when you're standing, and changing tables/ combo dressers are just the right height. Keep in mind that as baby gets older & squirmier, it will be that much harder to change if you're sitting down or uncomfortable.
How about moving DS's combo into baby's room and using the tall dresser for DS? Did I understand the furniture arrangement correctly?

westgre
02-25-2008, 12:02 AM
How about a Rail Rider? We have always had pretty small living spaces. We have one of these and I absolutely love it. It is so worth having in the beginning when you're changing diapers every few hours.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5683995

sidmand
02-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all the input.

I am trying to figure out something to repurpose that might work and so far haven't had any luck. I was thinking about consignment stores...I was really hoping that people would say, "oh no, not necessary at all," but I was thinking it would be nice, wouldn't it? I know there's a lot more changing than I'm even remembering! We do have a PNP with the changing table feature. I was never too thrilled with it, but it'll probably work in a pinch, at least until we get something else.

The room isn't tiny tiny. We're going to keep the twin bed in there (it's currently the spare room). It is totally an option to put DS's dresser/combo in there, but it's the only piece of furniture I have that actually *matches* his crib! I know that's a silly reason if it would be helpful, but we also do still use it for him and it's a dark wood vs. the white/light wood in the new baby's room. Again, I know that's dumb! But maybe I'll keep looking for a cheap changing table and/or see what else around the house I might repurpose. I know there must be something with all this stuff stuffed in here!

Wife_and_mommy
02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
You might check your local craigslist. It's my new favorite shopping place, lol! I've seen *very* nice changing tables/furniture including Ragazzi and PBK.

maylips
02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
I saw a blurb once on HGTV that had a cute idea for repurposing your changing table after you're done using it. They painted it, added a wine glass holder underneath, added castors, and basically made it into rolling bar to use for outdoor parties.

We currently use a dresser but after seeing that, it made me sort of wish we had bought a "real" changing table. :)

Anyway, to help you justify buying one. I have a terrible back too and the times I've changed DD on a bed, it was horrible. I can't imagine doing that every time.

KBecks
02-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I think you should have one, a friend has a nice Ikea changing table where you lay your child facing you (the surface area is bigger) and it's so much nicer and easier to use. I would consider something like this if we did not already have a dresser to use.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79838765

sidmand
02-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I saw a blurb once on HGTV that had a cute idea for repurposing your changing table after you're done using it. They painted it, added a wine glass holder underneath, added castors, and basically made it into rolling bar to use for outdoor parties.

That's a really nice idea. I don't think DH and I are handy enough to attempt that, but it makes a lot of sense.

I suppose there are plenty of things I've spent $100 on that I've hardly used (sadly, I can think of some off the top of my head!) and this would be very very useful for a little while anyway. I don't know why this one is getting to me when other things don't!

GeekLady
02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Is there a TV cart that's tall enough to repurpose as a changing table? Or a changing table that has a flat top you could repurpose into a TV cart? A nice deep bookshelf*? Ikea has these Träby bookcases that are ALMOST deep enough for a RumbleTuff changing pad (15.75" v. 17")

...Actually, I think those Ikea bookcases might have just solved my own changing surface woes (I can't go the dresser change route because I'm refinishing my own childhood dresser and it's just too tall). The Träby aren't cheap, but with the doors and drawers you can add, they look extremely flexible. Awesome.

Or, if you found some strong enough brackets, you could just mount a wide shelf at the appropriate height on the wall, and then take it down when you don't need a changing table anymore.

*I'm afraid I'm one of those people of the opinion that you can never have enough bookcases in your house.

hellokitty
02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
How about a Rail Rider? We have always had pretty small living spaces. We have one of these and I absolutely love it. It is so worth having in the beginning when you're changing diapers every few hours.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5683995

TY! That is what they are called. I couldn't remember, but I knew they existed.