PDA

View Full Version : Stupid stupid GI doctor!

ShanaMama
02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Dear Mr. Doctor-
I have terrible horrible heartburn and have been on Nexium for years already. Over the past year or so it has gotten much better and I weaned myself off the Nexium. Since I'm pregnant, it's back in full force. I usually have a cigarette lighter in my chest. On bad days there are waves of fire washing up and down my insides. As a matter of fact, that's the exact reason I came to see you last week. All I wanted was more Nexium- lots of it.
So why in heaven's name did you see fit to prescribe me a new medicine? One that comes in GIANT chalky pills that gag me? One that needs to be taken THREE TIMES A DAY?! What are you thinking, man? That is just not happening with my hectic life! So I end up taking nothing & literally suffering.
For some reason, after the hour and half wait to see you, my active two year old was getting pretty antsy. I was trying to keep her in check & listen to you for the 6 minutes you deigned to talk to me. That's why I didn't pick up on the three times a day comment. And yes, I understand that there are no true studies proving the safety of Nexium while pregnant, but it's category whatever and I'm comfortable taking it. I need to survive and not be throwing up from the pain of indigestion. And FYI I took it all thru my previous pregnancy and DD turned out just fine. So when I call you tomorrow to BEG :bowdown: for Nexium, please keep these thoughts in mind & just give it to me!
And since I've gotten the frustration out of my system I can hopefully be respectful as I wait on hold forever and wade thru your endless office staff!

caleymama
02-24-2008, 09:26 PM
:hug: - I hope you get your Nexium and get some relief soon!!

KentuckyRK
02-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Okay this may sound totally nutso and it may not work at all for you (it just depends). I went through years of suffering from indigestion and heartburn, tried Nexium, Tums, Gas-X and any number of other antacids and some worked for a bit and some didn't work at all.

Well several months ago It was suggested that I add about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to water and drink it... and it has worked wonders. It turned out that the problem wasn't too much acid it was lack of acid...

ShanaMama
02-24-2008, 10:57 PM
I would be willing to try that, at least for the next few days till I get the Nexium. ;) Only problem is, if my problem is too much acid won't I exacerbate it?
How often do you drink the apple cider vinegar water?

KentuckyRK
02-25-2008, 12:16 AM
I would be willing to try that, at least for the next few days till I get the Nexium. ;) Only problem is, if my problem is too much acid won't I exacerbate it?
How often do you drink the apple cider vinegar water?

It could... but I was desperate and willing to try anything and thankfully it worked for me. My best suggestion is to try it when you are having a lighter bout and not when it's really horrible at first that way it won't exacerbate it too much if that's the problem.

I usually add the vinegar to about 4/6 ounces of water (though it's actually easier to just take a swig of vinegar and a gulp of water, swish it around in your mouth and swallow it) It burns a little if you get too much of the vinegar.

The most I've ever done it is twice a day... it's the most I've ever needed it.

KentuckyRK
02-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Just to add, if you google "Apple Cider Vinegar + heartburn" you'll find a lot of websites. I've also used it for colds and headaches as well (it's like the cure for EVERYTHING!)

Here's one website that explains some uses;
http://www.mdidea.com/products/proper/proper091.html

And it shows heartburn and indigestion on there if you scroll down. I think most of the sites I've ever looked at say 2 tablespoons per day and always dilute with water or apple juice. I also always brush my teeth shortly afterwards as my doctor has said that extensive use can cause damage to the teeth enamel (otherwise he said that while he has no proof it works, there's nothing unhealthy about it).

amandabea
02-25-2008, 01:08 AM
I know it sounds odd -- OK, not any more odd than the apple cider vinegar -- but I've been told that eating a red delicious apple every day will help greatly. My cousin did this while she was pregnant and had great results -- she also experimented with other apple varieties, but they didn't work as well. Anyway I also have a friend at work and he has been eating them for his heartburn since I told him about it and he says it has helped a lot. I wish I had known when I was pregnant...I went the Tums route and ugh if I even see them now I want to gag.

daniele_ut
02-25-2008, 04:22 AM
Since your GI doc isn't being very responsive, can you talk to your OB? I only have raging heartburn when I am pregnant and my doc prescribed Prevacid for me several months ago when it was so bad I couldn't sleep at all. It worked extremely well.

ThreeofUs
02-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Well several months ago It was suggested that I add about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to water and drink it... and it has worked wonders.

Chiming in a little late, but this has been my experience as well. Tums, etc., just make me feel ill. ACV makes me feel great.

ShanaMama
02-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I know it sounds odd -- OK, not any more odd than the apple cider vinegar -- but I've been told that eating a red delicious apple every day will help greatly. My cousin did this while she was pregnant and had great results -- she also experimented with other apple varieties, but they didn't work as well. Anyway I also have a friend at work and he has been eating them for his heartburn since I told him about it and he says it has helped a lot. I wish I had known when I was pregnant...I went the Tums route and ugh if I even see them now I want to gag.

What's odd is the fact that I suddenly developed an intense obsession with red delicious apples and I eat one almost every day. LOL :ROTFLMAO: Now that you mention it, maybe the heartburn is a little better those days. I'll have to pay more attention.
Now that so many ppl have suggested the ACV I think I'll have to buy some. I've never heard this before but at this point I'm willing to try anything.

ShanaMama
02-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Since your GI doc isn't being very responsive, can you talk to your OB? I only have raging heartburn when I am pregnant and my doc prescribed Prevacid for me several months ago when it was so bad I couldn't sleep at all. It worked extremely well.

The issue isn't getting a prescription, I can get that easily. The problem is that my insurance company won't pay for Nexium without preauthorization which consists of endless paperwork that only the GI office can fill out. They usually just give me tons of samples to avoid dealing with it.