PDA

View Full Version : Time to part ways with our pooch

LarsMal
02-27-2008, 02:55 PM
It was confirmed today that DS is not only allergic to dairy and eggs, but also to dogs and cats. The good news is that he didn't test positive for dust, molds, or other environmental stuff. They did skin testing and a nasal swab, and he had allergens in his nasal cavaties as well.

Over the holidays he had three allergic reactions, all with asthma-type symptoms, no rashes, which was weird b/c his food reactions have always involved a rash. The three places we were had dogs, so I thought that may have been connected.

Our dog doesn't lick, so I don't know if it's more of a dog saliva thing, or if he is maybe just a little more sensitized to our dog, or the fact that I don't really let her in the areas where DS spends most of his time- the play room, his bedroom, etc.

Bottom line, though, the doc told me as long as we have the dog in the house she HIGHLY recommends having him on Nasonex and/or Singulair at all times. I am just not up for medicating him if he doesn't need to be. So, DH and I have a long talk ahead of us tonight.

Poor little poochie, as much as she drives me nuts, she is my first baby. She's almost five, almost comletely blind thanks to juvenile cataracts, and as sweet as she is annoying! We've had a lot of people offer to take her off our hands over the past few years b/c everyone loves her so much, so I guess we'll just have to hold an auction and see who wins!

When I found out I had developed a slight dog allergy, we decided to kick her out of our bed and I take antihistamines, with DS, though, it's a different story. I don't want my 2 1/2 year old on daily meds if it can be avoided.

DH thinks I'm jumping up and down, packing up all the doggie stuff already, but I am actually sad...for the dog, DS, etc...sigh...

elektra
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Such a tough decision. But it sounds like you are doing the right thing for your family. I would be heartbroken if I had to find new homes for my dogs (even though they do drive me crazy sometimes!), but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

niccig
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
A friend was in the same position. Her DS has really bad asthma - hospitalized several times. Finally, they were told that their dog wasn't good for their DS. They looked around and talked to their vet - she was looking for a dog and it was perfect fit. They're still dealing with asthma, but you have to do as much as you can to reduce medical issues for your kids. I'm sure you can find a home where she is loved and happy.

lizajane
02-27-2008, 04:54 PM
i am so sorry. :( my dogs are part of our family so i can understand.

ThreeofUs
02-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry! What a heart-wrenching decision.... May you find a wonderful home for your puppy, and may all your allergies get better.

{{hug}}

lablover
02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm soooo sorry and I completely understand as we've been trying to do everything under the sun to have my dog and dog-allergic DD co-exist. DD did start on Singulair last November and will be on it at least through the winter due to other issues (viral induced asthma, plus she tested positive for dust mites.) Singulair has fixed the problem for now. But I don't know what will happen come Spring if she comes off of it (I am bracing for seasonal allergies so I don't know if she will be able to stop it.) Dealing with this has been the most stressful thing of my life and although I'm thankful that besides her numerous allergies she is a healthy girl, I can't help but get angry from time to time. Our dog was our first child, our baby, our life for so long....Not to mention the fact that all of our family members and 90% of our friends have dogs so it seems we can't go to anyone's house anymore.

I'm sorry you have to go through this - it sucks.

MamaMolly
02-27-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm sorry for you guys! We are in a similar boat with our kitties. When we moved overseas a few years ago my mom graciously took in my 2 'boys' with the understanding that they'd come back to us when we got back. Now we have DD and she actually gets hives/swelling etc. from cats and we had to leave the cats with mom. No one is thrilled with this, but even though I had one for 16 years and one for 14, DH and I agree that DD's health has to come first. :( Stinks, doesn't it?

Radosti
02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
When we had this house built, I insisted on hardwood floors everywhere. My biggest concern was being able to control allergens if we ended up with allergic kids. We have a bigger issue as we have 6 pets, so would be much harder to find the perfect homes for them. Especially since many of them are considered senior.

Good luck and I hope you find the right home for your dog.