PDA

View Full Version : Anyone developed a hernia during pregnancy?

Jenn30
02-27-2008, 05:21 PM
During my monthly OBGYN visit Monday, she mentioned I had developed a small hernia above my uterus. I asked her what that meant and she said "nothing really." She said that it sometimes happens and is more common in second pregnancies. As usual, I didn't ask the questions during my visit like I should have. Now I am freaking out a bit wondering what this means. My googling doesn't seem to be doing much good.

I understand that it is just that my abdominal muscles have separated a bit. Do I need to limit activity in any way? I would think that she would mention if I should. We had my 42 lb DS with us that I have asked about picking up before. Before, she said it was OK. Now I'm worried about picking him up.

My next visit is March 28. I don't know if I will just wait until then to ask questions or call sooner. Anyone have/had their doc tell them they had the same condition? Any info is much appreciated. :thanks:

cono0507
02-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I had my second in August and developed an umbilical hernia around 32 weeks or so while I was laughing really hard. It just popped out and was very painful. I pushed it back in but had to be careful the rest of the pregnancy to push on it if I was straining to keep it from popping out again. Haven't had any issue with it since then and can't even tell now that it was even a problem. Hope yours doesn't cause you any problems or pain!

ltmommy
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I had a really bad one with DD, and it drove me nuts because apparently they are usually no big deal. I really couldn't find much about it on the internet at all. Mine would pop out constantly and cause considerable pain - I ended up devising a little belt out of one of those strappy things that is supposed to be used to support your big belly, and that seemed to hold it in. All of the docs said there was nothing I could do about it while pg, and most seemed to think that it would go away on its own after I delivered. Mine actually didn't though, and I had hernia repair surgery when DD was about 3 mos. It didn't really bother me at all when I was pg with DS, except when I got really big and I felt a little tugging sensation in that area.

AngelaS
02-28-2008, 07:39 AM
I didn't get one when I was pregnant, but after my gall bladder surgery, I developed one right above my bellybutton. It didn't hurt, except one day, while carrying a very heavy laundry basket, I did rip it bigger. I'd already gone for my surgery consult and he judged it to be nickel sized. In the two weeks between the consult and the surgery, I made it go to half dollar sized. Considering how much it hurt that day w/the laundry basket, I'm pretty sure that's the day it grew. :P

They're really only a problem if a bit of intestine slips thru the hole and strangulates. Then you'll get sick fast and they'll have to operate immediately. I opted to plan it instead of waiting for trouble. :)

brittone2
02-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I have one. I have a pretty bad diastasis recti (separated abs) from my 1st pgcy with DS, and a small hernia above my belly button.

I've considered getting my butt to physical therapy to help w/ the diastasis recti, but I just haven't done it yet. As a PT myself, I worry a bit about worsening the hernia with intense ab exercises. There is a practice somewhat nearby that deals w/ these types of post partum issues. It isn't my area of expertise by any stretch, so I'd like to talk w/ them about it.

As a PP said, it is good to know the signs of incarceration because if that happens and the intestine gets trapped, it can be a pretty serious medical emergency.

For now, I'm not planning on getting it fixed surgically, but I may do it down the road. I'm not sure.

hellbennt
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
yikes.
I have one (can one have more than one?)
& it was found by my Internist after I 'made' her press/poke around my abdomen- it (me making her press) started when I wanted to know if it was 'normal' for the top of my abdomen to still protrude a bit - just under my boobs- If I wear the 'wrong' clothes, I can look preggo & my ds2 is 19 mos!
well, apparently that's neither her nor there, bcse she came across an umbilical hernia...I asked if I could wait until summer to have surgery (I work in the school system so I have time then) & she said yes.

Should I go see another dr? who deals with this? just the general surgeon to whom I was referred?

In the meantime, should I be avoiding things? she didn't say much.
how will I know if something major happens, ie strangulation or something?
thank goodness for this board!

and, if this is straying off topic let me know where else to post it, but what *is* it with the top of my abdomen poofing out? am I 'just' totally & utterly out of shape, ie: practically no stomach muscles to speak of? or 'just' where my body collects fat? *sigh* how I liked being in denial...