PDA

View Full Version : WDW-MK w/ 3yo in early December?

tlw
02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm going to Orlando in Dec 08 for a conference at the Wyndham Orlando Resort on International Drive, just for 2-3 days. Should I take my 3yo to WDW-MK for the first time? What's there to do for kids his age? Should I stay in the conference hotel (Wyndham) or should I stay in a park hotel? Not really knowing what's there for 3yo, I guess we'd only go to MK for a day.

Thanks for you're help! I haven't been to MK in 18 years!

egoldber
02-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Three is a fabulous age for WDW. :) Your DS will be able to do anything that he meets the height limit for. A few rides have 40" height requirements and a few others have higher limits. Only 3 rides at the MK have any height requirement.

For 3 days, I would plan to do the MK for 2 days and one other park.

ETA for clarity.

Neatfreak
02-27-2008, 11:35 PM
We took our DD to WDW last spring when she was 2.75 years, and there was lots to do, even if our pace was slow. In addition to rides, she enjoyed spotting characters around the parks and getting stickers from them and watching the shows (Country Bear Jamboree at MK, Disney Playhouse and Little Mermaid at MGM), etc.

One of the best things we did was get a brochure from Guest Services called "Magic and Wonder for Kids 5 and Under" - it had great suggestions, even beyond what I'd read on www.allearsnet.com ...

klwa
02-28-2008, 07:57 AM
We just got back from taking DS (2). He & I had a wonderful time. Get there before opening to watch the opening ceremonies, DS loved them. Then head back to Fantasyland to ride all of the little kiddy rides. (Dumbo, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, the carousel, etc.) Depending on height, he may be able to ride Goofy's Barnstormer in Toontown (DS could.) I think the hieght restriction on that one is 36". In Toontown he can meet some of the characters, too. And that's just 2 of the lands. Take the train around the park, just for fun. MK was lots of fun for DS.

BeachBum
03-08-2008, 07:38 AM
I would also add that in December Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party will be happening. The park closes to regular guests at 7pm(I think) and is open to those with the Party ticket. In the past you have been able to get into the park with your party ticket at 4pm.
There are special parades and fake snow etc etc. The party ticket is less than a regular day's admission. I think for many people this could be a good deal. You may want to check into it more as you are planning.

As for to go or not to with your child--yes absolutely!

Some planning sites are allears.net, and disboards.com

colleenfs
03-31-2008, 08:37 PM
We went when the girls were 5 and 1.5, and my little one really had a great time even then. We just booked a trip for October 2008. The girls will be 6.75 and 3.25. I can't wait!! :cheerleader1:

AddiesMom
03-31-2008, 09:15 PM
If you want to do something else on another day w/o buying a pass, book Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary. We did the breakfast buffet, but had the last reservation at 11:15. The place emptied out and the characters came around several more times. We also brought a white pillowcase and fabric markers and had them sign it. It is my DD's favorite souvenier.

I also have to say, some people think toddlers are too young for Disney. We took DD in Jan at 26 months and she asks for the fireworks, it's a small world and pirates EVERY day. Thank goodness for You Tube, she gets her Disney fix!

jayali
04-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Yes - go - go - go - go!

We went for the first time last march and DS turned 3 in May. I must say that we were dreading it. DH and I are not Disney people, but we loved it so much we are going back in a few weeks to celebrate DS 4th birthday. We stayed at the Polynesian so I can't comment on any of the other hotels. There was so much to do in the MK we were there almost every day, even when we had things planned in the other parks we always made our way to MK to see the parade and fireworks. There is lots for kids to do and as previous posts mention most is dictated by height requirements. We were able to do lots and just being in the parks was fun. We did a few Character meals, which DS LOVED. Seeing his reaction to the characters and the wonder of it all really made the trip for us.

It is expensive so if you can get a break on the conference hotel I would suggest that. I think park tickets are about $60 a day and I don't remember if we had to buy tickets for DS. We did get a discount on the meal plan for him.